SDS-100 ..Battery use.. Current draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbar

Battery/current observations on a SDS100
Using Drok USB tester
Running from upper port when noted ( micro )
Running from lower port when noted ( mini )
"Set charge while on " enabled/disabled when noted.
Using the new larger battery
Display is on constantly and at 40% and color
=====================
Full charge ... green light.. 4.21- 4.23 volts
------------
Full charge and scanning on micro port.
"Set charge while on" is enabled
Current draw is .75 while scanning
Green light is on
-------------------------
If SDS100 is OFF...
Will continue to charge till amp draw is .15
at which time the green light will come on and the red will go off
and the draw goes down to .01 amps.
----------------------------
It appears to me that there is no way to overcharge the battery
if you leave it plugged in all the time.
It also does not appear to impact the temperature of the unit either way.

This was really good news to me is why I am posting this.
I am hopelessly anal when using batteries and monitoring heat.

I might have wasted the $30 bucks I paid for component failure insurance.

I have tried using both the upper port and lower port to see if I can see
any difference in operation or battery life... I can see none if any,

Only drawback I have found running from the upper port is IF I
for some reason cut power/ forget .. etc the scanner will continue
scanning on battery and I can run down the battery without realizing it.

Therefore.. I am running from the lower port at all times now and leaving the
"Set charge while on" enabled.

I could find no advantage from using the upper port at this time.. like someone said.. perhaps there is a surprise coming from Uniden concerning the upper port.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Too bad they couldn't made the charge port micro or usb c. I can't find any macro end since I need a longer cord.

AvidHiker

It is unfortunate we're stuck with this (basically obsolete) mini-USB connection, since many of these cables, particularly longer lengths, don't have sufficiently large gauge conductors to support the high draw of the SDS when charging while powered up. Cablestogo, as suggest above, may be worth a try since they do sell 3 and 5m cables with 24AWG conductors (Ultima USB2 to mini-B), although they don't make any specific claims regarding current limits. Personally, I'd much prefer a heavier gauge at such lengths, even if it's overkill. I hate seeing all the voltage drop that results from these tiny wires.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It is unfortunate we're stuck with this (basically obsolete) mini-USB connection, since many of these cables, particularly longer lengths, don't have sufficiently large gauge conductors to support the high draw of the SDS when charging while powered up. Cablestogo, as suggest above, may be worth a try since they do sell 3 and 5m cables with 24AWG conductors (Ultima USB2 to mini-B), although they don't make any specific claims regarding current limits. Personally, I'd much prefer a heavier gauge at such lengths, even if it's overkill. I hate seeing all the voltage drop that results from these tiny wires.

Monoprice has a 6-foot USB-A to USB-mini cable with gold plated connectors, 24AWG power conductors and 28AWG signal conductors.

They have them in 1.5, 3, 6, 10 and 15 foot lengths.

The best part? Only $1.48 each for the 6-foot version. The 15-foot version (4.572 meters) is only $2.15.

I've ordered from Monoprice many times in the past; top quality goods at excellent prices. I do have occasional "Low USB Bus voltage" warnings when using a 3 foot run-of-the mill USB cable, so this should do nicely.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5448&seq=1&format=2

In fact, I just ordered the 6ft and 10ft versions to use with the SDS100 and my Unication G5.

Last edited:

AvidHiker

Haven't done any shopping myself, but yes, monoprice is usually my first stop. Still would like to find something with at least 20 AWG conductors, and maybe even a right angle connector, but since it's so outdated, the variety of mini-USB cables is severely lacking. After a quick search, I do see a company in the UK selling this gauge cable, in several lengths, for certain Nintendo systems, but shipping isn't available to the US.

racing1

Monoprice has a 6-foot USB-A to USB-mini cable with gold plated connectors, 24AWG power conductors and 28AWG signal conductors.

They have them in 1.5, 3, 6, 10 and 15 foot lengths.

The best part? Only $1.48 each for the 6-foot version. The 15-foot version (4.572 meters) is only $2.15.

