• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Another CASE for Talk-Group lockout - Unication G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
The case for Talk-Group (lockout) came up tonight as Storms with LOTS of lightning went through the Chicago-land area. ONE talk-group (a Fire talk-group locally) was STUCK ON with no noise coming through for a LONG time. After an hour they finally got it going again. Of course I had it populating several knob positions. HAD to resort to listening to another ZONE for the next County I have set up when visiting relatives where that talk-group isn't listed. Most the same Police/Fire are on that ZONE except the offender. This again shows the need for on the fly, selective Talk-group lockout. I almost...ALMOST had to break out my unnamed $500 paperweight (scanner) Unication, please reconsider talk-group hold and lock-out if possible. I would think the intended market for the pager would REALLY need that at the scene too. You can only do so much with inventive programming never knowing WHAT talk-group might be the next offender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muxlow

Super Secret
Or even scanning P25 trunk with p25 conventional/analog/dmr and maybe 20 channel scan list

Be nice if you could change the side buttons also. be a good spot for scan delete

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I would think the intended market for the pager would REALLY need that at the scene too.

No. The intended market when "on scene" would be using radios not pagers.

Now wondering why a single talkgroup would be locked up for an hour when most radios have a default of 60 seconds of time out timer... Why didn't someone kill the offending ID in all that time?

Muxlow

Super Secret
Not every system is setup to stun radios. During a storm few years ago here one of the volunteer base station radios would key up for 30 seconds, dekey for 2 and key back up and kept doing that over night until a tech could go look at it in the morning. Our dispatch center does not have the ability to stun/disable a radio. So that fire talkgroup on the trunk system was hung up due to that. Turns out lightning struck the building and toasted the radio and it was in la la land

CanesFan95

Well, this is the part where we get the same usual debate. Oh, it's not a scanner. Oh, it wasn't meant for that.

Yes, yes. We knowwwwwwwwwwww.

But it would still be nice........

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I thought one of the main reasons for G series pagers was to allow a department to monitor communications from another department/system that their radios can not receive, such as mutual aid.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
G5 talkgroup stuck on for nearly an hour

@ResQguy - yes. I hope so. But I know if I were a 1st responder? If I heard something important on my "pager" I'd want to hold on that group. The Storms did something because there was no background noise or voices heard normally with a stuck open key. BUT ... it went back to normal and all is FINE and dandy now. I DID notice after this latest firmware for the Pagers that there IS an "EDIT" section added in CHANNEL SETTING in the main menu toggle. It doesn't seem functional yet, but includes FREQ and Talkgroup headers on the list.

nyscan

With the Unication G's can you monitor one talkgroup at a time?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
YES. You can program the knob position to only have ONE talk-group. It monitors up to 64 at a time ON each knob position *at this time* - It has 8 knob positions. That's why you CAN (program) it ahead of time and and avoid problems .. make it more like a Scanner than pager. There just wasn't a way to do in the field programming. I'm betting that's on the way

nyscan

Thx. So then assuming you have all the talkgroups at knob 1 you can only monitor 7 single talkgroups?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
YOU could set it up that way, click from knob to knob, But instead you could include all 7 in ONE knob and scan them in there. You put up to 64 in EACH Knob position on the pager. That would be for ONE ZONE. You could then create another whole ZONE of completely different talk-groups and scroll to that when you go to another place.
Here's my video showing how simple it was to scroll up and down to find zones, only takes 3-4 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nfOdjZKFs

nyscan

Thx again. I'm thinking about the situation where you are scanning all your TG's and you hear emergency transmissions on one TG and at that point you just want to monitor that one TG. What's the best way to do this and how many TG's can be be set up to do this?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
You can set up ONE per knob (8) in (Monitor Mode) yes. And switch back and forth when needed. Police on #1, FIRE #2, Public Works #3 etc.

nyscan

That's what I meant by being limited to doing this with just 7 TG's assuming the first knob has all the TG's for scanning. Am I correct?

mharris

I thought one of the main reasons for G series pagers was to allow a department to monitor communications from another department/system that their radios can not receive, such as mutual aid.

Exactly, which is why you should be able to hold on a TG with activity you want to hear. The fact that it's a fire pager and not a scanner is zero reason to not have scan hold. ANY radio that scans should be able to stop scanning. The fact that unit is meant for the fire service should support the idea of scan hold because a FF will want to stop on traffic of importance to him or her.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@nyscan - Where did you get (7) at? It sounds like you're thinking OF Conventional scan instead of Digital Trunked scan. YOU can only have 16 of those Conventional (freqs) as a scan. Then set up another 16 in a different ZONE if you want. Here is a link of where we discussed setting up the PPS.

https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/354127-g5-uhf-scan.html

nyscan

No, strictly a P25 Phase 2 trunked simulcast system. No conventionals. Maybe my understanding of how the G4 works is lacking. I don't have it yet. Trying to learn before I shell out for it. I guess a short way of asking my question is: How many TG"s can I have set up to monitor only that single TG. (As in my example in post# 13) Is it limited by the number of knob positions?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
If you only set it up one per knob, it's limited ... yes. Scanning the 8 or 7 in ONE knob position is more efficient. Unication extended the ZONE limit. I wonder if they'll ever extend the Talk-Group limit per knob?
I actually prefer listening to 64 at a time with little delay. I hear more than my (unnamed) scanner with long scan-lists that has to scan all the way around through the lists. I miss so much with it compared to the G5.

TDR-94

Public safety radio's aren't operated like a scanner. The G5 is set-up to work like a public safety radio so users can easily adapt to the same operation. On a public safety radio,you switch manually to the channel/TG that you need to use for communication. Scanning is there for monitoring activity on a few other channels/TG's until you need to switch to a channel/TG for communication. The channel/TG you switch to usually becomes your primary channel and will receive traffic over other channels/TG's (other than ones set for Priority) even when scanning.Many radios also have a recall button that will indicate which TG last had activity as well. That's why there is no scan hold.You just switch to that channel/TG.

The G5 lets you turn scan ON and OFF just like a public safety radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.