Columbia County Sheriff Wants Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

whop94

Premium Subscriber
https://www.wiscnews.com/portagedai...cle_a46ac505-2c7c-5728-8ad3-9233fa153e32.html

Columbia County folks might want to check with their sheriff candidate about this...

Shame, I am 100% on board with encryption of tactical channels and even could understand encryption of records channels, people have a right to privacy even in contact with Law Enforcement, however I find there to be no good reason for encryption of routine dispatch especially in this era in which were working on closing the divide between law enforcement and the general public!

Not to mention the asset that having public safety dispatch in the clear can be to first responders, just look at the PulsePoint app here in Madison. MFD and Dane County have embraced the use of public access to public safety communication to allow those who have training though may not be on duty or in their service area to receive notification of a PNB and possibly intervene if they are able to get to the scene faster than the local first responders. While this is just one example and is not a LE agency, I believe it is an example of how more collaboration between public safety and the community at large can only improve outcomes.

Just my two cents!

damando

I believe Marquette county was digital encryption way back when Miami-Dade County was using digital Frequency hopping encryption radios. Something to do with their belief of having to obtain radios that the normal scanner buff cannot obtain ...ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.