Alkaline pack for Yaesu FT60??

Status
Not open for further replies.

0kenzaham

Hello, All,

I recently purchased an FT60 to take hunting, later this Fall. I would be using this, more for emergency communications and have also purchased a Diamond (Original) SRH77CA, whip antenna , as well as a Diamond MR77SMA 144/440 Mobile Mag antenna.

I'm won't be doing a lot of talking, or scanning, other than to find the repeaters in the area.

Simply for backup!!..... Would a AA alkaline battery pack, non-rechargeable, be appropriate to carry along, with a large supply of batteries??

p.s..... I've also, already purchased a SUNDELY 1800mAh Replacement Ni-MH Battery Packs For Yaesu/Vertex Radios; would that be better to carry, for backup, than the AA Alakaline battery pack?

I'm a newbie, so please go slowly!

Thanks!, Ken

Last edited:

Sonar

For a long duration emergency where you have no chance to recharge batteries the AA battery case will come in handy. Use it at low or medium power. At high power the batteries will drain fast. Instead of alkaline AA's I use sets of Eneloop AA's (NiMH) to go with the battery case.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I think that if you are going to use it a lot, having the aa battery tray nearby is always handy.

With the aa battery tray you don't have to wait at all to charge the radio and batteries are easy to find at any store.

Also if a radio goes out of production the battery trays can get real hard to find for it.

I usually take the battery tray with me and a couple battery packs but not the aa batteries. I just pick them up somwhere if I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! Which "battery tray" would you recommend? And by "battery tray", do you mean, that which holds the AAs??

The aa battery tray or aa battery pack whatever you call it that is for that radio or fits onto that radio.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
FYI,,, If you decide to use rechargeable cells in the AA battery pack, DO NOT attempt to charge the cells when attached to the radio. Charge the individual cells in a separate charger intended for their particular chemistry.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
My thought is that if you're going to use rechargeable batteries in an aa case you may as well just buy an additional nicad battery for the radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
AA battery case

My thought is that if you're going to use rechargeable batteries in an aa case you may as well just buy an additional nicad battery for the radio.

A separate case is still a better choice because it can be used for both rechargeable and alkaline AA cells. During a power outage, you may not have the ability to recharge and a box of alkalines might be your only source during an extended situation. An external charge is not always the most convenient way, but it is the safest for the radio if a cell should short. I had that experience and it melted the radio case before I caught it.

0kenzaham

So,, is it safe to use the Eneloops, that I would charge in the charger and not in/through the radio, using the Vertex Standard Alkaline Battery Case (FBA-25) ???

15plus1

I have the FBA 25. But it looks like the 25A will work also, just marketed for a wider range of models, is my guess. Specs indicate both will work for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.