New TRX-1 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Just bought a Scratch and Dent TRX-1 and proud to say there wasn't one scratch or one dent on it. Probably a return or open box.

Nice scanner however I have one problem. The town I live in has two P25 Phase 1 systems that I am interested in following. New Bern Public Safety and North Carolina VIPER.

New Bern Public Safety System is P25 Phase 1, LSM and the TRX-1 can barely decode it at all. The VIPER system is C4FM and is essentially flawless.

I hopped in the car yesterday and drove closer to the tower and that clearly isn't it. In fact my home is WELL within range of the tower and I decode this system fine on three RTL-SDR systems in my house and another scanner (SDS100), so I know for a fact it isn't the system or the range.

Since I have so many other ways to listen to this NBPS system I programmed the TRX-1 to do all the local Analog, DMR, NXDN stuff to free up the other scanner to just do the P25 systems.

So to be clear.......I AM NOT KNOCKING THE TRX-1 but it does seem to have a limitation on the P25 LSM stuff.

I have tried messing with an external antenna, (and drove to the tower as stated above) and messed with dwell timing and squelch. Nada. Nothing.

It will receive the occasional call but it has a bit of chop to it but by and large it misses almost all of the calls.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Figures on a Monday, Holiday morning I haven't been getting many calls. Changed the advanced DSP from 64 to 95 and seem to be pulling in the New Bern Public Safety better, however it is still missing calls and is choppy on some calls on that LSM system. The quality is improved somewhat.

Much tweaking to follow it looks like.

The-Zebra

I have a TRX-1. My problem is I don't have the" County Area" download in my program area> I may have erased it by mistake. So my question is= Can I get the Easy-SCAN software program downloaded to me and do a re-store, in so doing this will it overwrite the existing program, or is a clean install necessary?. I'm totally lost for now on how to do a clean install.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1. My problem is I don't have the" County Area" download in my program area> I may have erased it by mistake. So my question is= Can I get the Easy-SCAN software program downloaded to me and do a re-store, in so doing this will it overwrite the existing program, or is a clean install necessary?. I'm totally lost for now on how to do a clean install.

If you made an Archive of your data ( and YOU really should if you didn't) you can use ezscan to RESTORE the data you have in ezscan. If you have no data in ezscan then you will have to program using the library import and select the "Prefered" method and add what you want. then send it to the scanner/sd card, I recommend using a card reader for this as it is 10 times faster then the usb cable.

The-Zebra

The-Zebra here. In reference to my above question: It is totally my goof on looking for "My County Area" I did call you folks and you folks guided me on my TRX-1 to find " My County" area. Sorry for my confusion about this matter. You guys answered my question on phone in 30 seconds....I feel like the dummy of the day .lol.. Thanks for your help. No need to reply to my question. Thanks again I'm a happy camper again.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The TRX-1 is a good companion to the SDS100. I have both, and I use them to balance out what each of them can and can't do so that I can fill in the gaps, so to speak. Whether at my desk or in my RV, I run both on a directional yagi via a Stridsberg multi-coupler and the performance reflects my location. At the house, I know where my main tower is located (at the Nutter Center) so I have my yagi pointed directly at it. The TRX-1 does well (not perfect) in that scenario. The SDS100 is the champ. When at a campsite/RV Park I locate the tower I need via RR or internet info and point the yagi towards it hoping the logistics are correct. 9 times out of 10 I am very satisfied with my setup

JD
kf4anc

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 is a good companion to the SDS100. I have both, and I use them to balance out what each of them can and can't do so that I can fill in the gaps, so to speak. Whether at my desk or in my RV, I run both on a directional yagi via a Stridsberg multi-coupler and the performance reflects my location. At the house, I know where my main tower is located (at the Nutter Center) so I have my yagi pointed directly at it. The TRX-1 does well (not perfect) in that scenario. The SDS100 is the champ. When at a campsite/RV Park I locate the tower I need via RR or internet info and point the yagi towards it hoping the logistics are correct. 9 times out of 10 I am very satisfied with my setup

JD
kf4anc

I'd have to agree with all you said. My SDS100 gets more calls and does the LSM system flawlessly.

That being said the TRX-1 is indeed the perfect "Fill In The Gaps" scanner.

Also I just took my TRX-1 on a work trip to Beaufort SC and I found that it performed flawlessly. I ran OP25 next to it tracking the Palmetto 800 Statewide system and it was dead on.

I think the thing about all these hardware scanners is that geography and signal type that you seek to decode are vital to their performance. If I lived in Beaufort SC and didn't travel I'd say the TRX-1 would suit MY needs PERFECTLY.

Going to take the TRX-1 to work today and see how it does there.

scannermike11

Banned
why is it i live out west and travel around the west coast
SF area LA area i have no problems with Simulcast systems
any radio works fine why is here it just on the east coast

kenbar

TRX-1 and SDS100

I agree. I had a moment of anger 3 years ago and sold all my Uniden scanners .. never to buy another Uniden product again....

Never say Never....

I am hugely pleased with the SDS100. This was the scanner I have always envisioned.
I do not think there is another scanner ( in this price range ) on the market that is this good.
I do have to keep a laptop handy wheras I don't with the TRX-1. ( Virtual Scanner Feature)

I was going to sell the TRX-1 but I cannot seem to part with it either.
This has never happened before...I am using both together.

When I am dinking around with the SDS100 , I keep the TRX-1 scanning.
I have found... that the SDS100 does a better job of decoding as I live in a really remote sketchy area.
No disrespect to the Whistler product. It has its own areas of unchallenged strengths.

I also missed using Sentinel... like I missed using Edlin. :)
I actually missed it when it was removed ( Edlin ). It did the job and was always there.

The SDS100 and the TRX-1 are great to own if you can part with $1000.. IMHO
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.