listening on Tecsun PL880 longwave/shortwave SSB ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

I bough a PL880 today.
For those of you who have similar radios what do you like to listen to?
What do you find interesting?
I'm scanning the frequencies now and am picking up all sorts of stuff including different languages.

Is there a directory for what can be found on the frequencies?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are all sorts of 'directories' depending on what you want to listen to. Be a bit more specific - what do you want to hear? Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Go to...

http://www.eibispace.de/

and on the English side of the page click on 'text' or "CSV database' .

Lower down the page you can download "EiBiView" to display and search the csv database.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Basic rule of thumb; listen above 10 Mhz during the day, below that at night. There are certain changes in the ionosphere that make this rule work - and when I have a minute I'll find a good website for you to read up on this. Sadly the AE4RV site is gone...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That representation is in Mhz (megahertz) - the equivalent is 7268 khz (kilohertz). Simple movement of the decimal point. Same difference, but most all hobby listings in the various mailing lists are in khz .

There is a link in the DXing.com site I gave earlier that talks about this....time to start reading. Much you can learn by reading, my young paduwon.....Mike

Last edited:

trx680

That representation is in Mhz (megahertz) - the equivalent is 7268 khz (kilohertz). Simple movement of the decimal point. Same difference, but most all hobby listings in the various mailing lists are in khz .

There is a link in the DXing.com site I gave earlier that talks about this....time to start reading. Much you can learn by reading, my young paduwon.....Mike

Gotcha, thanks!!
I tuned in but wasn't picking up anything

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By the way, the longwave band (starting from about 500 khz on down) is not used for broadcasting in North America. If you do hear some stations there, it's likely it's being caused by overloading from the MW band. Nothing to worry about - a lot of radios have this fault

Other users there are here, including hams, but get to that we will when ready you are.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Depending on where you are listening, Cuba is big on this, and there are other Spanish speakers as well. You can easily recognize the IDs at the top or bottom of the hour. The eibi list given earlier will help but resist the temptation to say 'because the eibi list says it's this, that's what it is'. Schedules can and do change, often without notice. Using a list like that is referred to as 'list logging' and is generally frowned upon. One name of this hobby is Short Wave Listening (SWL) - so listen... Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.