SDS100/SDS200: HELP! Brand New SDS100 "Nothing to Scan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9MC

Just received a brand new SDS100 today from ScannerMaster...installed Sentinel software on Windows 7 Professional (being run on a Mac via VMWare Fusion). Getting the PC to accept the USB connection is tricky but I have been able to update the units firmware and Sentinel shows the SDS100 is connected. However, when I "Write to Scanner", I end up with a blank database on the SDS100....says "nothing to scan"....what the heck am I doing wrong?

spotsyrick

did you turn on the service types that you want to listen to? Go under menu/select service types

spotsyrick

You also have to set your scan selection menu/set scan selection. You have to do that first before you set your service types.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And set your zip/postal code. That's so the scanner knows where you are and can start scanning local "stuff".

K9MC

I set zip code right out of the box before connecting to Sentinel and played around with the radio for awhile....worked fine. Only ran into this issue after "Writing to Scanner" with the newly updated main database from Radio Reference.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When you were working with Sentinel, did you set the zip code in the Edit Profile/Location Settings tab, or at least confirm the location value was correct? (I suspect it is not because you did get some scanning).

The situation is this: You entered the correct location via the keypad and were successful at scanning. You then used Sentinel to update "stuff", but Sentinel had a "bad" location. When you wrote to the scanner, Sentinel replaced your "good" location with that "bad" location.

If you "write to scanner" without first "read from scanner" then it's possible that you reset the zip code back to the default of "nothing".

Go through the process of checking your scan selection, service types, and location again.

I always make sure I read, then update stuff, then write when using sentinel.

Another way of saying this is that "write to scanner" does not mean to apply only the things you changed. It means overwrite whatever is in the scanner with whatever is in sentinel.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Did you save the location setting in Sentinel? (Found under Edit Profile)
If you set it in the radio then write from Sentinel it may have defaulted back.
also need to enable "monitor full db" under scan selections.
and enable all service types under the service type. (at least to get started)

K9MC

If you "write to scanner" without first "read from scanner" then it's possible that you reset the zip code back to the default of "nothing".

Go through the process of checking your scan selection, service types, and location again.

I always make sure I read, then update stuff, then write when using sentinel.

Another way of saying this is that "write to scanner" does not mean to apply only the things you changed. It means overwrite whatever is in the scanner with whatever is in sentinel.

That was it!! I needed to tell it my zip code again....THANKS!!!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Here is something that may help...

“Nothing to Scan" Checklist BCDx36HP

Scanner Checklist:
1. A location has to be set in 'Set Your Location' to monitor the Database.
2. You must enable at least one Favorites List or the Full Database in 'Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor'.
3. Favorites Lists or Systems with QK's assigned to them must be enabled with QK's or in 'Set Scan Selection>Manage Quick Key Status'.
4. Make sure 'ID Search' is On for the system if no IDs are programmed.
5. Service Types for the channels you want to monitor must be set to On.
6. Any FL with 'Use Location Control' set to On must have locations programmed for the Departments and/or Sites.

If you are programming everything in Sentinel first and sending it to the scanner:

Edit Profile>Scan Selection tab: Make sure 'Monitor' and 'Download' are On for FL's you want to scan.
Check or uncheck 'Monitor Full Database'.
Edit Profile>Service Types tab: Make sure the Service Types you want to monitor are checked.
Custom 1 is needed for miscellaneous channels.
Edit Profile>Location Settings tab: Make sure you have a location programmed for scanning the Full Database or FL's with 'Use Location Control' set to On.
Edit Profile>Quick Key Status tab: Make sure FLQK's are checked for FL's you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System QK Status tab: Make sure SQK's are checked for systems you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Options tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site Quick Keys Status tab: Make sure Department/Site QK's are checked for departments/sites you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site>Location tab: Make sure Departments/Sites have locations programmed if 'Use Location Control' is set to On for the FL. 8/7/2018 Upman added “Do you have any sites programmed and enabled? If not, you have NOTHING TO SCAN.”

K9MC

Zip code saved in my profile which of course I can change anytime I'm in a different area. Bottom line is the radio is working fine! Thanks all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.