Encryption parameters set incorrectly? Dsdplus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD723

So I am listening to my local PD and one of the event officers talked on dcdm by accident and dsdplus in the event log window said "Encryption parameters incorrectly set or unauthorized encryption in use" along with the transmission. So does "Encryption parameters" mean that you can possibly input encryption keys? I highly doubt it but it was a weird discovery and the whole system is not encrypted and I heard the dcdm clearly. It gives me this encryption parameters message when dcdm is in use.

Last edited:

LD723

Wow. What type of radio system are they using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the festival the officers were using mostly kenwoods along with hytera and motorola xpr 6550 they have a small command post on the festival grounds using slot 2 for the event

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I forget which program it was but one did allow for one to enter their key into it to monitor. It has to be exact. You'd be better off playing lottery. There is a video on it some where a guy was experimenting with his p25 gear and aes keys he loaded into his personal gear.

LD723

I forget which program it was but one did allow for one to enter their key into it to monitor. It has to be exact. You'd be better off playing lottery. There is a video on it some where a guy was experimenting with his p25 gear and aes keys he loaded into his personal gear.

The thing is is that the comms were completely in the clear and it only showed up when the officers were talking in dcdm mode DMR since my local police dept is now DMR. So nothing was actually encrypted im just suprised of the message I got on dsdplus

slicerwizard

Huh. I just tried running a couple of DCDM recordings I made last year through the latest DSD+ FL; one is clear slot 1 traffic and no message appears, but when I tried the other, which is clear slot 2 traffic, there it was. Strange message to be displaying when there is no encryption anywhere to be seen?

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
What is "DCDM"?

DCDM is Dual Capacity Direct Mode (or something close to that). It's just talkaround mode but using both time slots. Basically early DMR didn't allow for using time slots when in talkaround or direct mode since there was no repeater involved to manage the time slots. Later they came up with a way to do it and called it "DCDM". It has nothing to do with encryption. Although sometimes DSDPlus will report encryption if the signal isn't strong or has errors. I have seen that happen on systems when the decode isn't great and it will get confused and think it's encryption. Most likely if you're hearing the traffic then DSDPlus is just reporting false encryption due to some decode error.

Status
Not open for further replies.