TRX-1 and NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I know it is off topic but someone mentioned that the Whistlers do not do good with NXDN trunked system. I just recently picked up a TRX-1 scratch and dent radio ( it is like mint ), and I have three trunked systems within my receive range and the radio follows them perfectly.

ramblin82

I know it is off topic but someone mentioned that the Whistlers do not do good with NXDN trunked system. I just recently picked up a TRX-1 scratch and dent radio ( it is like mint ), and I have three trunked systems within my receive range and the radio follows them perfectly.

I'm not trying to argue or derail this topic any further but the Whistler TRX series does not monitor the control channel therefore it doesn't trunk properly. My SDR dongles & my discriminator tapped scanner with DSDPlus blows my TRX-2 out of the water with NXDN. The TRX misses most calls.

From the RR Wiki: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/NXDN#Can_it_be_Decoded.3F

(The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can be programmed to monitor both conventional and trunked NXDN systems. However, because these scanners do not monitor the NXDN control channel, trunking may not function optimally on all systems.)

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
My SDR dongles & my discriminator tapped scanner with DSDPlus blows my TRX-2 out of the water with NXDN. The TRX misses most calls.

You're comparing a handheld scanner TRX-1 to a computer based setup that is software controlled with a discriminator tap.

I have the TRX-1 and it does a great job receiving NXDN. It may not follow a trunk system but decodes fast enough to keep up. And I can take it anywhere - no dongle or software needed.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have a TRX-1, and for what I monitor on NXDN, it does a great job as well. Loud and clear. And if a NXDN TG is encrypted, it gives me the option of letting me know, instead of just passing it by, either with a tone, hearing the garble, or silence. I want to be able to know if something is encrypted, so I can mark it off the list, instead of continuing a search that another scanner will hide from me.

I also have an SDS100, and it is about neck and neck on NXDN, really. I haven't noticed a difference. However, I don't have any big trunked systems that I try to monitor either. Most are the equivalent of the "IP site connect" from Mototrbo, or are repeater and single tower, but the fact that encrypted signals can be heard either as a "dial tone" or "Digital noise" to let me know that the channel I am trying to monitor is basically impossible to listen to with the scanner, and I can stop trying, that is very valuable.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My TRX-1 follows NXDN trunk systems and conversations just fine. I've always heard this and that about Whistler products not actually trunk tracking systems, but I've never noticed that I have been missing anything. Other than LSM, my TRX-1 performs flawlessly. I was sitting in a pizzeria in San Diego with my son and his best friend (who is a security guard and had his NXDN radio and provided me programming info) and my TRX-1 lit up every single time his radio did. Completely satisfied with TRX-1 and NXDN coverage.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.