General Scanning Question - Lots of Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
New SDS100 owner. Love it. Made a GPS puck for it. Love that too. I live in a small town and monitor two P25 systems and set a 15 mile range on the "Statewide" system to keep it local.

So I have ZERO issues. I have it figured out, I like what I'm doing.

However, I travel to larger cities quite a bit and I find that when I'm somewhere larger that a round trip scan takes a long time and I subsequently miss a lot of stuff. If I enable a bunch of services it pulls in more stuff, taking longer and longer, making you miss more calls.

What is a decent strategy to deal with that?

- ProScan where I can set up multiple Sessions?
- Really just pare it down to a couple of systems?
- Pick one "thing" and listen for a while, then pick another thing.

To elaborate on the last one I was recently in Tampa, there were about a million DMR channels around the airport, restaurants, hotels, buses, etc. To monitor that plus Hams, plus other junk meant a long circular trip missing police calls which I wanted to hear too.

Seriously trying to crack this nut. If the answer is "Get a second or third scanner", that's fine too. Just trying to figure out using my SDS100 where there is tons of content to monitor.

marksmith

Good discussion. Most serious scanner enthusiasts crash into this conundrum at some point.

All of your suggestions work in the right situation.

Sticking on one frequency or talk group is great if there is something of specific interest happening. Catching that event is not easy, but when you do, its probably the most fulfilling listening.

All the other potential solutions you mention are all efforts to catch that event of interest, including listening to a wide variety of systems and adding lots of scanners.

I find adding scanners to be the best stationary solution. And trying to keep narrow focus on the scanning spectrum when mobile.

I am sure others will have other solutions.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When traveling, minimize the active service types to what you really want to hear, and don't set Range any higher than 5 miles.

If you want to go with 2 scanners, have one scanning "up" (turn scroll knob clockwise) and the other one scanning "down" (turn scroll knob counterclockwise). That minimizes the probability of them scanning the same stuff simultaneously, even if they are scanning the same channels with the same settings, because they are scanning everything in the opposite order. Additionally, you can set one scanner to scan one set of service types, and the second scanner to scan a different set of service types.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Start by setting your range to 0, and pare down you scanlist/service types. If you want to prioritize public safety set those TGIDs to Priority ID scanning if the system has other service types you're also monitoring.

Using a 2nd scanner in this scenario is probably the best option if possible & practical.

When I find myself in a mobile situation similar to yours I use my BCD436HP w/GPS (range 0) along with my PSR-800. I frequently use Spectrum Sweeper on my PSR-800 with a stubby antenna while the BCD436HP is monitoring my "priority" scanlist along with the full database with a small set of public safety service types enabled (law) attached to a Larsen Tri-Band mobile antenna.

YMMV find what works best for you with trial and error.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and you may want to try each and see what works best for you.

A large Scanner Range means you'll attempt to receive "stuff" a little farther (the range value you used) away. So you can set Range to 10 and try to hear "stuff" 10 minutes before you get in "official" range. Department Ranges are based on geographic service area, and not reception area. It's likely you can receive "stuff" beyond listed Department Range. Site Range is how far a transmitter theoretically goes, so upping Scanner range won't benefit there. Good news is that you might hear about a crash on your road a little sooner with an increase in Scanner Range. Bad news if a crash occurs behind you, you hear that too because Scanner Range is a circle.

I've got a couple trips coming up and I'm going to try something new, which goes against the grain of conventional wisdom. Instead of using the full database and GPS device, I've built "down and dirty" Favorites Lists for the route. I've been pretty selective about Service Types too. I'll see how this goes.

The problem I'm trying to resolve is picking up digital noise on some nationwide channels and other channels. That meant I have to hit the avoid button every 4-5 minutes or so.

DJ11DLN

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and you may want to try each and see what works best for you.

A large Scanner Range means you'll attempt to receive "stuff" a little farther (the range value you used) away. So you can set Range to 10 and try to hear "stuff" 10 minutes before you get in "official" range. Department Ranges are based on geographic service area, and not reception area. It's likely you can receive "stuff" beyond listed Department Range. Site Range is how far a transmitter theoretically goes, so upping Scanner range won't benefit there. Good news is that you might hear about a crash on your road a little sooner with an increase in Scanner Range. Bad news if a crash occurs behind you, you hear that too because Scanner Range is a circle.

