Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What scanner? If a Uniden, you need a ground loop isolator between the scanner and computer, or you will have all kinds of issues, up to and including burning out the amplifier.

Dark_Hunter

Yeah, a got ground loop isolator and the Scanner is plugged into a Raspberry Pi. Should I look that into the Pi does the direction of group loop need to be plugged into?

baj76

Uniden fanboy
in my opinion every scanner needs a ground loop isolator between the scanner and computer,

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It shouldn't if the isolator is a 1:1 transformer with no connection between the windings. Does the isolator have mono or stereo plugs?

Dark_Hunter

Still buzzing after installing the isolator. But to be honest it maybe because I accidentally have the volume up to loud.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

in my opinion every scanner needs a ground loop isolator between the scanner and computer,

Absolutely true. and should be a transformer type, not cheap capacitor types like sold on Amazon. You want the radio speaker output to see a transformer winding that is magnetically coupled to another winding. There should be no DC leakage between the two. The reasons are many, but primarily the new receivers have a DC coupled output that if shorted to ground or DC positive, will blow the output amp. And if it doesn't you will have lots of noise and distortion. The other benefit is that you will avoid a ground loop (HUM), and you won't damage your sound card.

If you buy a proper isolator made for stereo, you can run two receivers through it.

I don't know why this isn't stressed in the radio manuals. They just gloss over it.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Still, need some assistance please guys.

Can you post a link to your feed so we can hear what kind of buzzing if it's 60 cycles.

Isolations transformers will fix the buzzing if caused by a ground loop condition. A power supply filtering problem can cause humming conditions too and can not be fixed by an isolation transformer. If you have a portable scanner, run it on batteries for a test to see if the buzzing goes away.

Also if you have a multimeter, check between the primary and secondary side don't have any resistance due to a short or miswire.

{edit} Also it's possible you are overdriving the sound input on your device. turn down the scanner audio level to see if the buzzing goes away.

Last edited:

Dark_Hunter

Can you post a link to your feed so we can hear what kind of buzzing if it's 60 cycles.

Isolations transformers will fix the buzzing if caused by a ground loop condition. A power supply filtering problem can cause humming conditions too and can not be fixed by an isolation transformer. If you have a portable scanner, run it on batteries for a test to see if the buzzing goes away.

Also if you have a multimeter, check between the primary and secondary side don't have any resistance due to a short or miswire.

{edit} Also it's possible you are overdriving the sound input on your device. turn down the scanner audio level to see if the buzzing goes away.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/28617

Humming went down when on batteries, I need to get a better power supply I guess?

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ok humming and buzzing still there after running on batteries.

OK, If the AC cable is disconnected from the scanner then you can eliminate a ground loop and power supply filtering problem. The only thing left is the audio cable. Make sure it's shielded and not running parallel to any AC wires.

{edit} I meant the scanner power supply. It still could be the raspberry pi power supply causing the hum

Last edited:

Dark_Hunter

OK, If the AC cable is disconnected from the scanner then you can eliminate a ground loop and power supply filtering problem. The only thing left is the audio cable. Make sure it's shielded and not running parallel to any AC wires.

{edit} I meant the scanner power supply. It still could be the raspberry pi power supply causing the hum
Ok so the Raspberry Pi AC adapter is the official one from them, how would I isolate that?

What kinda of shielding can I get? Does it come in tape form?

Dark_Hunter

For some reason the audio is excellent when I use the USB sound card and scanner plugged into my computer, there is a bit of hum and buzzing but not much. But when it's on the Pi its another story, what could be the issue?

Dark_Hunter

Turns out it is the power supply going into the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.