Recommendations for 2M for new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movieman990

I'm getting ready to buy a 2m unit in the $200 range probably and from researching here and elsewhere there are plenty of options from major manufacturers on down.

I have looked at multiple models from Icom and Yaesu primarily. It looks like the mfgs offer a model and then maybe within a year offer similar with a new or different feature. Model 1 might have no fan but model 2 will have a fan as an example. No way a person could stay current for very long.

On the other hand some of the retailers like Ham Radio Outlet still sell older models and the prices get down as low as $130 with free shipping ! Looks like a buyer's market to me.

>>>>>>>>>>>

I am looking for what people here use and are happy with. In regard to one of the slightly older but still available models the Icom IC-3100r I did a search here and the keyword pops up but mostly in the user's lists of radios they own. I don't think I saw much really being said about it. I am not keying in on just that one, but its features seem pretty good and what I feel I would use.

I have no need for digital...seems like most people use conventional. 200 memories...seems like enough to me.

Hope this gives you an idea of what I might be looking for. A mobile that could be a base, ease of use, etc. Sure, tell me something I SHOULD be asking about and then go ahead and give me the answer at the same time.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, so it looks like you are in Stockton.
Yeah, if all you need is a basic 2 meter analog only radio, then you are in a "buyers market".

Digital may be great, but there are several non-compatible digital modes. Unless you know exactly which digital mode you want to use, there really isn't a reason to pick one now. A basic 2 meter analog radio will work great, especially in your area. Analog is still king and will be for a long time.

As for which brand, it's sort of like cars, everyone has their favorite and reasons why they wouldn't ever buy that "other brand". Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, are all good and you won't go wrong with those brands.

Don't fall for the low end Chinese stuff. If it has a name you cannot pronounce, don't waste your money on it. For a first radio, get something that is known. The big three brands will have a lot of support.

Also, don't focus on just RF output power. There are radios that will do 65-80 watts. Truth is you rarely need that much power. It's so much more about good antennas.
I'd much rather have a 5 watt radio with a good antenna than an 80 watt radio with a crappy antenna.

A couple of things that will make life easier:
Get the PC programming software and cable. It makes it easier to get started. Absolutely, learn how to program the radio without it, but loading in a bunch of repeaters is much easier with a laptop.

Wire it to the battery. Don't tap into existing vehicle wiring.

Do your antenna system right. That doesn't have to mean expensive. If this is for vehicle use, get a quarter wave NMO antenna. Should cost around $10. Ideally use a permanent mount NMO on the top/center of the vehicle roof. Mag mount if you must, but make sure you route the cable correctly.
You'll never go wrong with a properly installed NMO up high with a quarter wave antenna.

You'll eventually want something better. Dual band, digital, etc. But for a first radio and for learning the ropes, a 2 meter mobile will serve you fine. When you figure out where your interests lie and where the locals are, then look at something else. No need to blow all your hard earned cash on a high dollar radio right now. In your area you'll have more 2 meter repeaters than you can shake a stick at. 70cm can be useful, and if you are interested in a dual band, then there are some good options. Personally, I found 2 meters worked fine for me.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm getting ready to buy a 2m unit in the $200 range probably and from researching here and elsewhere there are plenty of options from major manufacturers on down.

I have looked at multiple models from Icom and Yaesu primarily. It looks like the mfgs offer a model and then maybe within a year offer similar with a new or different feature. Model 1 might have no fan but model 2 will have a fan as an example. No way a person could stay current for very long.

On the other hand some of the retailers like Ham Radio Outlet still sell older models and the prices get down as low as $130 with free shipping ! Looks like a buyer's market to me.

>>>>>>>>>>>

I am looking for what people here use and are happy with. In regard to one of the slightly older but still available models the Icom IC-3100r I did a search here and the keyword pops up but mostly in the user's lists of radios they own. I don't think I saw much really being said about it. I am not keying in on just that one, but its features seem pretty good and what I feel I would use.

I have no need for digital...seems like most people use conventional. 200 memories...seems like enough to me.

Hope this gives you an idea of what I might be looking for. A mobile that could be a base, ease of use, etc. Sure, tell me something I SHOULD be asking about and then go ahead and give me the answer at the same time.

TM-271. While it is discontinued I would recommend it over the TM281 because it is limited to 25w and 65w. There is no 5w or 10w setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
OK, so it looks like you are in Stockton.
Yeah, if all you need is a basic 2 meter analog only radio, then you are in a "buyers market".

