Rebuilt BP200 Battery Pack charge time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I decided to restore an old Bearcat 200 XLT scanner, and rebuilt the batter pack with 1800mAh NiMH cells, Using the stock Uniden charger, how long do you think it shoud take to charge it? The manual states 12-14 hours for the 600mAh NiCd pack which seems high. Do I really need to charge this thing for a day and 1/2?

dkf435

YES. Look for a MAHA MH-C777 charger, been there done that years ago. Using the wall charger may not hit the cells hard enough and may have problems with cells shorting. The MH-C777 may be a better way.

David

JustLou

I actually have owned the MH-C777 PLUS for many years, but haven't used it since it set one of my HT's battery on fire about 5 years ago.

JustLou

Were you using the temp sensor at the time?

David

Honestly, I don't remember. I believe so. All I remember was that I had the battery on it for about an hour while I was in another room, and I smelled something burning.

JustLou

Yes. The scanner will be using a C/10 charge rate, so about 60 mA, so over 30 hours to transition from fully discharged to fully charged, less for partial discharges.

OK. Thanks. No big deal I guess. The radio for the most part will be mostly for "show" in my radio collection of vintage radios. I have been using it though. There's still a lot of stuff on analog UHF in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.