Is this really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
It's 2018, do we still need this box? It's practically on every new system in the DB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 8.05.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 8.05.50 PM.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 460

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It's 2018, do we still need this box? It's practically on every new system in the DB.

Yes it is. There are still MANY MANY older scanners and Phase I only scanners still in use, and on the market, and by not having a big glaring warning you will have a million folks asking why they can not get yadda blah yadda system etc on their scanner ...

D

DaveNF2G

Not to mention that the warning is false in the overwhelming majority of cases. Most P25 systems are Phase I and will not be changing to Phase II in the foreseeable future. Emission masks on the license do not indicate actual modes in use.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Of course it's necessary and a good idea. P25 Phase I vs Phase II is confusing to non-technical users and as stated above not all digital capable scanners can do Phase II. In fact, there's probably more non-Phase II capable scanners out there than Phase II capable. This is the same as warning people about buying older trunk-tracking scanners that can't follow system after rebanding.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately having someone buy a 15x (or any other analog trunker) for a system that is digital is often a problem with the user's understanding of the technology. They have absolutely no idea that you need to buy a particular type of radio to listen to a P2 (for example) system. They just don't know what they're buying. We've all see it time and again

Mike

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
We have lots of new users coming in all the time who don't even understand this word "trunking", and think that the police use CB radios to communicate. Yes, the warning is useful and of course it should stay. In fact it should be one of about a thousand additional warnings that would go a long way toward helping newbies to learn something about the radios they want to listen to.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention that the warning is false in the overwhelming majority of cases. Most P25 systems are Phase I and will not be changing to Phase II in the foreseeable future. Emission masks on the license do not indicate actual modes in use.

We put the PII on it when the system has TDMA data in use and or TDMA TGs in use per Unitrunker, Pro96Com, or submissions/observations, or is ONLY licensed for TDMA use. A lot of systems are upgrading to TDMA, or have it set up for TDMA use and have not begun usage. If TDMA data is indicated, this is a good sign that at least limited use could begin at any time. If said system was to suddenly start using TDMA, and there is NO warning of the possibility, then we are not being accurate or up to date. But if we put a warning of this, were incorrect too.... Err on the side of caution.

Last edited by a moderator:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have lots of new users coming in all the time who don't even understand this word "trunking", and think that the police use CB radios to communicate. Yes, the warning is useful and of course it should stay. In fact it should be one of about a thousand additional warnings that would go a long way toward helping newbies to learn something about the radios they want to listen to.

Unfortunately it would appear that the design for the database doesn't allow for the easy entry of additional messages. I made such a suggestion a couple of times for systems that were, in the past, unmonitorable, such as ProVoice, Trbo or NXDN, many of which can now be monitored but only with certain scanners. That suggestion was pretty much ignored. The design seems to lack a certain flexibility - and as more system types become monitorable, it becomes more and more evident.

As an aside, we've been doing this in the wiki for a couple of years now.

Of course this assumes that newcomers know about the database and how to navigate it in the first place. Simply put, most don't

Mike

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
You still have users post
I bought the Uniden BCT15X and I can not hear the new radio system.
Also just a heads up almost all new users to the TACN P25 system will be PHASE 2

Yes I was advised of this also. They wish to upgrade to ONLY TDMA use in the next few years.... We should take further discussion of TACN to that forum... (Hint: AWIN, TACN, MSWIN, all will be mainly to all TDMA in a very few years.)

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately it would appear that the design for the database doesn't allow for the easy entry of additional messages. I made such a suggestion a couple of times for systems that were, in the past, unmonitorable, such as ProVoice, Trbo or NXDN, many of which can now be monitored but only with certain scanners. That suggestion was pretty much ignored. The design seems to lack a certain flexibility - and as more system types become monitorable, it becomes more and more evident.

As an aside, we've been doing this in the wiki for a couple of years now.

Of course this assumes that newcomers know about the database and how to navigate it in the first place. Simply put, most don't

Mike

Not to mention that that wiki thang is our red headed step child. Most have no idea hat the heck it is much less give a darn unless we point a fat finger to it and say.. Hey dudes, take a gander, this thang will help you a lot too. Drives me bonkers, especially since we are now cutting DB down on a basic data only diet and throwing more and more into the wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.