Portable Viper Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
North Carolina EM is using their portable viper tower at the equistrian games in Tryon next week. I have downloaded the database from RR onto my BCD436HP. In the program I see the tower sites in the database listed. Is the portable tower site listed in that database also? If not, Iam guessing that I won't hear the traffic on that tower. How do I make sure to get that information to my scanner? I am looking forward to all the activity going on in the next weeks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The last information I have on the portable VIPER Tower was Pre-P25 when it still had the SYSID of 2C10. Those in charger of VIPER sent out a letter a couple of years ago during P25 conversion saying to no longer use the 2C10 SYSID or other info as the Portable Tower info would change. I have not gotten any updated Info since then. Hopefully someone in the know can chime in and give an update.
Marshall KE4ZNR

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Marshall. I will be on site on September 18th, I will see what I can find out also.

yardbird

My last listing I had.

The Viper Tower Trailers were operating on 800 Mhz.

Also I mentioned this in my posting for the World Equestrian Games.

Also look under the TRS Systems for NC and click on the depreciated systems.

I think you will find the frequencies there.

David

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Is it reasonable to expect that a portable trailer system would be shown as a neighbor site to the permanent sites in the area? If so, I'm within range of the Tryon Peak site and could find information about the portable sites that way.

Flyham

Is it reasonable to expect that a portable trailer system would be shown as a neighbor site to the permanent sites in the area? If so, I'm within range of the Tryon Peak site and could find information about the portable sites that way.

These sites may not be "part of the network" per-see, unless the technology is now in place to allow for no latency. In otherwords, i'm not sure if provisions are now in place for either cell or temporary microwave connection back into the VIPER NOC.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
My last listing I had.

The Viper Tower Trailers were operating on 800 Mhz.

Also I mentioned this in my posting for the World Equestrian Games.

Also look under the TRS Systems for NC and click on the depreciated systems.

I think you will find the frequencies there.

David

David,
I am sure you were referring to THIS system however as I said in my first post the VIPER folks said during P25 conversion couple years ago that this system info was no longer valid and that the portable VIPER tower info would change. You are right to say plug in the freqs and see what System ID pops up. :) The state never provided updated info to us that might need that portable VIPER tower in the future.

Marshall KE4ZNR

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Monitoring the Tryon Peak site with Pro96Com, I see a neighbor site listed as 2-099, SysID 1FC, showing a control channel frequency of 774.59375. It's network status is showed as failed. And I'm not able to receive a signal on that frequency from my location, but that's no surprise. For those interested, that could be the local VIPER trailer site.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
heard today that EM is relocating as much equipment as they can to move to the coast, the trailer specifically was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.