• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Conventional scanning of a smartnet system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muxlow

Super Secret
You sure can. Im doing it
We have a mixed mode type 2 system of analog/digital

made a channel for each frequency on 2 different sites and left it at 12.5khz
set a p25c protocol type
put in the dec of each talkgroup i wanted to monitor

each site had 7 voice/control channels. So zone 2 is one site voice channels/control only
zone 3 was same thing for the other site
set it up as
monitor mode, p25 conventional, put in the site nac or use F7E, unchecked voice storage, checked the boxes with what groups i wanted

zone 1 i had a scan channel and put both sites channels in that scan list

programmed it and tune to the scan channel and she works fine n dandy. Go to zone 2 and hold on a voice channel and hear action on it once someone is using that channel of the system.

bit of a pain in the rear to set up and get going but.. does work

Downside for your system is it had more then 15 channels. And can only scan that many in 1 scan list so you wouldnt be able to "follow" the system correctly

buttaik

If possible would you mind posting your pps file with this configuration or pm me and let me give u a email address to send it to?

Many, many thanks!
Jim

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
You sure can. Im doing it
We have a mixed mode type 2 system of analog/digital

made a channel for each frequency on 2 different sites and left it at 12.5khz
set a p25c protocol type
put in the dec of each talkgroup i wanted to monitor

each site had 7 voice/control channels. So zone 2 is one site voice channels/control only
zone 3 was same thing for the other site
set it up as
monitor mode, p25 conventional, put in the site nac or use F7E, unchecked voice storage, checked the boxes with what groups i wanted

zone 1 i had a scan channel and put both sites channels in that scan list

programmed it and tune to the scan channel and she works fine n dandy. Go to zone 2 and hold on a voice channel and hear action on it once someone is using that channel of the system.

bit of a pain in the rear to set up and get going but.. does work

Downside for your system is it had more then 15 channels. And can only scan that many in 1 scan list so you wouldnt be able to "follow" the system correctly
Very interesting I've tried this very same thing earlier this year with no success. Here is the thread showing my findings https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/365295-g5-motorola-p16-conventional-scanning.html If you got it working clearly I've missed something. What system are you monitoring and what firmware are you currently using?

Muxlow

Super Secret
Using the latest FW and software off the unication site right now.

Had to use DSD (or a scanner) holding on one of the voice frequencies to get the NAC for each frequency to make sure they were all the same.

Havnt figured out how to get the talkgroup to show correctly.. but is decoding the audio and i think iv figured out how to get it to work just havnt had a min to do some testing

Group shows as... for example 17754517 (or something close to that)
The last 3 digits are 517.. Convert 517 from DEC to HEX and you get 205.
205 converts to 8272 on the RR Database and that is the talkgroup im hearing but isnt showing.

So once i have time to reprogram it with group 17754517 rather then 8272 i think it might show the group name on the screen rather then 17754517 (Or whatever the number is)

Under the Zone and Channel settings i had to make 7 channels in the zone, 1 for each voice frequency and put in the NAC for each, checked off the groups i wanted to hear and all was good. I have it in monitor mode so im thinking it is picking up all digital traffic off the site. Curious once i figure out the talkgroup format if i do selective call if it will only decode on the correct talkgroups.
This system is a mix of digital and analog, havnt herd any analog voice traffic come over. Only digital (and thats all i want to hear anyways)

This is the system im suing it on. Scanning 2 sites in a single scan list and works

Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Attachments

• freq.JPG
    freq.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 524
  • p25c.JPG
    p25c.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 514
  • tg.jpg
    tg.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 524
  • zone ch.JPG
    zone ch.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 528
  • zone tg.JPG
    zone tg.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 520

boatbod

You can? I had asked Unication and was told this was not possible with the G4/G5 pager.

The G4/G5 cannot decode the control channel of a Motorola 3600bps system, but the voice channels are either p25 phase 1 digital or straight analog, so by scanning the voice frequencies you may pick up some/all of the transmission. It's not going to follow a conversation very well if the voice frequency assigned to that tgid changes during the call though.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The G4/G5 cannot decode the control channel of a Motorola 3600bps system, but the voice channels are either p25 phase 1 digital or straight analog, so by scanning the voice frequencies you may pick up some/all of the transmission. It's not going to follow a conversation very well if the voice frequency assigned to that tgid changes during the call though.

Thanks for the the explanation. The Conn State Police are a 3600 system. I know a few people who tried to make it work, with no luck, which is why I had asked Unication , who told me it was a no go.

troymail

Silent Key
I think I tried this a year ago to attempt to monitor P25 voice on a 3600 system but could not get it to work - but I will admit I didn't try very hard...

If it does work, trying to monitor a specific talkgroup by scanning all of the system/site frequencies will be a bit of a challenge - even more so for larger systems (many vs. few site frequencies).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Unication would also have to pay licensing to MSI, and since this is a dated and unsupported technology, it wouldn't make sense. Smartnet is 30 year old legacy stuff. I am surprised the number of agencies keeping these old beasts alive. I was relieved on December 29, 2015 when we turned our 1987 vintage system off and migrated everyone to our Astro 25 7.16 replacement.

wireless

Love to Monitor Montg County MD Fire Dispatch

Gentlemen. This has me very interested. I made the mistake of doing some ***-u-ming. I bought a G4 for Montgomery County, MD. Of course I immediately found out that it was a Motorola Smartnet Sys II and was screwed. And thanks to everyone who posted such great jnfo on that subject especially TroyMail.
Now, I would hold out for the P25 Phase 2 completion if I could just get MCFRS Dispatch channel 7A and 7B. Is MUXLOWs technique doable in my case? BTW Id love to also get some incident channels 7C thru 7I but I dont want to press issue.

I can get a G5 and listen to VHF simulcast of 7a and 7b but the G4 is here and paid for. My biggest issue and why I bought the G4, was after dispatch they switch to incident channel and Im out of the loop. I have scanners but like tbe G series pager concept.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

What you guys think?

Link to RR Montgomery County database page:https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2142

Last edited:

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Thanks for the the explanation. The Conn State Police are a 3600 system. I know a few people who tried to make it work, with no luck, which is why I had asked Unication , who told me it was a no go.

I used to have my G5 doing this on the CT system, Your just lisining to the channels on P25c mode, you can miss some stuff but its works.
I listen to mostly troops G, I & A and they are all on the new P25 system now so I don't do it that way anymore but it can be done.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I listen to mostly troops G, I & A and they are all on the new P25 system now so I don't do it that way anymore but it can be done.

While G, A and I are on the new system, and technically F is ... but they still use the old system, I live in E and work within E. E is not on the new system. Not even a TG assigned yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.