DV-1 Digital Data Display not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBlue

Hello all. Anyone still seeing anything in the Digital Data Display area when it is turned on for digital transmissions? I swear I saw it and even have a photograph of it working on the local DMR and DSTAR repeaters as well as some info on the local P25 systems but now, I just realized, apparently aftert the last update I can see nothing in the small data area assigned to that function and yes, it's on for every memory dealing with digital.

Anyone still seeing info in the Data area and if so, what firmware versions are you using? I will try to go backward tonight on the firmware versions to see if that picks it up again.

Thanks,
Sean

MStep

Great question-- I have the DV1, and yes, sometimes things do "get lost" in firmware updates. I seem to recall it working with the latest firmware version on a D-Star repeater, but for the life of me, I can't remember either whether or not that information was displayed on other digital modes in previous firmware versions.

Please report back on your observations.

Hello all. Anyone still seeing anything in the Digital Data Display area when it is turned on for digital transmissions? I swear I saw it and even have a photograph of it working on the local DMR and DSTAR repeaters as well as some info on the local P25 systems but now, I just realized, apparently aftert the last update I can see nothing in the small data area assigned to that function and yes, it's on for every memory dealing with digital.

Anyone still seeing info in the Data area and if so, what firmware versions are you using? I will try to go backward tonight on the firmware versions to see if that picks it up again.

Thanks,
Sean

DeepBlue

Downgraded to 1801A and still nothing in the Digital Data Display area. I may have to do a total reset and try reprograming a set of frequencies, or searching manually to see if I can get it back. None of the commercial DMR systems in central Ohio are showing any data in those fields nor is anything on the MARCS or COIRS systems. No signals present on the DMR or DSTAR systems right now. I did try listening to my own signal back through the local DMR system and no digital data shown their either. I do know I used to see the data there as I have photos of the screen showing the calling station and the returning station IDs. Very strange.

Is anyone at all still seeing any digital data?

Sean

woodpecker

Downgraded to 1801A and still nothing in the Digital Data Display area. I may have to do a total reset and try reprograming a set of frequencies, or searching manually to see if I can get it back. None of the commercial DMR systems in central Ohio are showing any data in those fields nor is anything on the MARCS or COIRS systems. No signals present on the DMR or DSTAR systems right now. I did try listening to my own signal back through the local DMR system and no digital data shown their either. I do know I used to see the data there as I have photos of the screen showing the calling station and the returning station IDs. Very strange.

Is anyone at all still seeing any digital data?

Sean

The DV1 only shows CC for DMR, nothing else.

DeepBlue

Not true

Not true. The DV-1 "Used to" show other info. I have a cel phone snapshot of it in action from when I just bought it.

I uploaded 2 pics to Flickr. The first is the old screen showing digital info in the fields:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128320880@N07/44293539142/in/dateposted-public/

This image shows it now with my MD-2017 showing data on it's screen which is pulled from a small database within the radio based on the digital info in the data stream so I know the system is passing ID info but as you will see it is no longer showing on the DV-1:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128320880@N07/44293538222/in/dateposted-public/

If those links don't show up I'll try to adjust them.

Sean

woodpecker

Not true. The DV-1 "Used to" show other info. I have a cel phone snapshot of it in action from when I just bought it.

I uploaded 2 pics to Flickr. The first is the old screen showing digital info in the fields:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128320880@N07/44293539142/in/dateposted-public/

This image shows it now with my MD-2017 showing data on it's screen which is pulled from a small database within the radio based on the digital info in the data stream so I know the system is passing ID info but as you will see it is no longer showing on the DV-1:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128320880@N07/44293538222/in/dateposted-public/

If those links don't show up I'll try to adjust them.

Sean

That is DSTAR info that probably didn't clear off the screen (usual crap AOR firmware), you don't use CQCQCQ on DMR that is from the DSTAR URCALL field.

DeepBlue

That may be but, I am fairly sure it's not showing up on the DSTAR channels/freqs either. Waiting for a longer transmission, or ANY transmission on DSTAR down here. I have a note in with AOR about the whole thing and, even if that was a latency issue with the receiver hanging on to old data on the screen, that's an issue AOR needs to be aware of as well.

