Kenwood: Kenwood TM-V71A question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiyudurin

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this radio and have a question. I have searched this forum and others with no success.

Is there a way to lock the A and B sides to work on one band only? What I would like to do is "lock" one side to operate on 2m only and the other side to 70cm only. I'm not interested in cross band operation at this time. I'm I asking the impossible or does this radio have this feature?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have searched this forum and others with no success.
Ah, but have you read the manual? ;)

The "Memory Recall Method" described on page 34 of the manual is the closest I think this radio comes to what you are looking for. When Menu 201 is set to CURENT, and VFO A is on VHF, you'll only be able to recall VHF memories on the A side. Likewise, if VFO B is on UHF, you'll only be able to recall UHF memories on the B side.

By default, Menu 201 is set to ALL, and you can recall any memory on either side of the radio (except that AM memories can only be recalled on the A side).

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
By default, Menu 201 is set to ALL, and you can recall any memory on either side of the radio (except that AM memories can only be recalled on the A side).
This was one of the things I liked most about the antique, original TM-V7A. Having different frequencies in A and B makes great sense, especially if you want to monitor a specific freq on A and use B for scanning.

If both A and B have the same pool of freqs, it renders the scan function pretty much useless! :roll:

hiyudurin

I have read through the manual. What you suggested only works for the programmed memory channels. While that does help, it's not exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I was also somewhat disappointed that my shiny new TM-V71A does not support the feature that the TM-V7A does, which is the ability to designate a block of channels to A and the remaining channels to B.

My antique still runs wonderfully, but unfortunately the 'blue display' is horribly pixelated and nearly illegible. I use it now as a dedicated V/U simplex monitor.

FKimble

See page 17 of the manual,selecting a frequency band. Each side can be set up for a different operating band.

Frank KK4ytm

N4KVE

My antique still runs wonderfully, but unfortunately the 'blue display' is horribly pixelated and nearly illegible. I use it now as a dedicated V/U simplex monitor.
I have read reviews on E-Ham.Net about a guy that fixes that problem. I don’t remember his name, but everybody who has had him fix their display swears by him. Shouldn’t be too difficult to google that up.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
See page 17 of the manual,selecting a frequency band. Each side can be set up for a different operating band.
That just explains how to select different bands. The OP wants to "lock" the two sides of the radio to different bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.