2018 Toronto Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve3gmz

Im going to the 2018 Airshow. Anyone have any updated frequency lists? The Thunderbirds are coming to town. Looking forward to the zoom and boom.

Brian

mciupa

Someone usually reports back with current details if they hear test runs, or at least on the opening day of the CIAS.

ve3zo

Thunderbirds were in Ypsilanti Mi last weekend.

Can confirm the below freqs were used all weekend. however that could change.

149.650 AM Diamond
235.250 AM Solos

ATCTech

You can scratch all of the UHF arrival/departure ATC frequencies, we decommissioned those years ago. (236.6/253.1/275.8/358.1/363.8)

Last edited:

mbstone99

Thunderbirds were in Ypsilanti Mi last weekend.

Can confirm the below freqs were used all weekend. however that could change.

149.650 AM Diamond
235.250 AM Solos

I believe I am hearing some action on the 272.1 and 246.5 for the Snowbirds. Probably getting ready for the show this weekend.

Matt

AMcKie

Was keeping an ear out during practice today.

- Show Hold (118.000) and Boss (119.200) on their usual frequencies.
- CF-18 talking to his narrator and doing simulcast on 333.300.
- Snowbirds active on 116.000 (a little), 117.000 (rarely) and 272.100 (mostly). Didn't hear 246.500 in use today.

Feel free to post additional notes!

Some questions:

When did the Snowbirds start using multiple frequencies in a show? It's been a while since I monitored one of their performances and they used to all share one channel for the whole show. Clearly no longer the case; seems like they are running 272.100 like a "show box" frequency, Blue Angels style, with 116.000 for solos when outside the box? Didn't really catch on to what 117.000 was for - main formation outside the show box? Just curious when they adopted this comms strategy.

Finally, did anyone catch the Thunderbirds? I had 20 or so of their frequencies loaded up and didn't get any hits at all. Snowbirds were coming in 5/5 from my location, which makes me think I was watching the wrong frequencies. Or else TBs run a lot less Tx power than the SBs.

ATCTech

For anybody using a physical scanner versus a software controlled SDR pay particular attention to those 140-149 MHz freqs listed for U.S. demo teams. Many a scanner is going to automatically select FM demodulation and maybe even incorrect frequency steps (and may not be selectable otherwise) whereas those teams can and do use AM in that band. Having said that, frequency coordination happens via I.C. in advance so they may not even use them on this side of the border.

Working the CIAS years ago at Boss Control when I was with Transport Canada - Aviation, the Thunderbirds had one impressive rolling portable equipment cabinet sitting beside our portable control tower.

ve3zo

never seen those used before. add those to the list.

nice catch!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mike445

never seen those used before. add those to the list.

nice catch!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Yup that’s exactly what I said. I’ve see. The Tbirds several times in the past few years and these are brand new frequencies. They should be passed along to the database.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMcKie

One more addition: 122.450

I found it while looking for the F-35/P-51 heritage flight (they were on it), but it was also used for PA simulcast. Then the following act used it for that as well. It’s possible I missed it in earlier acts. Was called “discrete” on the air. I never heard anything on the old PA frequency (123.600) so perhaps this simply replaces that.

Last note: I heard a Snowbirds comm check on 246.500 but they didn’t use it. Those used today were as noted during the practise yesterday.

ATCTech

FWIW, 136.525 has been for a number of years now, and continues to be, licensed to the GTAA @ CYYZ. It may have been assigned for the CIAS as it's kind of "protected" in that there shouldn't be any other services on it in Ontario per Industry Canada.

In the many times I've checked I have not heard it in use for anything at Pearson.

Status
Not open for further replies.