SDS100/SDS200: Earphone audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I've found that the audio out of my earphone jack is much weaker on the 100 than on the 436 when used with an external amplified speaker. I've used a couple of BT amplified speakers with wired inputs with the 436 that really boost the audio of the 436 but with the 100 the audio is not noticeably boosted at all with either speaker. Is the earphone jack configured differently? Should I use a different connector than a stereo or 3 wire connector?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you using a ground loop isolator between the scanner and speaker?

SCPD

QRT
I've found that the audio out of my earphone jack is much weaker on the 100 than on the 436 when used with an external amplified speaker. I've used a couple of BT amplified speakers with wired inputs with the 436 that really boost the audio of the 436 but with the 100 the audio is not noticeably boosted at all with either speaker. Is the earphone jack configured differently? Should I use a different connector than a stereo or 3 wire connector?

If there is no noticable humm/buzz/static theres no need for a ground loop isolator . The headphone volume is considerably lower on the sds100 so it doesnt cause ear damage from being too loud.. alot of people turn these scanners all the way up and then it goes off in their ers and causes hearing issues... Dont listen to what 1 person says.. The only way you need a gsi (ground loop isolator) are in times when the preamplified speaker always has a hum or his at any volume and remains even after a transmission...

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
There is no hum; just weak audio. Not enough to drive the amplified speaker adequately. The 436 was attenuated too but definitely sufficient to drive an external amplified speaker.

SCPD

QRT
There is no hum; just weak audio. Not enough to drive the amplified speaker adequately. The 436 was attenuated too but definitely sufficient to drive an external amplified speaker.

A ground Loop Isolator will just weaken the audio signal more on you.

Have you tried turning the volume to like 8 while on the amplified speaker? 8-10 works for me but I suppose the amplified speaker you use may have a different input sensitivity.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber

Interesting you have a difference. My 436, now sold, was at volume 6 plugged into my car's mp3 input with reasonable volume. SDS100 now replacing the 436 with same connection setup in car at volume 6 and I would say the volume is the same or very close. No change made to car's volume control.

Mike

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I’ve done some more testing. I’ve found that if I do not fully insert the audio cable plug into the scanner or into the speaker then the audio output of the amplified speaker is as loud as the 436 when set to the same volume levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.