SDS100/SDS200: Sentinel DCR Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Upman --

A couple of design change request issues that I'd like to see addressed in an upcoming version of Sentinel:

(I'm logging these issues against the Version 10 software but I believe they existed in previous versions.)

1. I set my SDS100 up with only 5 favorites lists -- DMR, NXDN, P25, NFM and MOT800. Under those categories, I have various systems entered. Under EDIT PROFILE I set my FLs to MONITOR ON but after every scanner write, I have to go in and disable each system manually OR the scanner will start scanning all systems in all of my FLs. Unless I'm missing something completely, there's no way to turn off individual systems under each FL. Under EDIT PROFILE, SCAN SELECTION, it would be nice if there was a setting to deselect the systems in each FL. (I suppose it could also be in the FL editor -- a MONITOR column setting for example.)

2. In the EDIT DISPLAY feature, the background color completely fills the space assigned to the field. It would be nice if there was an option to only have the background color fill the text. I'd be happy with a 3rd color picker with just either the #2 color picker choice or Black color. (So only two choices.) Currently, if I say I use a blue background on the SYSTEM NAME field, the entire field is blue even if my SYSTEM NAME text is just a few characters. In cases where the field text s actively changing it's not much of an issue... (for example "ID Searching..." but in static fields the fixed background color is kind of weird.

3. Adding on to #2, it would be nice if there was an option to have no background color (i.e. a black field) if there's no text being actively displayed. So for example, if I'm actively ID searching in a trunk system, my DEPARTMENT field uses a blue background -- but during the search, it's just an empty blue field. It'd be nice to disable the background color unless text is present.

Thanks!

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
You set each system to a quick key, and then each department to a quick key, just like setting a favorite list quick key. Same for sites

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Upman --

A couple of design change request issues that I'd like to see addressed in an upcoming version of Sentinel:

(I'm logging these issues against the Version 10 software but I believe they existed in previous versions.)

1. I set my SDS100 up with only 5 favorites lists -- DMR, NXDN, P25, NFM and MOT800. Under those categories, I have various systems entered. Under EDIT PROFILE I set my FLs to MONITOR ON but after every scanner write, I have to go in and disable each system manually OR the scanner will start scanning all systems in all of my FLs. Unless I'm missing something completely, there's no way to turn off individual systems under each FL. Under EDIT PROFILE, SCAN SELECTION, it would be nice if there was a setting to deselect the systems in each FL. (I suppose it could also be in the FL editor -- a MONITOR column setting for example.)

Option 1 is doing as suggested in post above. You could enhance this a little by Editing the Favorites List and going to the System Quick Key Status Tab in the right pane. With this you could set the System Quick Key to be On (checked) or Off (unchecked) by default. Then when you wish to change the status, just do the appropriate System Quick Key entry sequence (as in toggle on/off). A similar means is available for Department Quick Keys, which you access when editing a System.

Option 2 is Editing the Favorites List and select the Systems tab in the right pane. You can set the Avoid to "Avoid" which turns off the system, so it isn't scanned unless you unavoid it, via the keypad. (Menu>Manage Favorites Lists).

Option 1 is a little easier, if you can remember Quick Key Numbers (Favorites List and System).

Option 2 is a little more cumbersome, with more menu steps, but is better if you don't want to remember Quick Key Numbers.

Editing the Profile is very broad and as you've seen pretty much is limited to whether the FL is downloaded and monitored. For specific "things" within a Favorites List (like System behavior), you have to use the Favorites List Editor.

So what you want to accomplish can be done in the present version of Sentinel. (It's software, and any software takes time to learn all the nuances :p).

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
So what you want to accomplish can be done in the present version of Sentinel.

Okay thanks guys. I thought I might be forgetting something. I owned the 436HP for a while but must have forgot about the quick keys. I don't use them on the SDS-100.

I still think the software could be designed a bit better as that's not very intuitive.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Okay thanks guys. I thought I might be forgetting something. I owned the 436HP for a while but must have forgot about the quick keys. I don't use them on the SDS-100.

I still think the software could be designed a bit better as that's not very intuitive.
I used to feel the same way about sentinel but I have started using more and it accomplishes more than any other software package out there will let you. There is a huge learning curve when using sentinel at least for me there was as I had gotten very use to using Butel software for the longest time. Unfortunately Butel hasn't kept up with a couple of the small changes made to the SDS over the X36HP models like site nacs and there was something else I can't quite put my finger on right now. But I have had to use sentinel now for a while with my SDS and it is good software it just takes a while to get used to the differences. Stick with sentinel the more you use it the more you will understand it. Also start using the quick key options for all of favorites, syatems, sites, dept's, and even channels numbers it will make operating your new scanner much easier.

HTH,
Bob

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.