Advice on computer speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RClary11

I read that amplified computer speakers were a good alternative for the Whister 1040, and I bought some today, but I am getting a rather bad humming sound. Can anyone suggest a brand of computer speakers they're using on the 1040 that doesn't have that humming issue? Thanks in advance.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Are you using a shielded cable between the scanner and amplified speakers. Also, try increasing the volume of the scanner itself, then the amplified speakers.

RClary11

Are you using a shielded cable between the scanner and amplified speakers. Also, try increasing the volume of the scanner itself, then the amplified speakers.

Nope, I am not using shielded cables, where can I get those? I'll give your advice on the volume of the speakers a try.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It also occurred to me that you're connecting the computer speakers to the amplified headphone jack. Since your computer speakers are also amplified, this would have the effect of over-driving the audio signal resulting in some distortion. Computer speakers are best connected to a line-level output with no pre-amplification. You may be best using an unamplified extension speaker such as the Uniden BC-7 or BC-20, or equivalent model.

BrianG61UK

It also occurred to me that you're connecting the computer speakers to the amplified headphone jack. Since your computer speakers are also amplified, this would have the effect of over-driving the audio signal resulting in some distortion. Computer speakers are best connected to a line-level output with no pre-amplification. You may be best using an unamplified extension speaker such as the Uniden BC-7 or BC-20, or equivalent model.

That's rarely a problem.

A line output on a computer is often a similar voltage to an earphone jack anyway, it just can't drive into a low impedance like earphones or a non amplified speaker.

budevans

I read that amplified computer speakers were a good alternative for the Whister 1040, and I bought some today, but I am getting a rather bad humming sound. Can anyone suggest a brand of computer speakers they're using on the 1040 that doesn't have that humming issue? Thanks in advance.

What brand and model number are your speakers?

Just curious, I use Inland Pro Sound 2000 speakers with my GRE PSR-500, (basically the same scanner as your 1040). I don't have any issues with them. I also use them with my TRX-1 and BCD436HP.

They are inexpensive, $6.99 at Micro Center.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The DC adapter would be one of the first things to check if this is a cheap speaker set.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I am using the DC adapter.

Then it's quite possible that the hum results from a ground loop you've inadvertently created. To verify this, unplug the DC adapter and operate the scanner on batteries and see if the hum is eliminated.

RClary11

Then it's quite possible that the hum results from a ground loop you've inadvertently created. To verify this, unplug the DC adapter and operate the scanner on batteries and see if the hum is eliminated.

I'll give that a try. I guess the solution to that is a isolator.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
A ground loop isolator is one solution. However, you'd need to find an isolator with the appropriate connections to match your audio cable and the scanner headphone jack (typically 1/8"). Other solutions would be to operate the scanner on batteries, or use an unpowered speaker. When I was using my RS PRO-651 on my desk, I used a Uniden BC20 speaker with good results.

RClary11

A ground loop isolator is one solution. However, you'd need to find an isolator with the appropriate connections to match your audio cable and the scanner headphone jack (typically 1/8"). Other solutions would be to operate the scanner on batteries, or use an unpowered speaker. When I was using my RS PRO-651 on my desk, I used a Uniden BC20 speaker with good results.

I can't use an unpowered speaker, since the only plug in, is in the earphone jack, so I'd need an amplified speaker. I did try using a Uniden BC7, but there was no sound. As for a useable isolator, I think that this might do the trick https://www.amazon.ca/Golvery-Groun...35995367&sr=8-9&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

BrianG61UK

I can't use an unpowered speaker, since the only plug in, is in the earphone jack, so I'd need an amplified speaker. I did try using a Uniden BC7, but there was no sound. As for a useable isolator, I think that this might do the trick https://www.amazon.ca/Golvery-Groun...35995367&sr=8-9&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

Something was wrong if there was no sound.
There should have at least been quiet sound.
Have you tried an earphone to check the output is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.