WS1040: Outdoor temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad1b

I am planning on being outdoors for several hours on Saturday and am wondering what effects 90 degree heat will have on my WS1040 if I choose too use it.I will be in both shade and Sun and am using alkaline batteries from Duracelll.
Thanks in advance
Scott

K7MFC

WRAA720
lol if my scanners can survive 140° temps in my truck during an Arizona summer, you'll be just fine.

DJ11DLN

I have a Pro-651 that is the same unit as your 1040, I've left it in my black Silverado in the sun for several hours, windows up. No tint. Not sure how hot the pickup cab was but hot. It's never failed to work. Likewise have left it out in the pickup or a car in negative temps, again it powers right on, sometimes the display is a little sluggish at first. I'd say they are pretty tolerant of temperature extremes -- just my humble opinion.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Not sure how hot the pickup cab was but hot.

If I let my truck sit out for a few hours baking in the Arizona sun, it gets to be about 140° in the cabin:

HX9fcpT.png

Never been an issue for any electronics - scanners, cell phones, hand held radios, etc. So if all my gear survives summer after in summer here in Phoenix, heat should not be an issue for anyone else lol.

DJ11DLN

If I let my truck sit out for a few hours baking in the Arizona sun, it gets to be about 140° in the cabin:

Never been an issue for any electronics - scanners, cell phones, hand held radios, etc. So if all my gear survives summer after in summer here in Phoenix, heat should not be an issue for anyone else lol.

I've never put a thermostat to it though the local news did a spot awhile back showing that a black car got to almost 160F inside after 2 hours sitting in the sun here. Just glad my A/C blows ice cubes, I'm currently blessed that way with both vehicles. I try to park in a shady place if I can, though it's not usually possible. And when you buy used stuff the way I do you can't pick your colors. The car is silver and it doesn't get nearly as hot as the pickup does.

The only thing I ever had a problem with was a CB radio way back in the early 1980s. If it got too hot or too cold it needed a few minutes to stabilize before it would work right. Nothing else electronics-wise ever really caused me a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.