New SDS100 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Well I received my new SDS100 about 2 weeks ago. It came with the larger battery which I’m glad I waited for. I have to say this unit performs for me very good. I’m receiving systems that used to be almost impossible to receive before mainly Camden County NJ. I’m in Burlington County and this unit picks it up fairly well. My HP2 and Whistler 1080 could never accomplish that. Philadelphia also comes in very well. Of course there was a little bit of a learning curve with this unit vs. my HP 2., but after some hands on it was pretty easy to use. I know for some of you your still having issues but for me I would have to say Uniden has finally came pretty close to nailing it.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Would have to agree, my SDS100 receives much better than my HP1 & HP2, both I sold off to help pay for my new scanner. Like all scanners, location & system types play a big role in how well any scanner model performs.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I agree, best scanner I've ever owned, love my SDS

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

lou9155

Well I received my new SDS100 about 2 weeks ago. It came with the larger battery which I’m glad I waited for. I have to say this unit performs for me very good. I’m receiving systems that used to be almost impossible to receive before mainly Camden County NJ. I’m in Burlington County and this unit picks it up fairly well. My HP2 and Whistler 1080 could never accomplish that. Philadelphia also comes in very well. Of course there was a little bit of a learning curve with this unit vs. my HP 2., but after some hands on it was pretty easy to use. I know for some of you your still having issues but for me I would have to say Uniden has finally came pretty close to nailing it.

how far are you to the nearest tower? im 10.5 air miles to the tower on centenial ave and really cant get anything..im waiting for a base model,,good luck with your sds100

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
I’m assuming your speaking of Burlington County, I’m not really sure how close I am to the nearest tower. If it’s any help I’m in Delran and I receive all the sites quite well. Even Camden County I’m receiving, which As I stated could never receive with any other unit.

lou9155

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
That site you posted was for Camden County, as far as Burlington County the closet site to me seems to be Palmyra on Cinnaminson Ave.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
how far are you to the nearest tower? im 10.5 air miles to the tower on centenial ave and really cant get anything..im waiting for a base model,,good luck with your sds100

It likely would not make any difference. Hand-helds work just as good as base/mobile versions these days.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 arrived yesterday. I charged the battery, updated the firmware & database and, just to see if it worked, plugged in my zip code. Works like a charm. I intentionally ran the battery down and it's re-charging even as I write this. I plan to set it up to my liking when its charged. I have no complaints whatsoever.

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
I couldn’t get Camden County with my HP2 or Whistler 1080, but with SDS 100 comes in pretty good.

Tramagod

After several months of procrastination and reading comments by other owners I ordered mine yesterday. I do understand there’s a known problem with analog reception, but I don’t monitor anything analog in my area so that won’t be a problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I curious about the problem with analog can someone give me the info and is it being corrected?
thanks
Mike
W1ZFB

I was wondering the same thing because I don't seem to be having an analog problem, Admittedly, most of what I listen to is Phase II digital but on a recent trip (1000 miles, 5 states), the analog signals appeared to be coming in just fine,

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for anyone else, but, with my early adopted SDS unit analog reception was horrible at best. Even my local public safety agencies were very scratchy and i was barely able to understand anything. Even NOAA weather station was horrible. After a month and a half my original unit went completely deaf. Long story short, after a couple times at Uniden repair, they sent me a factory refurbished unit as a replacement.

The refurb unit has NO trouble with analog. Sounds as good if not better than any other Uniden scanner. I'm thinking that some early units had some issues which have been corrected since the initial production run.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for anyone else, but, with my early adopted SDS unit analog reception was horrible at best. Even my local public safety agencies were very scratchy and i was barely able to understand anything. Even NOAA weather station was horrible. After a month and a half my original unit went completely deaf. Long story short, after a couple times at Uniden repair, they sent me a factory refurbished unit as a replacement.

The refurb unit has NO trouble with analog. Sounds as good if not better than any other Uniden scanner. I'm thinking that some early units had some issues which have been corrected since the initial production run.

I wasn't one of the first in line when the SDS100 was introduced for that reason. I wanted at least the first few inevitable flaws to come to light. I guess it might have paid off. I have had zero problems including analog reception. I even got the big battery.

scannersnstuff

You would have got a big and a small battery anyway. but waiting on a new product is a good idea.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I wasn't one of the first in line when the SDS100 was introduced for that reason. I wanted at least the first few inevitable flaws to come to light. I guess it might have paid off. I have had zero problems including analog reception..

What he said. I was one of the last in line and changed my mind at the last minute in order to qualify for the large battery/extra door freebie. Paid off in my situation, too. Zero problems including analog reception. The heat issue I was concerned about turned out to be exaggerated complaints without merit. So glad I disregarded those rants. As someone else noted, this radio doesn't get as warm as my iPhone after 2 hours of MP3 iPod mode. Enough about that.

If I listened to all of the negativity on these forums regarding radio reviews, my desk would be bare.

JD
kf4anc

Tramagod

What he said. I was one of the last in line and changed my mind at the last minute in order to qualify for the large battery/extra door freebie. Paid off in my situation, too. Zero problems including analog reception. The heat issue I was concerned about turned out to be exaggerated complaints without merit. So glad I disregarded those rants. As someone else noted, this radio doesn't get as warm as my iPhone after 2 hours of MP3 iPod mode. Enough about that.

If I listened to all of the negativity on these forums regarding radio reviews, my desk would be bare.

JD

kf4anc

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scannersnstuff

Believe me, I want a sds100, but listening to constructive report's about a $700.00 plus radio, is not being nit picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.