FBI Atlanta Division HQ contract security uses FRS/GMRS radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooligan

Watch: https://youtu.be/J8XiUxwD_Nc

For the record: I just happened to notice the video on Youtube. I don't know the people involved, and I tend not to think too highly of these self-appointed 'auditor' types though I agree that their targets have a duty to understand public rights.

Did you see the cute little radio the security guards had, and used? "Wow, what sort of tiny handhelds are they using?" I wondered to myself as I initially watched the video on an iPad... I pondered if they were using an FBI radio channel (as-is the case for FBI contract security in other Divisions) for their comms? The security dude was being very cooperative in showing-off the radio to the suspicious person he was investigating, even holding the radio so that the display would be viewable on a larger monitor.

So I was anxious to re-watch that Youtube video on my computer with a 19" monitor, and while I couldn't get a good-enough freeze-frame of the radio's LCD display, it was easy to see that it was a Midland radio.

Could it be.. no-way.... Not for an esteemed agency like the FBI, which operates under a high OPSEC posture! Surely they'd had a secure comm requirement in their RFP before picking an exterior guard service for their new Atlanta Division HQ, right?

Alas... https://midlandusa.com/product/x-talker-t51vp/

The armed guards are contracted commercial security, not FBI Police or Security Officers, but this tends to show what (bad language censored, but basically I meant idiotic) FBI can be at times, and what sort of respectable business would issue their armed, security guard personnel cheap radios, let-alone FRS/GMRS ones?

Whether they're using the 'expanded FRS' (read: FCC gave-up trying to enforce rules & regulations of the FRS+GMRS simplex radios) or illegally using a GMRS repeater for commercial business ops (a felony committed on a daily basis on FBI property?!), this is just stupid -- and the hundreds of highly-trained, highly-observant FBI Agents & Support people (including comms techs) that pass daily within eyesight of these contract security people hired to be their first layer of physical defense apparently are clueless, or don't think it matters.

Best thing we can hope for is FBI Atlanta Division has a "Take Your Child to Work Day" and one of the kids utters "Hey, mommy, do you know I have those same walkie-talkies used by your security guards!"

Either that, or one of these 'Civil Rights Auditors' that likes standing around & videotaping their office starts talking to them over the proper FRS/GMRS channel & 'privacy' code. The helpful guard holds his radio out like he's offering the channel # to anyone that wants it -- perhaps he's lonely & needs other people to talk to.

Attachments

• Dummy1.JPG
    Dummy1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Dummy2.jpg
    Dummy2.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 1,377

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
In light of everything else that has surfaced in the past few months regarding the FBI, it wouldn't surprise me if the agents themselves were using FRS. None of this surprises me anymore.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
"Canary to Squirrel we may have an intruder, and no it's not the food delivery guy this time"

lou9155

well im a supporter of law enforcement and the FBI...the camera guy could have said those same words and not be confrontational about it

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The FBI building in downtown Seattle uses NC1 on P25 (in the clear) as their primary channel for perimeter security.

engineercarl

Does the Gov't own the building?

A question that should be asked is whether the Gov't owns the building, or is just a tenant. If it is the former then the Federal Protective Service handles the guard contracts, and whatever the contractee uses for commo is what they use for commo. FPS doesn't seem to care.

Did the guards look like they were armed? Some FPS guard contracts require armed guards (like the ones in my building on Capitol Hill). But they use 2-channel UHF Kenwood handhelds, God knows where.

Carl

RFI-EMI-GUY

That is pretty poor operational security for the FBI or any security guard company for that matter. A bad guy could "spoof" the guards by directing them to the rear of the building for some "huge emergency" and then gain entrance to he front. Or they could simply jam the channel and prevent the guards on duty from calling for backup.

Hans13

Government involved security theater... Who wudda thunk? *roll eyes*

A lot of "security" involved with government is security theater. This should shock no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.