FCC clean up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrman

It looks like the FCC is weeding out some of the bad apples on 7200, it has sure taking them a long time, some of these Lids have been at it for 50 years or more and look as to be mostly Extra Class operators, and just as bad on 75 meters at night.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It looks like the FCC is weeding out some of the bad apples on 7200...
What's your basis for that statement? Have any FCC notices gone out regarding activity on that frequency? Do you have links to these notices on the FCC web site?

sdrman

What's your basis for that statement? Have any FCC notices gone out regarding activity on that frequency? Do you have links to these notices on the FCC web site?

It was on 7200 where I heard the info,I checked the FCC ULS on the offender after hearing all the chatter, and the offenders license was Terminated. The offender tried to fool the FCC by changing his address, phone number,etc in order to obtain another license, the offender was heard over the air for over a year calling Laura Smith stupid, and should not be working for the FCC, it continued until 9/5/18 after the FCC caught on to what he tried to do.

cmdrwill

Some of us know this but we should NOT be putting it on a public board. Let the feds do their work.

Murphy625

I'm going to assume "bad apple" means someone breaking the rules, but what are these people actually doing?

AK9R

Super Moderator
It was on 7200 where I heard the info,I checked the FCC ULS on the offender after hearing all the chatter, and the offenders license was Terminated.
Callsigns?

sdrman

Callsigns?

KX4NB is the one who the FCC got and the others are AC1DD, K9RSY, N2FUV and many more, these hams go around the bands jamming QSO's, jamming NET's, and when confronted by the FCC they claim that someone is bootlegging their call signs, That is not true, those that have heard them on the air know their voice. The whole bunch of these (Bad Apples) can be heard on you tube as well, they are heard on SDR all over the world, I know some would think it is fine to act that way on amateur radio, where we as hams are to promote good will, well for the last few years that has seemed to have been thrown out the window.

ipfd320

Banned
I Think he is Talking about--(w6wbj) along with the Usual Ones---There is Nothing Posted in the NAL or NOV in the FCC Enforcement Areas or Blogs at this Time

k6cpo

This is a topic that's been beaten to death across multiple forums. Is there any real purpose to be served by bringing it up yet again?

AK9R

Super Moderator
KX4NB is the one who the FCC got and the others are AC1DD, K9RSY, N2FUV and many more...
If you had posted the callsigns in your first post, we might have avoided the back and forth.

KX4NB -- license terminated by the FCC 09/04/2018
AC1DD -- license active
K9RSY -- license active
N2FUV -- license active

and when confronted by the FCC they claim that someone is bootlegging their call signs, That is not true, those that have heard them on the air know their voice.
That's something for the FCC investigators to decide.

The whole bunch of these (Bad Apples) can be heard on you tube as well, they are heard on SDR all over the world,
Nobody is forcing you to listen to them over the air, on YouTube, or via remote radios. You also don't have to give them an audience by posting about them in a public forum.

I know some would think it is fine to act that way on amateur radio, where we as hams are to promote good will, well for the last few years that has seemed to have been thrown out the window.
If there are rule infractions to be addressed, that's up to the FCC. As posted earlier in this thread "Let the feds do their work." Just be aware that the FCC, like most other Federal agencies, is operating with limited budgets and they don't have the resources to go after every violation of the rules.

Your duty as a licensed amateur radio operator, which we can only assume because you haven't told us your callsign, is to make sure your station operation follows the rules. What other people do on the air is their problem.

Hans13

Your duty as a licensed amateur radio operator, which we can only assume because you haven't told us your callsign, is to make sure your station operation follows the rules. What other people do on the air is their problem.

Amen.

sdrman

I can see most of you could care less, and if it all turned into CB radio, everyone would be happy.
Good buy and all of you have a good day. And I was not just talking about W6WBJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

AK9R

Super Moderator
I can see most of you could care less, and if it all turned into CB radio, everyone would be happy.
You are free to think what you want. Most of us here DO NOT want the amateur radio bands turned into CB. But, we also know that when it comes down to actually issuing fines or revoking licenses, it's the FCC's job to deal with it.

It is said that amateur radio is "self-policing". That's true to an extent. But, when you tell someone that they are violating the rules and they choose to do so anyway, then it becomes an FCC matter.

needairtime

I heard that ham radio is "self policing" but this concept still seems quite vague.

Sure people do try to help each other know what the rules are if they make a mistake -- as long as it's not due to not having a license at all (tends to be ignored) or revoked/invalid license (there probably would have been a "grace period" but I suspect ignoring is still the better course of action). Forgetting to identify frequently enough -- only if the speaker is somewhat well-known.

Then there's also the transmission of prohibited content. And the gray area content (One time I heard someone speak out about possibly offensive content, and then someone saying the possibly offensive content is allowed content and nobody has the right to say what another can say - which is sort of self defeating in respects).

I thought initially that "self policing" meant that hams also help with enforcement...as in RDF'ing illicit use. This, however, I don't see often -- and also even if hams RDF'ed, it's not like we can go arrest or vigilante the offender ("pin in coax") or anything. HF is also a bit harder to do due to distances, but it was tempting to RDF an offender using an open ham repeater. Anyway at best we can record a complaint for the FCC with the exact transmitter location along with the offending content.

Or should offenders simply be ignored and wait for the FCC to observe the infraction and then find them?

AK9R

Super Moderator
I thought initially that "self policing" meant that hams also help with enforcement...as in RDF'ing illicit use.
Because of the possibility of any FCC action going to court, any evidence used in an enforcement case has to meet the court's standards. The FCC has to generate their own evidence so that they can vouch for the chain of custody of that evidence.

Anyway at best we can record a complaint for the FCC with the exact transmitter location along with the offending content.
That is a true statement, as far as I know.

Or should offenders simply be ignored and wait for the FCC to observe the infraction and then find them?
No, they should not be ignored. But trying their case in social media is not the proper venue.

This is as old as sociopaths have roam the ham bands.... but entertains all the same, No ?
Th FCC is aware of this multi generational issue - -my grandfather riled against them in the 40's and 50's, my father picked up the torch from him..... me, I just realized this was fighting windmills and don't give a hoot.
I just avoid the cess pit frequencies and find 99.99% of the rest of ham radio pure open range filled with good people. I'll let the Powers That Be handle this problem- I guess they are trying... but I'm not holding my breath that anything will change, nor getting my panties into a wad that it isn't happening fast enuff for some.
Yesterday while walking thru an airport I was passed by a young man, obviously on a different wavelength than this femme in her business attire--
Big smile as he passed by me-- "Peace Out there, Sister !"
It made me smile too- all the rest of the day.
Lauri :)

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
KX4NB is the one who the FCC got and the others are AC1DD, K9RSY, N2FUV and many more, these hams go around the bands jamming QSO's, jamming NET's, and when confronted by the FCC they claim that someone is bootlegging their call signs, That is not true, those that have heard them on the air know their voice. The whole bunch of these (Bad Apples) can be heard on you tube as well, they are heard on SDR all over the world, I know some would think it is fine to act that way on amateur radio, where we as hams are to promote good will, well for the last few years that has seemed to have been thrown out the window.

I've known K9RSY since he was licensed and he has never done any of those things. You are right on the rest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.