I've got a couple trips coming up and I'm going to try something new, which goes against the grain of conventional wisdom. Instead of using the full database and GPS device, I've built "down and dirty" Favorites Lists for the route. I've been pretty selective about Service Types too. I'll see how this goes.

The problem I'm trying to resolve is picking up digital noise on some nationwide channels and other channels. That meant I have to hit the avoid button every 4-5 minutes or so.
I've been attempting to do something along similar lines with my 436. Will be interested to hear exactly what you did and how well it worked. If it was all conventional stuff or small systems setting the range to 0 would work...but the big statewide systems, since all of the sites are technically "in range" everywhere due to linkage, is where I run into trouble as the scanner attempts to look at all of the sites, no matter how far away they are. I know I end up missing a lot of stuff that way.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I've been attempting to do something along similar lines with my 436. Will be interested to hear exactly what you did and how well it worked. If it was all conventional stuff or small systems setting the range to 0 would work...but the big statewide systems, since all of the sites are technically "in range" everywhere due to linkage, is where I run into trouble as the scanner attempts to look at all of the sites, no matter how far away they are. I know I end up missing a lot of stuff that way.

If a system's sites have location data and you have location enabled for the system, sites outside your preset range will not be scanned while that system is being scanned, but you are correct that any system traffic due to linkage will increase the time your scanner is scanning the system while activeTGIDs are being checked against your scanlist.

Last edited:

DataSquid

The lack of advancement in field programming/dynamic listening is my biggest disappointment about the SDS100.

When I get to a new area, and fire up the full DB, I want to be able to create a dynamic Favourites list out of it on the fly. Sort of the opposite of the Avoid key. And I'd like to be able to toggle the full DB off and on quickly. So you load up the full DB, tag a few interesting systems and TGs into a dynamic FL, toggle the full DB list off while that's interesting, and if it gets dull or you want to go hunting for more, pop the full DB on again.

Currently (with my 436) I have to make a FL from the DB and avoid avoid avoid until the cows come home. Getting back to the top couple of systems you want to priority scan is a challenge. So you make another FL just for them. This is all pretty awkward in the hand.

Similarly, when there's a multi-agency incident scene, and I want to monitor the respective tac channels of police and fire, well, that depends on where the call is. Again, a "hot" button that did the opposite of "avoid" to tag the TGs that are active as part of the incident as it evolves would be great. Initially I hold on the Dispatch, but then I need to add in the other service's dispatch, then probably a couple of tac TGs, then eventually drop dispatch as they get back to normal air. It's a pretty active process, and getting the full picture is something I enjoy doing, but would much rather do so hands-on the device. It's why I bought the 436; portability between towns etc, but portability around the house etc. so it's always at hand when something interesting worth holding on comes up.

I feel Uniden has done a lot to improve the technical performance in their current new gen of scanners, but seem to have put no thought into improving the UX for the "active listener." If I've missed something about the SDS100, please let me know, as I always love a new toy. But it looks like the exact same toy I've already got plus some improved receive performance that address problem situations I don't have. With a keypad I'm not keen on to boot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
but the big statewide systems, since all of the sites are technically "in range" everywhere due to linkage, is where I run into trouble as the scanner attempts to look at all of the sites, no matter how far away they are. I know I end up missing a lot of stuff that way.

You probably forgot to turn Location Control ON for that favorite list. Site range settings refer to receivable range, and have nothing to do with site linkage.

phask

Premium Subscriber

Actually, all the sites are NOT in range, every site has (or should) have it's own location and range setting.

Caveat - many states have a mobile site used for incidents, special occasions, etc. It's range will cover the entire state and I usually have them avoided.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The lack of advancement in field programming/dynamic listening is my biggest disappointment about the SDS100. .....snip.....

Coming from the Whistler world I was really surprised by this too. With their radios it's super easy to grab a single system/channel/whatever from the big database and add it to an existing or new favourites list. I was totally astounded that you can't do that on the fly in the Uniden world.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
The lack of advancement in field programming/dynamic listening is my biggest disappointment about the SDS100.

When I get to a new area, and fire up the full DB, I want to be able to create a dynamic Favourites list out of it on the fly. Sort of the opposite of the Avoid key. And I'd like to be able to toggle the full DB off and on quickly. So you load up the full DB, tag a few interesting systems and TGs into a dynamic FL, toggle the full DB list off while that's interesting, and if it gets dull or you want to go hunting for more, pop the full DB on again.