Thanks for the possibilities. Eventually we will get a DSTAR transmission here to check it with.

Sean

G7HID

That may be but, I am fairly sure it's not showing up on the DSTAR channels/freqs either. Waiting for a longer transmission, or ANY transmission on DSTAR down here. I have a note in with AOR about the whole thing and, even if that was a latency issue with the receiver hanging on to old data on the screen, that's an issue AOR needs to be aware of as well.

Running the latest firmware here and on DSTAR it is displaying the data OK..
The screen latency issue was cured a few firmware updates ago..

Mike

c0ne

Something similar happens to the DV10 when you have 2 signals on the same frequency, This happened since the update that that introduced this "Digital info display did not stay on screen until frequency change." Now it wont refresh once it receives a signal and keeps showing what previously was on the screen. Whenever the add something the kinda mess up something.

Another example is the " Fast frequency tuning. Rate of tuning increases depending on how fast the dial selector outer knob is rotated." feature. This now also applies to your squelch settings, so when you want to go from 4 to 5, it sometimes jumps all the way up to 20. It's all AOR on its best.

DeepBlue

FYI, I am still waiting on a valid DSTAR signal on any of the local repeaters. I have a feeling DSTAR is is in a low spot in the cycle right now. If I ever hear anyone on any of the several DSTAR dedicated repeaters here, I'll report back the findings.

S.
KB8JNE

DeepBlue

So,

So, here at the shop one of the guys grabbed one of the DSTAR HTs and we fired it up in simplex mode. The display does in fact show as follows rep 1, "direct" Same for rep 2.The alternating screen shows the calling ID and CQCQCQ. So, for DSTAR, this does work. I further notice that this display hangs and repeats until something else happens on the DV-1. It could have that display for hours it seems and never go blank until something else happens, like me dialing the VFO, etc.

That mystery may be solved. Is there no other info in P-25 however? We were thinking here that at one time we either got the Radio ID or the talkgroup numbers? Maybe not as I have no photos of it doing so. I kow the shops Icom R-8600 does show talkgroups so I know it's possible. I thought the AOR used to show the talkgroups.

S

Last edited:

MStep

Just as a sidenote, as I had mentioned previously, I only recall the information appearing on the DV1 screen while in D-Star mode.

Interestingly, here in the New York City area, there is virtually zero D-Star activity. Perhaps D-Star has taken root in other parts of the country, but here in one of the world's most populous areas, it's zilch. Either due to the cost of equipment, or Icom's failure to promote this digital mode, there seems to be not much going on. Perhaps in the past six months, I have caught one D-Star repeater in operation.

Also, for those "keeping score", last night I did a sweep of the 440 amateur band. Between 440 and 450 MHz, there were 14 repeaters that I could copy. 5 were "FM", 6 were "DMR" and 3 were "Fusion". That's fairly representative of what I generally hear from my location here in downtown Manhattan.

DeepBlue

My scanning for digtal

I have all the digital mode repeaters loaded into a scan listing in the DV-1 and at night I routinely hear the Fusion repeaters with the most activity here in Columbu, Ohio. Second is DMR but honestly, despite what others might say, DMR seems to be seriously flawed (at least here) as I often hear only small parts of conversations or a conversation will come up half way through etc. It's not a fault of the radio(s) I am using as they all have had this happen and when listening to multiple radios, such as my MD-2017 AND the DV-1, both come on with signals exactly the same, mid conversation, etc. Not a fan of the DMR implementation here. (pretty sure the local repeater operator is pulling his hair out trying to get it better but iut seems a problem with the whole system?) I say that last part because even watching/monitoring transmissions on Hoseline, it shows the same thing.

one of the folks here at the shop suggested the lack of repeater activity is due to the massive use of hotspots that do not show up as repeater traffic naturally. I remember reading that people were also a little upset about the growing number of hotspots as it was creating a lot f system issues.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.