GPS for SDS100 coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

Hey Upman,

Does Uniden have any plans to release a new GPS receiver for the SDS100 that has a simplified micro USB connector to connect directly to the SDS100.

This is something that needs updating badly. The current GPS receiver has a bulky cigarette lighter power adapter, and an RS232 connector. Then you have to buy a special cable to covert the outdated RS232 to microUSB so that it can be plugged into the SDS100.

It would be much simpler if they just offered a new low power GPS receiver that connected directly to the SDS100 with microUSB and took power from directly from the scanner. I can't believe this isn't possible considering that most radios come with built-in GPS these days. Leaving it out of the SDS100 was a bad decision on the part of Uniden. But offering the clumsy old GPS receiver with clumsy cable conversion and unwieldy power adapter as the only GPS solution is just plain ridiculous.

durangoGreg

I was wondering if that puck would work with the SDS100.

That cable doesn't seem to be the correct one. Don't you need a DB9 to microUSB? The connector on the side of the SDS100 is microUSB. That looks like DB9 and USB to microUSB.

Has anyone confirmed that this actually works with the SDS100?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

That cable doesn't seem to be the correct one. Don't you need a DB9 to microUSB? The connector on the side of the SDS100 is microUSB. That looks like DB9 and USB to microUSB.

Many folks have....including ScannerMaster...maybe you have heard of them? :cool::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlzSdJAUWts

Marshall KE4ZNR

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

The GPS connector on the SDS100 is the mini-USB (lower connector), not the micro-USB (upper connector). And yes I've confirmed this by doing numerous internal GPS installs where I wire the GPS to the mini-USB inside the scanner.

durangoGreg

OK, thanks all for the information.

I guess those are the best options right now. It sure beats the chaotic assembly of cords and adapters that were necessary with the original RS-232 connector GPS puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.