• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 & MT2000 tech question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I have an HT1000 16-Channel UHF (S split) that has super low audio on receive. When I swapped it out to replace the back battery plate I noticed there were two boards....a controller board & transceiver board. If I purchase an S split transceiver board off ebay (that is tested to work) that should fix my issue right?

I also have 2 MT2000's (VHF-K split) one partial keypad & one full keypad both with front displays & both with pixels that are so broken you really can't read them. If I purchase a couple used units on ebay with good pixel displays I can swap out the display boards right regardless of what band split they are?

N4KVE

The display assemblies/boards are the same. Full keypad, partial keypad, any band. But if you buy a different transceiver board, & install it, the radio would then need to be aligned, as the tuning settings are stored in the controller board.

mancow

Database Admin
Is the audio amp on the controller or the RF deck? I can't remember but you might check the service manual.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I don't know how to repair the boards myself .... yet but I have swapped them out with no problem. My usual radio guy says it might be more then he can handle as he says Mother M uses some pretty intricate circuits. However I found a guy on ebay who will sell me the boards and have them ready for me to just install for $20 not including shipping. I just have to give him the model # of my "S" split HT1000 and the S/N. I may go that route. Ok so next challenge which I'm pretty sure I can handle myself is getting some good pixel screens from some used MT2000's and/or MTS2000's so I can swap out the two broken pixel screens off my 2 MT2000's. Got some leads off ebay.

RadioGuy7268

Why go to all the trouble?

I found a guy on ebay who will sell me the boards and have them ready for me to just install for $20 not including shipping. I just have to give him the model # of my "S" split HT1000 and the S/N.

Pretty sure you can find a complete and working HT1000 on eBay for $20 - shipping included. No need to swap parts or boards. Just plug & play.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Pretty sure you can find a complete and working HT1000 on eBay for $20 - shipping included. No need to swap parts or boards. Just plug & play.

I second this. Or pay a little more, & get MTS2000’s.

Or move onto radios that are in every way better. Better built, better performing, smaller and are not all that more expensive.

If the OP is dead set on sticking to Motorola, then I would skip right to either a XTS2500 or XTS5000. Big plus is that the CPS is compatible with modern computers, and you don’t need to mess with serial ports.

Frankly I don’t know why one wants to mess with anything older, that is fussy if trying to program with a USB->serial adapter.

If one is patient, they can be had for a reasonable price(under $300) there is a TON of this gear hitting the surplus market.

The alternative is to look at other brands.

Vertex and Kenwood make some solid gear, cheap and is far more capable than a HT1000 or MT/MTS2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zz0468

QRT
Banned

This ^^^

I've had an almost 100% success rate buying working HT1000's on eBay. Once you get your working radio, spend a few more bucks on a new or clean used case, if needed, and you end up with an almost new looking radio for pretty cheap.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Frankly I don’t know why one wants to mess with anything older, that is fussy if trying to program with a USB->serial adapter.

If one is patient, they can be had for a reasonable price(under $300) there is a TON of this gear hitting the surplus market.

Price? An HT1000 is 10 dB less costly than an XTS.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
And it’s also 10dB more of a pain in the but to program.

Depends... I've got DOS computers, RIBs, OEM cables, and software. Programming is a piece of cake.

For someone starting from scratch, a RIBless USB cable and CPS that runs under Windows would be easier. Yeah, DOS could be a pain.

Last edited:

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
I don't disagree with the newer stuff being far better but I hold a lot of value with the older stuff such as the Genesis, Jedi, Maxtrac, Radius, Spectra, etc. plus I'm set up to program it. I also agree there is a ton of great gear for those series radios on ebay and cheap!!! The prices on the newer stuff is usually a bit more than I want to spend. As far as the HT1000 it's in great shape and works great with the exception of the receive audio problem so I wanna try to fix it so it can be 100%. It'll be good for me to take it apart and learn the inside's as well. And I'll be looking for more of the same cheap on ebay. Matter of fact I bought an HT1000 (VHF) ex-BNSF Railroad radio on Propertyroom.com for $4 with $12.95 shipping and brought it home and programmed it up and she works like a charm!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.