SDS100/SDS200: Sds100 gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Was the reason not to include gps internally on the scanner a power issue? A cost issue? I’m just curious as every phone on the planet has a low power gps it would have been nice to have it built in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I believe I read somewhere on the forums that it was not put in because of the cost/use ratio. As it is something that most people don't use, it doesn't make sense to add it on every device. Also the GPS settings in RR are not always correct so people with less technical skill would be complaining their devices do not work.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I believe I read somewhere on the forums that it was not put in because of the cost/use ratio. As it is something that most people don't use, it doesn't make sense to add it on every device. Also the GPS settings in RR are not always correct so people with less technical skill would be complaining their devices do not work.

Yet as soon as the SDS100 came out they sold out of GPS cables, Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
IMO, it's an error on Uniden's part, given how useful GPS integration is. If people are willing to send $75 and a $650 scanner to some crank they met on an online forum to get an internal GPS, then a lot more people would probably be willing to spend an extra $20-25 to have it integrated into the design at the factory without complicating warranty service.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
IMO, it's an error on Uniden's part, given how useful GPS integration is. If people are willing to send $75 and a $650 scanner to some crank they met on an online forum to get an internal GPS, then a lot more people would probably be willing to spend an extra $20-25 to have it integrated into the design at the factory without complicating warranty service.

This: download (1).jpg

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha I I figured it may have been a oversight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
And scannermaster is out of stock again lol
So no an internal GPS is not popular (eye roll)

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

noaim

Premium Subscriber
And scannermaster is out of stock again lol
So no an internal GPS is not popular (eye roll)

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronty

Premium Subscriber

Just want to continue to reiterate how much a LOVE my internal GPS mod from jonwienke on my SDS100 and my 436. Best money I ever spent on my scanner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
UPMan did indeed state that it was a cost/profit consideration. I forget which of the many SDS100 threads it was in, but it was a response to a post of mine critical of Uniden's decision not to include GPS.

I still think it is indicative of a lack of understanding on Uniden's part how important and how popular integrated GPS is in a handheld. At least there is some sort of "one cord solution" to an external GPS, though some of the components seem to be repeatedly out of stock.

Also the GPS settings in RR are not always correct so people with less technical skill would be complaining their devices do not work.
While this is a valid concern, and likely came up during development meetings, there will always be those who don't understand the technology. No matter how well a product manual describes a feature or lays out a function, there is always a group who, for many reasons, "don't get it."

Despite the above, I'm very happy that some "crank met on an online forum to get an internal GPS" stepped in to fill the void. ;-)

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I opted for an external GPS from Jon, he shipped it today, thanks Jon

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Bronty

Premium Subscriber

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

I got one of those babies too which I use with my HP-2 and now my 536. The quality is impeccable. I have been traveling in PA this week and it’s so awesome to set it and forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

You will not be disappointed. Excellent piece of equipment.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
You will not be disappointed. Excellent piece of equipment.

It just showed up, definitely not disappointed, the external unit and cable are very well built :)

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It just showed up, definitely not disappointed, the external unit and cable are very well built :)

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

I've always placed mine on the dash but Jon says you can put about anywhere. I think he even said it could go under the seat, not that I would want to do that. But, it may be an indicator of its sensitivity.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've always placed mine on the dash but Jon says you can put about anywhere. I think he even said it could go under the seat, not that I would want to do that. But, it may be an indicator of its sensitivity.

Under the seat is a generally dumb place to put the GPS, but I've tried it as a test, with the antenna facing down into the metal floor, and the unit still kept satellite lock. In marginal reception conditions it may not receive under the seat or in the glove box or whatever, so for best results on the dash or the center console would probably be best. But it can be entertaining to find a place where it won't work.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I’m in the hotel away from windows and it’s locking perfectly

Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.