Police Encryption: Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You will get many different answers. And just for the record I don't see this thread ending well. Just by going by the history of similar threads.

mkaskavitch

You will get many different answers. And just for the record I don't see this thread ending well. Just by going by the history of similar threads.

Healthy debate is never a bad thing. I'm not talking about wanting to break the encryption, but whether the increasing trend towards it is good or bad.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The discussion about this is ongoing and can be found here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/o...ive-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

As for good or bad, there are 3 main camps on this:

Hobbyist: I should have access to everything for my own personal entertainment/enjoyment.

Self Appointed government watchdog: The government is out to get me and I need to be able to monitor all their communications.

Those in the industry: Encryption is here, get used to it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Good or bad for whom? I'm certain you won't find too many folks here who are in favor of encryption. Then again, it's not like we have any say in the matter anyway. We didn't when public service agencies migrated to 800 MHz and orphaned those whose scanners only covered to 512 MHz. We didn't when they migrated to P25 digital and required we upgrade our scanners yet again and start paying nose-bleed prices. If agencies are moving to encryption, and I'm not reading about any major country-wide push in that direction, then it's going to happen whether we want it or not.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
There is an announcement at the start of this forum about 'negative comments' regarding encryption. I'm surprised this hasn't been shutdown by an admin before it does get out of hand.

Personally full encryption, I don't support. Some encryption (undercover ops, SWAT, VIP protection) I do.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The one thing that popped out at me was that us tax payers pay for this system and we have no rights or decision making in this process. Public Safety just ignores us tax payers for the purchase and maintenance of our own systems.

The video sure was interesting and entertaining. Only if that bill would of been passed in Colorado then some change would of slowly possibly happened.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Personally full encryption, I don't support. Some encryption (undercover ops, SWAT, VIP protection) I do.
I'm with Lynn on this. I have heard undercover ops that should be encrypted, versus my tax dollars being wasted for all of the resources and efforts to build a case only to have it undone by bad people monitoring and undoing the hard work.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
There is an announcement at the start of this forum about 'negative comments' regarding encryption. I'm surprised this hasn't been shutdown by an admin before it does get out of hand.

That's actually not what the announcement says.

DJ11DLN

Some comms should be secure. Routine stuff should be accessible. As a taxpayer I see the need for the latter, as someone who has been involved in PS for a lot of years, I understand the former. I've used my cell to ask or tell Dispatch something many times because I knew it wasn't something that fell under the "everybody should know this" heading.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a slippery slope...many agencies who start out with one or a couple or a few Tact/Ops TGs with privacy seem to eventually feel the need to go 100%. The former is in my opinion appropriate, if used responsibly, the latter not so much.

Anyway, that's my opinion, and it's worth what it cost you to read it...

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Premium Subscriber
For those of you want SOME encryption....WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE HERE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?...on a SCANNER FORUM?!? I guess you've NEVER heard the term....OPEN THAT DOOR. Welcome to the United States of CANADA people!!!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For those of you want SOME encryption....WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE HERE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?...on a SCANNER FORUM?!? I guess you've NEVER heard the term....OPEN THAT DOOR. Welcome to the United States of CANADA people!!!
I am able to think critically. This skill additionally provides me the ability to discern a false dilemma (all or nothing) fallacy.

This forum has provided skilled experienced individuals an outlet to share their knowledge, I am quite fond of that. I have found this forum and the efforts of those that keep it going quite useful.

Last edited:

SQP

Senior Member OMIK
Premium Subscriber
Canadian MILK tastes better than Krogers!!!!! Love that CANADIAN maple syrup too!!!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Good thing this got moved to the Tavern, because it just got...weird...

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The one thing that popped out at me was that us tax payers pay for this system and we have no rights or decision making in this process.

Your rights and decision making in regards to encryption starts and stops at the voting booth. Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend? The typical scanner enthusiast is not qualified to participate in the needs assessments that take place prior to undergoing a major project like a new radio system where encryption might play a part, which is at least partially why you didn't get asked.

Want to make your voice heard? Vote out the people who made the decisions. If they get voted out of office, make sure they understand why you voted that way.

Public Safety just ignores us tax payers for the purchase and maintenance of our own systems.

Your own systems? :roll:

Tax payer dollars pays for a lot of stuff, and as a result there should be transparency in how the financial decisions are made, and where the money goes, but that does not extend to a right to listen in on communications that are not intended as broadcasts to the general public. If THAT'S what you want, listen and donate to NPR.

The police and fire departments are not chartered to provide programmed listening material.

Our tax dollars helped pay for an aircraft carrier or three, but you don't have the right to tell the Navy how to run it. Our tax dollars payed for the moon landings, but we can't demand that NASA give us all a moon rock.

The same holds true for radio systems. The law enforcement community has the perception that the threats they face are more dangerous than in years past. Encryption is just another tool to use. Hobbyists are collateral damage, oh well.

Make your feelings known at the ballot box, but know when you get there that you're probably in a minority. The preponderance of scanner users here on RR may give one the false impression that it's a popular and widespread hobby. It is not. Those of us who like to listen, are just fiercely loyal.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

Next time I'm at work plugging the keyloader into a radio, I'll think of you, your post, and I'll wonder what the hell Canada has to do with any of this. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.