SDS100/SDS200: What were you thinking Uniden ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Uniden has this with Bluetooth, GPS , Desk Top Charger, and an a smartphone APP for 299.99 ! We pay 649.00 for a stripped down version and a fancy screen. Something is very wrong here.

https://www.uniden.com/shop/communi...t-class-d-floating-handheld-vhf-marine-radio/

Hopefully you do realize the fact that the linked radio is VHF marine band only with no trunking ability while the SDS100 is a full VHF/UHF/700/800 scanner with trunking ability.

Different radios with different target markets.
Marshall KE4ZNR

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Built In GPS would be nice .....if possible

"Integrated GPS Receiver – WAAS, SBAS, QZSS for Accuracy"

N8IAA

Hopefully you do realize the fact that the linked radio is VHF marine band only with no trunking ability while the SDS100 is a full VHF/UHF/700/800 scanner with trunking ability.

Different radios with different target markets.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Maybe, Marshall, but it is the same form factor as the 100. Just think what Uniden could have done with that in the scanner:confused:

Larry

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Maybe, Marshall, but it is the same form factor as the 100. Just think what Uniden could have done with that in the scanner:confused:

Larry

Larry,
It would be a decent assumption that there were cost considerations in the different product lines. Comparing a VHF only Marine band radio to a full coverage trunking scanner is apples/oranges. 2 different product lines with 2 different target markets.

Marshall KE4ZNR

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

Larry

Yes ! Why reinvent the wheel when you already had 90% of what could have been. Use the same screen different processors.

vpasq

If only the desktop charger capability would have been included on the SDS100, that would satisfy me, as my only (emphasis added) complaint is the constant having to hook up the cable, charge, and hope that opening, closing the rubber door it will last as long as I hope the scanner will - a long long time. I plug and unplug at least two - three times a day, and even with the upcoming larger battery, I expect at least twice a day. I know we are supposed to be able to get an external battery charger in the future, but then it’s remove the battery door replace and close instead of the rubber side door. How nice to just pop the scanner in a desktop charger, saving wear on any doors or covers. Sure would have been nice and ai would have paid even more for that feature as it would be worth it.

SCPD

QRT
I know we are supposed to be able to get an external battery charger in the future, but then it’s remove the battery door replace and close instead of the rubber side door. How nice to just pop the scanner in a desktop charger, saving wear on any doors or covers. Sure would have been nice and ai would have paid even more for that feature as it would be worth it.

When did Uniden announce anything about an external charger? Sorry if I missed it...

vpasq

Back in June 2018 on one of the posts titled Accessories (for the SDS100) the following was written:

“That was my recollection as well. UPMan was projecting availability of an external charger around August. Which would also be the approximate time that those who were 'early adopters', with the small capacity battery, would get the larger capacity version, plus a different battery compartment door to accommodate the increased battery's physical size.”

That’s where I saw it!

However, I have not seen any official announcement from Uniden itself as yet, nor received any notification of shipment on the larger battery as yet. I do have high hopes though!!!!!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It was announced when the scanner was first akknowledged by Uniden when Upman 1st announced the scanner. Number two it was also posted by others about the marine walkie case being used when it was found on a website well before Uniden ever akknowledged the sds100

SCPD

QRT
Marine radio and sds100

Uniden has this with Bluetooth, GPS , Desk Top Charger, and an a smartphone APP for 299.99 ! We pay 649.00 for a stripped down version and a fancy screen. Something is very wrong here.

https://www.uniden.com/shop/communi...t-class-d-floating-handheld-vhf-marine-radio/

Water Activated MOB <<<<

Don't get that radio wet you might have to deal with Tony!

The GPS if built into the SDS100 would most likely cause "birdies" or interference to the frequency ranges.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I vote that Uniden should authorize jonwienke to install internal gps units in all of their as-requested scanners. I would love to get the internal gps mod, but will probably opt for the external due to warranty issues. Hey if Yaesu can do it with Gigaparts...type up your proposal, jon!

All in favor? Hear ye hear ye...

landsharkca

Whoa, that installation kills GPS cable setup which I was consider buying.............. price for internal and external setup?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I vote that Uniden should authorize jonwienke to install internal gps units in all of their as-requested scanners. I would love to get the internal gps mod, but will probably opt for the external due to warranty issues. Hey if Yaesu can do it with Gigaparts...type up your proposal, jon!

All in favor? Hear ye hear ye...

Aye!!

:)

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Motion carries

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Motion on the floor to assign a body to study the feasibility of Uniden hiring Jon officially and giving him a staff of one other soul. Then setting up a small shop and supply chain as well as tools to accomplish the aforementioned application in mass numbers. Said department of internal GPSism to be directly under Paul Optiz for study of this for future models.

Status
Not open for further replies.