Digital may be great, but there are several non-compatible digital modes. Unless you know exactly which digital mode you want to use, there really isn't a reason to pick one now. A basic 2 meter analog radio will work great, especially in your area. Analog is still king and will be for a long time.

As for which brand, it's sort of like cars, everyone has their favorite and reasons why they wouldn't ever buy that "other brand". Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, are all good and you won't go wrong with those brands.

Don't fall for the low end Chinese stuff. If it has a name you cannot pronounce, don't waste your money on it. For a first radio, get something that is known. The big three brands will have a lot of support.

Also, don't focus on just RF output power. There are radios that will do 65-80 watts. Truth is you rarely need that much power. It's so much more about good antennas.
I'd much rather have a 5 watt radio with a good antenna than an 80 watt radio with a crappy antenna.

A couple of things that will make life easier:
Get the PC programming software and cable. It makes it easier to get started. Absolutely, learn how to program the radio without it, but loading in a bunch of repeaters is much easier with a laptop.

Wire it to the battery. Don't tap into existing vehicle wiring.

Do your antenna system right. That doesn't have to mean expensive. If this is for vehicle use, get a quarter wave NMO antenna. Should cost around $10. Ideally use a permanent mount NMO on the top/center of the vehicle roof. Mag mount if you must, but make sure you route the cable correctly.
You'll never go wrong with a properly installed NMO up high with a quarter wave antenna.

You'll eventually want something better. Dual band, digital, etc. But for a first radio and for learning the ropes, a 2 meter mobile will serve you fine. When you figure out where your interests lie and where the locals are, then look at something else. No need to blow all your hard earned cash on a high dollar radio right now. In your area you'll have more 2 meter repeaters than you can shake a stick at. 70cm can be useful, and if you are interested in a dual band, then there are some good options. Personally, I found 2 meters worked fine for me.

I will second everything mmckenna just wrote.

When it comes to software, RT Systems is the way to go. Additionally as your fleet of radios grows you can keep buying RT Systems for each radio you acquire and be able to copy and paste between each model.

Simple antennas are the best. A Larsen 1/4 wave or Larsen 5/8 wave are hard to beat for performance and will last almost forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Radio

The Yaesu FT 60R has a long and very good track record. It is a dual bander, but sells for around $160.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts...F-iGDSYd3H2vX_jBxGq_kZgUpx5ZpV9hoC08IQAvD_BwE

Free programming software is available or you can use Chirp, which is also free. It is not a cheap Chinese radio, but a well engineered Yaesu built to last. I have had mine at least 8 years and other than replace the battery it has worked flawlessly. See the eHam reviews (https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4286) for an overall picture of the quality.

Movieman990

Thanks to the hams above who gave some good advice. I know that having the most power is not the most important thing and that a good antenna is worth a lot.

I know the big three names (and there are lesser known too I'm sure) and that is what I'm looking at for a mobile unit.

I've been a ham for a month now and about 3 weeks ago Amazon made a deal I couldn't refuse and I took it. They offered me an ICC (that's INEXPENSIVE Chinese Radio as opposed to a CCR) AND a programming cable to go with it....for FREE, I couldn't refuse.

I have been using it for 3 weeks and of course the software approach is the only way to go if you are more used to working with spreadsheets than with multiple levels of push buttons and rotating knobs. No sense in punishing oneself if there's a ligit easier solution. I'm using CHIRP with no problems.

I just got back from a sunset walk with my dog and reached out to a repeater about 30 miles away with this little HT and got a nice signal to and from a fellow about 40 miles to my south. The triangle approach through the repeater made for a nice conversation. Turns out he remembered me from the testing his club did 4 weeks ago and wondered when I was coming down for the general exam.

First things, first, but going well here in the central valley of California.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming please. 73

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I see a lot of new hams that seem to have a wad of cash burning a hole in their pockets. Some like to buy the fanciest radio they can get for their first rig.
Not sure that's always the best choice. Sort of like learning to crawl before you run. Amateur radio has many facets, and there isn't one radio that can do it all.
A basic 2 meter radio will give you easy local communication for a decent price. As you've done with your portable radio, you can make local contacts and start to develop connections in the hobby. That'll let you learn what others are doing around you.

From your location, 2 meters with a decent antenna will give you a lot of options. There are a lot of repeaters around you on the mountain tops.

