Cheap PRO-18 on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

A bunch of brand new RS PRO-18 scanners has appeared on the bay in the last few week. Prices around $125 or less.
I was skeptical, poor pics and little info. No contact from sellers as to questions.
But I took a shot and got two of them.
Brand new in box.

I put this under Whistler because you can send them in to Whistler and convert them to Phase 2 and DMR
Or, you can do it yourself.

Anyway, if any more of them appear, this is a scanner than can receive the same systems as the latest offerings for a dirt cheap price.

DJ11DLN

Probably someone grabbed them when RS was dumping them on Overstock for like $75 a few years ago. I sure wish I'd found out about it before they were all gone. They will make decent radios for some folks out of the box, and even better if they send them to Whistler for the upgrade. My Pro-18 was a pretty good scanner before the upgrade and has been a real champ ever since. About all it won't do that a PSR-800/WS-1080 will is the programmable LED. Still pretty hard to beat for the price!

scosgt

There have been around 4 or 5 different sellers.
The one I got the second one from already raised the price to $174, a $50 increase.
While they don't have the LED, if you use them on TRX Android suite they will show the LED colors on the remote.
And after the first wave, a few suddenly popped up for $200+
Opportunists.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Picked up two last week for $112 now the same seller is at $174. I already sent one to Whistler. The seller i bought from still states they have more than 10 available.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well that being said just got home and opened it. Front case and display scratched to beat hell.

I never sent my PSR-800 in but have always wondered if Whistler puts some kind of label on radios they converted to WS-1080 models, a label that now says Whistler and WS-1080 on them instead of GRE or Radio Shack.
I'd think they would put some kind of identifying label on those they officially converted but don't know. I don't think I've ever seen anyone comment on this aspect of Whistler's conversion or update program.

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
That's a bummer.
Are you sure the radio they sent you back is indeed the one you sent them or do you think Whistler may just be swapping out radios they have already converted for a really fast turnaround?

I never sent my PSR-800 in but have always wondered if Whistler puts some kind of label on radios they converted to WS-1080 models, a label that now says Whistler and WS-1080 on them instead of GRE or Radio Shack.
I'd think they would put some kind of identifying label on those they officially converted but don't know. I don't think I've ever seen anyone comment on this aspect of Whistler's conversion or update program.
No it is the one I sent same serial number. And they replace the faceplate with a 1080 faceplate.

mule1075

Feed Provider
OK I am a moron. Just got a reply from whistler it is a piece of protective plastics over the display. I need more caffeine I guess and a eye doctors appointment!. No sense in being stupid unless you show it to the world.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
We shall see. When the unit is on the scratches are not noticeable at all. I am not going to get to upset about it.

I'd probably be the same and not really be upset about it. When you look at your total investment in a digital scanner that is still supported by firmware updates, a few scratches is not bad!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
OK I am a moron. Just got a reply from whistler it is a piece of protective plastics over the display. I need more caffeine I guess and a eye doctors appointment!. No sense in being stupid unless you show it to the world.

Hey, at least I got a good laugh from it all!

Reminds me of I think a RH96 remote head for the Uniden 996 line. I swore they did not send the special serial cable needed as it was not in the box.
After looking probably a dozen times, the cable was in the box all along! It was tucked in tight in one end.
I think it may have actually been the 996T or XT scanner and not the remote head that I missed the cable in.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Well I am glad everyone got a good chuckle including me. Now back to the topic some new pro18's are floating around ebay right now for a good price and with the price of the upgrade you can have a phase 1&2 and dmr capable scanner for right around $200. This will complement my sds100 on the radio desk.

DJ11DLN

Glad it turned out all right for you. They are good scanners out of the box and even better with the upgrade.

And don't feel bad about the brain fart...I have those daily.:(

K2RNI

Well I am glad everyone got a good chuckle including me. Now back to the topic some new pro18's are floating around ebay right now for a good price and with the price of the upgrade you can have a phase 1&2 and dmr capable scanner for right around $200. This will complement my sds100 on the radio desk.

SDS100 is overpriced poop on the desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.