Radio Distance With Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

Can I expect to hear trains from 18 miles away? I live in Kennett, MO & the BNSF Rail Line I want to hear is in Hayti, MO. I entered it yesterday (161.385) & haven't heard anything yet.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Can I expect to hear trains from 18 miles away? I live in Kennett, MO & the BNSF Rail Line I want to hear is in Hayti, MO. I entered it yesterday (161.385) & haven't heard anything yet.

Train communications are usually simplex VHF line of sight (LOS), limited in range by terrain and elevation.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
You can use this site and punch in coordinates and antenna heights to get an idea of exact distance & RF line of site, and this site to estimate line of site radio horizon for VHF/UHF as well as a good explanation.

30514599518_257ffea785_c.jpg

43474825065_678f3db582_c.jpg

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

I have 2 lines here, one is about 2.5 miles away and I can hear a lot of traffic. The other is 8.6 miles at CPA and I just barely hear them so YMMV. If you're only interested in that one line you might consider brewing up a yagi.

AC5PS

I’ve never looked into it but I was under the impression there was like a repeater system along the tracks?

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
I’ve never looked into it but I was under the impression there was like a repeater system along the tracks?
No, the radio systems for train track operations are simplex, but most railroad companies have hard wire connections to multiple transmitters placed at multiple locations on their rail tracks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber

Think of them as remote base stations as opposed to a repeater. On the dispatcher's console they can select a base they want to talk on or simply monitor. When a train "tones up" the dispatcher it shows up on the dispatcher's console which base has been "toned up" and won't go away until the dispatcher acknowledges.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Back before narrowbanding and big watt radio's were used, you could hear a whole lot more than you can now. But a lot of Railroads now are simply using lower watt "mobile" one piece radios in loco's, 1/4 wave antennas on the top of the cab, and also consider that narrowbanding has really hurt range also.

And I don't care what the guru's of the universe of narrowbanding say, narrowbanding has reduced the range of everything that was once monitorable at "wideband", even with the motorola 12/25's, the same radio, same antenna, same frequency, when they were reprogrammed to NB, range was considerably diminished.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
18 miles is quite a distance for simplex operation

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
But remember that "Train style" antenna is also mounted on a very good groundplane (top of a large steel locomotive cab), and is also at least 15 feet above the rails, which are also elevated to a degree in most cases.

And a lot of locomotives, especially leaser's and shortline/regionals, use 1/4 wave VHF antennas....

Status
Not open for further replies.