• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-7180 poor receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

There I am driving along listening to weather radio.

Scratchy receive, choppy... Stop at a light, everything comes in great! start driving, choppy, staticy receive.

After my experience with the TK7360 a while ago where the antenna connector had a cold solder joint I figured I would pull apart the TK 7180 to check things out.

The antenna connector is soldered just fine but there is a diode? that is suspect.

What is it? is this a "common" issue? what's involved in replacing it?

Right beside the stenciled R3 with the component in question partly obscuring the 3
https://forums.radioreference.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65480&stc=1&d=1534729301

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 164

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Clue is you stop and all sounds fine, you start moving and it goes south.....

Check all your grounds.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

westcoaster

While I'm at it, what's the battery on the motherboard of the TK-7180 for, and when should it be replaced?

westcoaster

Clue is you stop and all sounds fine, you start moving and it goes south.....

Check all your grounds.

Radio is grounded directly to the battery terminals (black fused power lead). I do have a braided strap (1 foot) connected to the chassis of the radio as an RF ground that goes to a ground point in the cab.

Am I looking at antenna ground?
Chassis ground?

What are your thoughts on the component pictured? looks burned to me?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Radio is grounded directly to the battery terminals (black fused power lead). I do have a braided strap (1 foot) connected to the chassis of the radio as an RF ground that goes to a ground point in the cab.

Am I looking at antenna ground?
Chassis ground?

What are your thoughts on the component pictured? looks burned to me?
That's a sleeve if I remember but like mentioned, its 0 ohm. You should read a short on it with an ohm meter

Check the ground fuse. (If it has one)
When the is blown, the radio grounds out through the antenna.

I get that alot on heavy equipment.

westcoaster

negative fuse is good, The "component" is a rubber sleeve as I can slide it back and forth on the wire using my thumbnail.
Both check out as resistance wise...

I'll try swapping in a magmount to see if the problem continues (or not)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What kind of antenna are you using?

If the antenna has an issue, it can flex back and break contact while driving, essentially disconnecting it. When you stop, it makes connection again and works. Some 1/4 wave antennas don't get along well with some NMO mounts and won't make very good contact. You can often troubleshoot these by holding the whip and moving it up and down. You might feel it making contact. You can set up a channel for a NOAA channel and see if it comes and goes as you do it.

westcoaster

Larsen WB VHF with an nmo mount. Located on the fender of the truck (not the best but I'm stuck with that because of the truck camper)

If this sounds familiar, it's because it is... This has been an ongoing issue for some time.

I think I'll put the 7180 back together for now. I need to think a bit more as to what to swap to see if the problem follows. swap radio, swap antenna....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Could be a number of issues.

I'd check the NMO mount, especially the underside. Unless you sealed it well, water can get in and corrode the copper.

Check the whip. Loosen the set screws and pull the whip out, make sure it's not corroded.

Check the base. Not sure if you have the wide band 1/2 wave or the wide band 1/4 wave. Make sure the center pin of the coil is touching the center pin of the NMO mount.

Remove the coil from the base and make sure it's clean, no corrosion.

Check continuity from the NMO base to the radio end of the coax.

AD0TY

Could be any number of things. I'd start with the suggestions from mmckenna, I've seen problems with nmo mounts a lot. If the problem persists I'd consider looking for an electrical problem in the truck. Sometimes AC getting into the radio from an alternator problem can cause weird problems. It may get significantly worse when you accelerate. One way to check that is to tune to AM on your truck radio and see if you hear a whine that changes pitch with your engine rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.