I started off a long time ago with a 2 meter only mobile. Worked very well for me for about 15 years. I replaced it with a dual band mobile and found some use of the UHF bands. There are some good linked UHF repeater systems in the area. Welcome - K6LNK - California Amateur Radio Linking Association is a good option if you want to reach out a bit further.

If a dual band is something you'd be interested in, the Yaesu FT-7900 is a good option. Low price, and has a lot of features. Not the "best", but will do just about everything you need.

Either way, really focus on the antenna. Avoid the amateur/consumer grade antennas, stick with the known good stuff. Can't go wrong with a quarter wave on VHF. Larsen NMO-2/70 is a good choice if you want to go with a dual band radio. Avoid the gimmick antennas. With the hills all around you, high gain antennas are not really needed.

kf4sek

Might I suggest the Icom IC-2300H. Very easy to program, enough power to hit those distant repeaters or simplex stations. All around a great 2M mobile.

Another option, if you can find one, is the Icom IC-V8000. Loud front firing speaker, 75 watts on high. Another great choice.

I don't really care for the Yaesu stuff lately. They have seemed to have gone down hill, in my own opinion. I would pick Icom or even Kenwood or Alinco over Yaesu these days.

For dual band, I have the Kenwood TM-V71A and love it. Has 50 watts on both VHF and UHF. Easy to program.

I hope this helps somewhat, if any.

73!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Over the years, I've had numerous VHF/UHF radios and I've always been impressed with Kenwood rigs - always capable, reliable, and competitively priced... entry-level (and inexpensive) 2M only TM271/281; mid-range dual band/dual receive TM-v71; top-tier dual band/dual receive with GPS TM-v710g.

...My two cents!

KD2FIQ

I have two Kenwood TM-281A mobile 2 meter radios. Rock solid. Very easy to program from the radio. Very affordable. No noisy fan (uses heatsinks).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HandiScratchy

My rig is an Icom 2100H with a ground plane antenna I built from copper house wire and a PL259 connector at 25-30' AGL but in the attic. I participate in a regular simplex net and get great audio reports from over 20 miles away. The 2100H is an old 2m only rig but I got it for less than $100 from the Ham Station but later one was traded on the air here for less than $75. Old gear can get you but most of the time if you buy a rig that was good when new it will be good for you.

If I had ~$200 to spend I'd buy a Yaesu FTM7250DR, specifically because it is a dual band radio in the price range. I happen to have an FT70DR so I'm familiar with and enjoy C4FM but leaving digital out of it I still think the FTM7250 would be a good choice for you. Not a lot of user reviews on this one yet but the overall tone is positive so far.

Not sure why you want to restrict to 2m. Here's what Repeater Book says is available in your area (If Stockton is correct) and it has a lot of 440 in the list, more than 2m. I don't know the area but I'd feel like I was missing out with just a 2m rig.
https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/location_search.php?state_id=06&type=city&loc=Stockton

bharvey2

Movieman990, while you mentioned that you're in the market for a 2 meter mobile, you may seriously want to consider a dual band radio. Nothing is wrong with the recommendations offered so far. I would "second" a number of them. However, there is a lot of 70cm activity in California. I live in the Bay Area and travel within California quite a bit. I have a number of UHF only radios but only one 2 meter only radio and I rarely use it anymore. While you'd pay a bit more for a dual band initially, it'd be cheaper than realizing you want to expand into a dual band at a later date and needing to buy another radio. I'm a Kenwood fan so I've got a number of TM-V71A radios. But, nothing is wrong with Icom or Yaesu. If this is your first radio, I'd stick with one of the "Big Three" and avoid the Chinese radios for now. The support will be much better and you won't be as likely to encounter the strange programming and operational issues that can plague the CCRs (cheap Chinese radios)

Movieman990

Thanks to the latest posters....

Still good thoughts coming in with some people suggesting a dual band. I understand the logic behind that and am trying to take it into account.

Since it's not really a matter of a $50 to $100 additional for going with the dual band, I'm still looking. I just didn't want to go with something in the $500 and up range that these mfgs offer.

I'm pretty tuned into what's being used in my area having looked at repeater maps, etc and tuning into several area nets. I still am leaning to the big 3 mfgs despite having seen some ham club members with "go boxes" using the Chinese radios.

So, thanks and any further posts will still be looked at with value.

Status
Not open for further replies.