BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Bcd436hp batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
When I use the scanner on battery power I can’t get more than 15-20 minutes of life from the rechargeable batteries before it starts beeping and saying low batteries. I’ve tried different rechargeable batteries and get the same issue. I do not charge them in the scanner. I use a wall charger.

Anyone have any suggestions. The wall charger and batteries are fairly new

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisABQ

I guess my first questions would be, is your wall charger working correctly? What battery level does your scanner say it's at when they are charged?

bgav

Premium Subscriber
What kind of batteries are you using? I highly recommend Sanyo Eneloops and their Amazon Basics rebranded equivalents. I'm getting 8+ hrs of scanning out of the standard 1900MAh cells.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Your probably seeing a failure of one cell.
When they charge the voltage seems fine but as soon as you put a load on it the cell will fail and voltage drops quick. That voltage drop is triggering your scanner to show the low voltage indicator.

Happened to me a while back. I have several different manufacturer batteries but use a lacrosse battery charger which also has analyzer features. Turns out one of the batteries had gone bad and since i have not analyzed my six batteries in a while one had gone bad. (3 in device 3 in charger that i rotate weekly).
It happens. Every other year i try to buy new sets of batteries and only keep a couple of older ones if they are at 80% capacity or higher.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
When they charge the voltage seems fine but as soon as you put a load on it the cell will fail and voltage drops quick. That voltage drop is triggering your scanner to show the low voltage indicator.

Happened to me a while back. I have several different manufacturer batteries but use a lacrosse battery charger which also has analyzer features. Turns out one of the batteries had gone bad and since i have not analyzed my six batteries in a while one had gone bad. (3 in device 3 in charger that i rotate weekly).
It happens. Every other year i try to buy new sets of batteries and only keep a couple of older ones if they are at 80% capacity or higher.

Nice catch. +1 on the battery analyzer/conditioner like the LaCrosse, I have a Maha MH-C9000 to keep my 3 dozen plus Eneloops charged and conditioned.

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know the wall charger is working fine. I’ve been using it for a while now and have had no issues up to this point.

The scanner shows 3.0 volts when on rechargeable battery power. When I put new regular batteries in it it shows 4.3 so I guess it could be the charger *.

Thanks

bgav

Premium Subscriber

I’m using the batteries that came with it and also have enegizer 1400 mah

Like IAmSixNine said, you probably have some bad cells which are causing the issue.

Last edited:

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Is your scanner dying or just the battery warning going off? Check your battery low voltage alert settings (page 32 in the manual) and set it to 3100mV:

Battery Option (BCD436HP Only)
Set Battery Save. On or Off.
Set Charge Time. 1-14 (hours). See also Using Rechargeable Batteries. Set Battery Low
Set Alert
Set Alert Tone. Change tone frequency. (640 Hz, 780 Hz, 920 Hz, 1060 Hz, 1200 Hz) Set Alert Interval. Set to a value between 1 and 60 seconds. (Default is 15 sec.)
Set Alert Volume. 1-15, Off, or Auto. (Default is Auto)
Set Voltage. 3100 - 3400mV. (Default is 3300mV)

I900D658

bcd 436hp batteries

i use two sets of Duracell 2024 with there charger and i have been using these and recharging every day for over six months and still get 8+ hours. you might want to check your battery settings in the scanner

budevans

I’m using the batteries that came with it and also have enegizer 1400 mah

Are you sure they are rated as 1400? That would be way under powered for your scanner. Your batteries should be in the 2300 mAh to 2700 mAh range.

As others have posted, you should consider getting a good Smart Charger. Two of the most commonly used are the Lacrosse and the Maha/Powerex chargers.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have some other devices that use AA batteries, you might try them in that. If they give out too fast, you've ruled out a scanner issue.

Sometimes I look for zebras when I hear hoofbeats, so there ***could*** be something in the scanner battery connections causing a slight voltage drop, like a dirty corroded connected (pencil erase fix).

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
It was the older batteries that I was using. One of them was bad. The other set of batteries I have are working fine. Thanks again everyone

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I recently replaced my original 2300 436HP scanner batteries with Duracell
2500 NIMH batteries.
Worked fine for a couple weeks but now scanner won't boot and charging off the USB get "battery error" message.. Can't find my 436 manual to see where I goofed.

Ensnared

These are no longer made by Sanyo. Panasonic makes these now. However, I would agree, this is the only rechargeable brand I would recommend.

How odd. Post 16 above shared a similar experience with Duracell. Over the Thanksgiving holidays, I bought the basic Duracell charger with AA batteries. I was initially impressed until I put the new batteries and saw the red flashing light. How do new batteries show to be bad batteries? I returned the charger and then I got serious.

I strongly recommend the following battery charger. From what I understand, this unit will discharge the battery before charging. Reportedly, you can restore older rechargeable batteries. I have been very impressed with this Lacrosse Model. Be advised, I am recommending this model only. Some of the other units they make have been problematic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RSOV5...targid=kwd-48810182191&ref=pd_sl_4bjrws4s2c_b

Status
Not open for further replies.