What a waste of time ordering from zipscanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Placed my first ever order with zip scanners on Saturday.

After ordering online, I received an email stating they needed me to send a picture of my drivers license, that my order was flagged as being possible fraud. Ok sent them what they asked for immediately.

Calle first them on Sunday, was told that my order was approved and that my scanner will be packaged up on ship on Monday.

On Monday, I started reading from threads about them on RR and decided to live chat them in the early afternoon. They confirmed that my package was on the list to be shipped out today. Again assuring me that package was going out today.

I again live chatted them at 9pm asking for tracking and included my order number., I was told, they are unavailable for chat, to please leave a message (what happened to 24/7 support).

I texted them at 10pm and again was told my package was shipping today and that I would get tracking info in a while.

Well I woke up this morning to no tracking info at all.

What a waste of time. I already sent them a message to cancel my order and refund my money. Paypal was also notified.

I knew this was going to be a problem as soon as I ordered the item, I immediately received an email from them telling me I forgot to add programming to my order.

I guess my order wasn’t a priority because I wasn’t dumb enough to order programming at a major upcharge.

Buyer beware.

Attachments

• 40CCAD5B-B997-47A4-8866-5E0AA4EFD31A.jpg
    40CCAD5B-B997-47A4-8866-5E0AA4EFD31A.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,755
Last edited:

lou9155

being unhappy with zipscanners is prob the most popular thread/post on RR...you should have researched them before ordering not after....im curious why did you pick them

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
My ham radio dealer didn’t sell them, and I usually go to amazon, but they are also out. I see zipscanner all o RT the place, so I figured I’d give them a try.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I just ordered a couple of scanners (not BCD100) for work through bearcatwarehouse and they get it right and out the door quick.

trp2525

Thanks, as soon as I get a Paypal refund from them I’ll reorder from somewhere else

FYI I purchased my SDS100 from webtron-x on eBay and I received a FedEx tracking number within 15 minutes of placing my order. They also offered FREE shipping and I had my scanner at my door just 2 days after placing my order. YMMV

In addition to selling on their own website (www.webtron-x.com) they also sell on eBay and Amazon if either of those shopping platforms is more convenient for you.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I guess we’ll play this game for a few days, as zipscanner says they issued me a refund, yet Paypal confirms no issue has been made by zipscanner. Worst case scenario, refund in 10 days via PayPal dispute I had to open. Lesson learned here.

Attachments

• 8EABBE28-FD6D-495E-9FAD-4B2B27BF6435.jpg
    8EABBE28-FD6D-495E-9FAD-4B2B27BF6435.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,410

SCPD

QRT
Zip scanners failed me too, I wanted a radio,they said they had it and then nothing, no email we don't have it, no whoops we goofed.I had to do all the work chasing them down.
HRO or Ham radio outlet ships fast and has the SDS100!(no I don't work for them, I just like them)

baj76

Uniden fanboy
Scannermasters is pretty fast, I ordered today around 8am and I just received a email saying my order has shipped with my tracking number

trp2525

I guess we’ll play this game for a few days, as zipscanner says they issued me a refund, yet Paypal confirms no issue has been made by zipscanner. Worst case scenario, refund in 10 days via PayPal dispute I had to open. Lesson learned here.

That is really poor customer service on the part of "Joey" at Zip Scanners. There is another RR thread concerning Zip Scanners (https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/375015-do-not-buy-zipscanners.html) where someone had a GPS cable on order for the SDS100. After waiting 2 months he inquired by telephone and email but got no timely response to his inquiry. When Zip Scanners finally contacted him a week later they accused him of harassing them by contacting them too many times and they then cancelled his order and told him they no longer wanted his business!

I have never ordered from Zip Scanners but the thing that REALLY turned me off about them was their charging $99.99 for EACH SDS100 upgrade (ProVoice, DMR and NXDN) when the scanner was initially offered for sale back in June. While I understand they can legally charge whatever they want under the capitalistic system, to me that is clearly price gouging and taking advantage of the scanner radio enthusiast/hobbyist. Compared to purchasing directly from Uniden, their $99.99 price was a $40 markup for each of the DMR and NXDN upgrades and a $50 markup for the ProVoice upgrade. If all 3 upgrades were purchased from Zip Scanners, the total extra charge/markup would be $130 which IMHO is excessive no matter how you look at it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yep, ScannerMaster is prompt, and fairly good customer service. I use them mainly for scanners and accessories and I am split between Gigaparts and Universal for amateur radios and accessories. And, if I see what I am looking for at half price, brand new, on eBay, and the seller is 100% good feedback with numerous sales I will sometimes take that chance. But, only if the savings are huge and their reputation for reliability is 100%

bgav

Premium Subscriber
+1 for ScannerMaster. They usually ship same day and being in-state I get my order the next day. I miss the walk-in showroom and scanner museum they used to have open at their office in Holliston :(.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Why don't you guys use HRO? They offer free shipping and have stores in nearly every part of the country. Do you really want someone to program your scanner for you?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have never ordered from Zip Scanners but the thing that REALLY turned me off about them was their charging $99.99 for EACH SDS100 upgrade (ProVoice, DMR and NXDN) when the scanner was initially offered for sale back in June. While I understand they can legally charge whatever they want under the capitalistic system, to me that is clearly price gouging and taking advantage of the scanner radio enthusiast/hobbyist. Compared to purchasing directly from Uniden, their $99.99 price was a $40 markup for each of the DMR and NXDN upgrades and a $50 markup for the ProVoice upgrade. If all 3 upgrades were purchased from Zip Scanners, the total extra charge/markup would be $130 which IMHO is excessive no matter how you look at it.

Look at it this way: with that big of a profit margin, all they have to do is sell a couple of items then they can go home and watch General Hospital.

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
I guess I was just lucky. I ordered my SDS100 three weeks ago while on vacation. They were one of the only places that still had any in stock for the "normal" $649 price. I had it delivered to my vacation address and had it in two business days. I was in Ohio at the time. Tracking info was supplied in a timely fashion.

YMMV.

John

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
+ Another one for Scanner Master. I always bought from a local electronic store (and friend) in town that sold scanners, but he recently retired. I bought a PSR-500 when they were new from Scanner Master- before our local guy was able to get GRE's. I was happy with their service.

I really like Scanner Master's presence here on Radio Reference, as well as their social media tutorials & review of products on Facebook. I have heard good things about HRO also. I wouldn't hesitate to check them out, either.

10-75

Feed Provider
Had the same experience.... Never again will I order from them. I paid with PayPal which is probably safer for them than if I ordered with a CC. They said my order was flagged for possible fraud and they wanted a copy of my driver's license or passport... I'm not sending anyone over the web either one... Today I ordered from Scanner Master who has a much better reputation all around.... Ordered on the web via PayPal and received a tracking number within hours... The only reason I didn't order from SM originally is they had no stock... Zip claimed they did and I suspect they didn't...

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
just order from jeff at the Hamstation, Universal Radio, or Scannermaster, then no issue

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I stopped ordering from HRO, as you can’t see your past purchases, very outdated ordering system. I’ll order another one as soon as I get my refund from these crooks at zipscanners

Status
Not open for further replies.