I've ordered from Monoprice many times in the past; top quality goods at excellent prices. I do have occasional "Low USB Bus voltage" warnings when using a 3 foot run-of-the mill USB cable, so this should do nicely.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5448&seq=1&format=2

In fact, I just ordered the 6ft and 10ft versions to use with the SDS100 and my Unication G5.
Link is broken.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Link is broken.

Worked fine for me just now (clicking in the quoted message), but you can also search for product # 5448 which will bring up the 6ft version.

These also include the molded ferrite for noise reduction.

Last edited:

racing1

Worked fine for me just now (clicking in the quoted message), but you can also search for product # 5448 which will bring up the 6ft version.

These also include the molded ferrite for noise reduction.
What's a better cable? The 24AWG or the 28AWG?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What's a better cable? The 24AWG or the 28AWG?

Both wire sizes are contained are in the noted Monoprice cables, which use 24AWG for the power conductors and 28AWG for the signal conductors.

For power conductors you want a conductor of the largest reasonable size (smallest number) possible, but 24AWG is about the largest you'll find in this application. Any larger and the cable size starts to get to be too big for most users.

Single core 24AWG is rated at 3.5 amps, although multi-core wire is rated lower (around 1.5 amps); USB cables typically use multi-core cables for flexibility. 1.5 amps is about twice what the SDS100 needs, and 24AWG is likely what is in the cable supplied with the SDS100.

racing1

Both wire sizes are contained are in the noted Monoprice cables, which use 24AWG for the power conductors and 28AWG for the signal conductors.

For power conductors you want a conductor of the largest reasonable size (smallest number) possible, but 24AWG is about the largest you'll find in this application. Any larger and the cable size starts to get to be too big for most users.

Single core 24AWG is rated at 3.5 amps, although multi-core wire is rated lower (around 1.5 amps); USB cables typically use multi-core cables for flexibility. 1.5 amps is about twice what the SDS100 needs, and 24AWG is likely what is in the cable supplied with the SDS100.
According to the site,the 24AWG cable should be available for shipment starting today. Should I order that one or the 28AWG one?

racing1

Also according to the 3 cables listed on this page there is a 24AWG,28AWG,and a 24/28AWG. why would the last one contain a combo of the first two?
3e718cee3ba0161453e20b71375fdf74.jpg

AvidHiker

^ Those all look the same to me. As was already mentioned, this is the standard design, 28 for data, 24 for power.

Jon had measured the draw of the SDS to be 1.4A if charging while powered up. While perhaps technically acceptable, this would result in a drop of over 0.4 volts through 6 feet of 24 AWG wire (not to mention the fact that they're sourcing the cheapest stuff they can find from China). I know, I have power OCD.

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/371976-warmth-issue.html#post2949014

AvidHiker

Update on my quest for a beefier cable - I purchased the 20 AWG cable that I linked to earlier in this thread ($12 shipped). I then cut it down to about 6 feet in length (all wires soldered and heat-shrinked). I've made a few quick measurements using a USB power meter sold by Eversame (via Amazon). The SDS's battery was at around 50% (SDS reporting a battery voltage of 3.7V), so it should have been attempting to charge at full speed, and I waited about 1 minute before taking a reading. I recorded the wattage value because it tends to be more stable on this meter. With the unit off, using the stock charger, I see a small bump in power draw from my modified 20 AWG cable (about 5%). But, with the unit powered up and scanning, it draws almost 20% more power using my modified cable. I had the Vbus voltage display enabled on the SDS and that shows the "benefit" of my heavier gauge cable is that the radio receives 4.7-4.8 volts, rather than 4.4-4.5 volts from the stock cable. Whether or not this results in significantly faster charging (or more or less heat) remains to be seen, but I found it interesting.

Also, side note, I took the same readings using 2 other USB power sources. One was a Samsung "fast charge" capable supply (the one that came with my Galaxy S8) and the other was the Monoprice 80W 5-Port USB Smart Charger. Power draw from the Samsung charger was always lowest using the stock cable, so that may not be well suited to this radio. The SDS100 was able to draw the most power from the Monoprice charger (which is supposedly designed to maximize charge rates for all devices) at 7.6 watts through my modified cable (versus 6.0 via the stock cable with the stock charger).

Status
Not open for further replies.