Waterbury TRS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Ok before anyone jumps on me and says that you can’t legally do this. The FCC states as long as your are not cloning IDs, reproducing IDs and/or interfering, affailating with, or causeing harmful interference with that this is perfectly legal.

I am trying to program the trs into a Motorola radio with the hidden talkgroup/non affiliate scan method. I have done this multiple times on a Smartzone system but never a phase I system. So fast forward I get it programmed and it changes to an active talkgroup while scanning but there is no audio. I have verified that the speaker works by putting in a simplex channel and using a portable to test. So I set the offset the talkgroups and the system up right as I’m receiving a transmission but there is no audio at all

Someone might have a little insight to help out?

N1GTL

Database Admin
Waterbury uses Johnson radios with a control channel that changes. I'm not sure if the Motorola you have can follow a Johnson system.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Waterbury uses Johnson radios with a control channel that changes. I'm not sure if the Motorola you have can follow a Johnson system.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I thought the FD uses APX a that’s why thought this would work

N1GTL

Database Admin
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I thought the FD uses APX a that’s why thought this would work

Short of getting one of their model radios, you can put all 9 repeater channels in and just scan them. The whole city is on the system but from 5:00 pm until about 8:00 am, the police and fire are really the only active agencies. You'll just need to lock out the control channel manually as it changes.

APX7500X2

I listen to Waterbury with the hidden talkgroup/non affiliate scan method on an XTS2500 and APX6000 with no issues at all

cg

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it makes a difference with the commercial radios but the band plan for Waterbury is not the default.

chris

N1GTL

Database Admin
Well, if APX7500X2 knows how to set it up, it would be nice to share. Isn't that what the forums are about? I am both out of range of Waterbury and have no interest in monitoring them. I don't know how so I cannot offer any further suggestions.

ansky

Short of getting one of their model radios, you can put all 9 repeater channels in and just scan them. The whole city is on the system but from 5:00 pm until about 8:00 am, the police and fire are really the only active agencies. You'll just need to lock out the control channel manually as it changes.

This is what I was going to suggest too. It's obviously not ideal, and you may miss conversations, but it's better than not hearing anything at all. Way back in the early 90's I used to monitor the Bristol TRS this way. This was before the PD went encrypted, and at the time they only had 3 active frequencies in use, so it was pretty easy to follow.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I listen to Waterbury with the hidden talkgroup/non affiliate scan method on an XTS2500 and APX6000 with no issues at all

I’m using all the info from RR Database. So if it’s not genre that’s why it’s not working. Would you mind lending a hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.