Currently (with my 436) I have to make a FL from the DB and avoid avoid avoid until the cows come home. Getting back to the top couple of systems you want to priority scan is a challenge. So you make another FL just for them. This is all pretty awkward in the hand.

Similarly, when there's a multi-agency incident scene, and I want to monitor the respective tac channels of police and fire, well, that depends on where the call is. Again, a "hot" button that did the opposite of "avoid" to tag the TGs that are active as part of the incident as it evolves would be great. Initially I hold on the Dispatch, but then I need to add in the other service's dispatch, then probably a couple of tac TGs, then eventually drop dispatch as they get back to normal air. It's a pretty active process, and getting the full picture is something I enjoy doing, but would much rather do so hands-on the device. It's why I bought the 436; portability between towns etc, but portability around the house etc. so it's always at hand when something interesting worth holding on comes up.

I feel Uniden has done a lot to improve the technical performance in their current new gen of scanners, but seem to have put no thought into improving the UX for the "active listener." If I've missed something about the SDS100, please let me know, as I always love a new toy. But it looks like the exact same toy I've already got plus some improved receive performance that address problem situations I don't have. With a keypad I'm not keen on to boot.

There is a way to do this using Quick Save on the 436 (see p46 in the manual). Not sure about the SDS100.

1. Select full DB and select your service types
2. HOLD on a channel/TGID you want to save and add it to the "Quick Save" Favorite List or something like "Incident" or "Scratch List".
3. When you're done adding channels/TGIDs deselect the full DB and choose the Quick Save FL or other "Incident" or "Scratch List" FL
4. Make sure location control is enabled for that "on the fly" FL.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.49.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 1.49.37 PM.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I've come to realize that each scanner company has their own way of doing things, while one may lack, the other may gain to be a favorite for a specific use. That is why I own a few of both, to have the best of both worlds. Whistler may have some advantages over Uniden, and Uniden may have some advantages over Whistler. To compensate on any shortcomings for each, buy both! This logic has served me well in most monitoring pursuits.

JD
kf4anc

DJ11DLN

You probably forgot to turn Location Control ON for that favorite list. Site range settings refer to receivable range, and have nothing to do with site linkage.
I was sure I did but I just checked and no, it wasn't, thanks for that. Now I have to think of an excuse for a road trip this weekend to see how much improvement I get that way. I was getting really aggravated watching it scroll through sites 200 miles away on GPS/0 miles.:(

KF5YU

hagensieker: hope I'm not hijacking this thread but followed your instructions for Sentinel/Wineskin on Mac and SDS100 $42 gps on your blog and both worked. Thx for posting...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Kind of academic since you've discovered the issue. . .

The way I understand the Omni-link function to work is this: A trooper from Sellersburg is chasing a violator who goes to Indianapolis. Along the way, his radio is handed-off from site to site. The sites are linked back, so the folks back at the dispatch center can still deal with the pursuit, the trooper remains in contact and the "folks back home" can monitor the situation.

Otherwise you'd be hearing all the traffic from the whole state on every site, overloading the system. Also I'm sure not every talkgroup has permission to affiliate or roam to every site in the state.

Minnesota found out years ago when the bridge collapsed, Omni-linking needs a little discipline for it to work properly. What happened was the incident in Minneapolis was being broadcast on interoperable talkgroups and folks from around the state were listening in. When that happens, it ties up a frequency on the distant site. So EMS folks were listening in to EMS, fire was listening to fire and police was listening to police. So that tied up three frequencies. Some smaller areas only have five or six voice channels, so that reduced the number of available resources and some users were getting busy signals when they tried to talk.

DataSquid

Excellent! This looks like just what I've been missing! Thanks for the clear instructions.

There is a way to do this using Quick Save on the 436 (see p46 in the manual). Not sure about the SDS100.

1. Select full DB and select your service types
2. HOLD on a channel/TGID you want to save and add it to the "Quick Save" Favorite List or something like "Incident" or "Scratch List".
3. When you're done adding channels/TGIDs deselect the full DB and choose the Quick Save FL or other "Incident" or "Scratch List" FL
4. Make sure location control is enabled for that "on the fly" FL.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Excellent! This looks like just what I've been missing! Thanks for the clear instructions.

No problem! I recently got my 436 and this is one of the first things I set up on my scanners for monitoring incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.