Icom: IC-746 to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

totibross

Hello everyone.. I'd really appreciate some information on this topic..
The manual is very vague when it comes to connecting this radio to your PC.
There are some cables sold by RTsystems and it seems you can manage the memories, but I wanted to use the RS-746 Software.. What do I need to do??
I've posted a picture of the screenshot..

Another feature I really want to know how to use and if it is even possible is can I transmit RTTY??

Attachments

• 2018-09-11_14-50-17.jpg
    2018-09-11_14-50-17.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 175

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you talking about an IC-746 or an IC-746 Pro? They are different radios.

Have you read the manual for the radio to determine its capabilities?

My guess is that the RS-746 software is just designed to upload/download the radio's memories and that it doesn't have radio control features.

Murphy625

I have an ICOM 746 (non pro) and it can be controlled with a PC but I'm not at all familiar with the RS-746 software.
The radio doesn't care what software you're using, its the software itself that has to be configured for the model radio so it knows which commands to send.

When I spent time learning to decode the digital modes, I discovered the ICOM 746 has a few jacks on the rear panel for controlling the rig and sending data.
Refer to page 68 (rear panel connections) of the manual to locate them and page 72 for proper wiring of the data mode (ACC 1 and/or ACC 2) jacks.

For simple remote control of the rig, you can purchase a cheap patch cord for around $25 that plugs into the remote control jack of the rig and a standard USB port on your computer. All this cord does is allow you to remote control the radio's functions from the computer screen.

Its easy to receive data.. heck, you don't even need the back panel connections for that, just an audio connection to the computer's sound card.

Sending data is another story, to send data, you will require a breakout box. I think its called a CIV CAT interface for your computer. They're usually under $100 or so and you'll have to either build the interface cable or purchase one designed for your radio.

I never got into sending data, just listening and decoding it.... I believe you can find CIV CAT interfaces on Ebay.

W8SQY

I believe I used MixW or whatever it was called back in early 2000 for RTTY with my then IC-746. I'm sure there are other programs out there now.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Hello everyone.. I'd really appreciate some information on this topic..
The manual is very vague when it comes to connecting this radio to your PC.
There are some cables sold by RTsystems and it seems you can manage the memories, but I wanted to use the RS-746 Software.. What do I need to do??
I've posted a picture of the screenshot..

Another feature I really want to know how to use and if it is even possible is can I transmit RTTY??

Looking at the RT web page it appears their cable and software can only be used for programming memories and settings, not full control.

For full radio control you need a CI-V cable. There are oodles of schematics (from simple to complicated) for them out there, including these:

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7700/7700hw_sw_setups.pdf

ICOM CI-V Interface

Ham Radio :Amateur Radio

DF4OR: ICOM CI-V Information - Level Converter

https://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html

I built the G3VGR interface for my IC-746 Pro; simplicity itself, a couple of 2N2222A transistors, a 1N914 diode, a 10k resistor and three 4.7k resistors. Works like a charm.

You should also have no problem running RTTY (or RATT as the MARS types call it). You can either use a sound card adaptor to the headphone and mike connectors, or use the ACC(1) jack. For RTTY you can also get a bit more complicated and use the FSK input on the ACC(1) connector.

I use a proper sound card interface with FLDIGI software going to the ACC(1) jack for digital modes, works just fine and keeps the mike jack available for a mike. I have never had a problem using AFSK instead of FSK.

I'd recommend building a sound card interface and CI-V interface into the same box with the appropriate connectors to go to the radio. Makes for a neater installation.

Last edited:

totibross

Thanks

Thanks a lot to all.. I was a little scared that I was not going to be able to do what I wanted,.,,
I'll keep you posted as I go along..

km6tcc

k4fx

The FSK option is well worth the effort. Icoms work extremely well on RTTY.

Great radios

Bill K4FX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.