Ok, it's been 3.5 months & still having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I've got almost 50 hours into my SDS100 & still am getting "Nothing To Scan". I'll be the first to admit I'm all thumbs when it comes to programming these, although I've done my 996XT, 396T, my PSR800 and all my handi talkies. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong in the SW or the scanner.

I'm in the Hudson valley of NY state & trying to load a P25 trunked system. I went into Sentinel & created a new FL, got what I wanted from the database, avoided sites that I never travel near, created a profile, edit> edit profile.....monitor on, Download on, QK #1, Location off (this trunked system is statewide).

I write it to the sds100, see it loading the FL, then.........NOTHING TO SCAN. I am at the end of my rope with this. HELP, please........before I use this thing for target practice!

Thanks,
Bob
N2OAM

troymail

Silent Key
You say "QK #1" - which QK? FQK? SQK? DQK?

I am willing to look at your programming if you want to export a copy and post or send it to me...

In Sentinel, File -> Export To HPE File and then post it here (or send me a PM).

Are they encrypted?

I don't think that would cause a Nothing To Scan message (but I suppose it might if Uniden filters out encrypted talkgroups and everything is encrypted...)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've got almost 50 hours into my SDS100 & still am getting "Nothing To Scan". I'll be the first to admit I'm all thumbs when it comes to programming these, although I've done my 996XT, 396T, my PSR800 and all my handi talkies. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong in the SW or the scanner.

I'm in the Hudson valley of NY state & trying to load a P25 trunked system. I went into Sentinel & created a new FL, got what I wanted from the database, avoided sites that I never travel near, created a profile, edit> edit profile.....monitor on, Download on, QK #1, Location off (this trunked system is statewide).

I write it to the sds100, see it loading the FL, then.........NOTHING TO SCAN. I am at the end of my rope with this. HELP, please........before I use this thing for target practice!

Thanks,
Bob
N2OAM
Start by looking at the information on this Wiki page:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Nothing_to_Scan
The section labeled as DMA 3-Tier would apply to your SDS100.

You indicate that you had created a Favorites list in Sentinel. Did you create that by entering the information, for your systems of interest, manually, or did you append the systems from the main database? If you created them by hand, did you also manually update the location information? If not, and if you are using 'Location Control', you would get "Nothing to Scan" since without the correct location being added for the systems, sites, and departments, the scanner would use the "0 degrees' for both latitude & longitude as your location. That is off the coast of Africa, in the Atlantic Ocean. If you had appended the systems from the main database, the correct location would be present for the list, systems, sites, and departments. If you have Location control, make sure, as Doc Daddy noted, that your correct location is set. Also make sure that, if Location is being used, that all your lists, systems, sites, etc, have their correct location entered.

As Citywide noted, Service Types are additional items that can be overlooked, By default, only the 'dispatch' types for Public Safety uses are enabled- Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. Be sure that the 'Talk' and 'Tac' types for each of those are also set to be monitored.

In your Profile, in Sentinel, be sure that your Favorites list is set both to Download and also for Monitor. If your list(s) are being downloaded to the scanner, but Monitor is set to No, then you would get Nothing to Scan.

As Troy has suggested, exporting your Favorites list and attaching it to a post would allow someone to check for any simple error or omission. Extended instructions for doing that:
Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Almost makes you wish for crystals again.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
The complexity of these scanners makes participating in this hobby extremely frustrating and challenging. I know there&#8217;s no going back or getting around it. They&#8217;re virtually impossible for most to program by hand, and even with Software there are still many layers of concepts that need to be understood to used effectively. I don&#8217;t have a good handle on any of it really. The cost of these scanners is too much to be in a constant state of frustration.

This is why some people will pay extra for professionals to set up their scanner. I know that is frowned upon by some of the hardcore users here. But for the layperson it can be worth it so they can use their scanner without having to be a radio expert.

i have been paid by many who wanted their scanners done asked if i would program it SURE i like to make a little extra money and their HAPPY when its all done..

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The complexity of these scanners makes participating in this hobby extremely frustrating and challenging. I know there’s no going back or getting around it. They’re virtually impossible for most to program by hand, and even with Software there are still many layers of concepts that need to be understood to used effectively. I don’t have a good handle on any of it really. The cost of these scanners is too much to be in a constant state of frustration.

This is why some people will pay extra for professionals to set up their scanner. I know that is frowned upon by some of the hardcore users here. But for the layperson it can be worth it so they can use their scanner without having to be a radio expert.

You make a great point. I've been around electronics & radio for years and sometimes I have to stop and re-assess what I'm doing. Fortunately, I don't have to pay anyone to program my scanners.

garys

Premium Subscriber
A frequent source of this kind of problem. At least with Mark 5:36, creating a new trunk system causes the system type to default to custom 1. If you don't have that service type enabled, the system will not be scannable.

That got me as recently as yesterday.

Are the service types turned on?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I also found out that if you create a new trunk system, don't enter any TG information and don't enable ID Search, the system will not be scanned. You won't necessarily get an error message, but the system will not scan.

A frequent source of this kind of problem. At least with Mark 5:36, creating a new trunk system causes the system type to default to custom 1. If you don't have that service type enabled, the system will not be scannable.

That got me as recently as yesterday.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
First, thanks to all who replied to my post. I'm always amazed at the wealth of info available on RR! Here's some answers to questions posted:
No, the system is not encrypted
The links posted are what put me on track to find the problem
Download and monitor were both turned on
Location was not enabled for this FL. This system is in 35 counties. I can hear the CC's from a few sites. The scanner just zips by other sites because it can't hear the CC's. No messing wth QK's......If it can hear the CC's, I'll hear comms.

Turns out the problem was not turning on the proper services in Sentinel. I had it turned on by the menu in the radio, but every time I uploaded to the radio, it changed to "off" the service I had turned on via the menu in the radio. My next issue is getting a QK set up to turn the FL on & off with one key press. SQK??

The system I'm trying to monitor is NY State Electric & Gas:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6033
What makes it difficult (trying to set up the SDS100) is long periods of inactivity, especially if the weather is nice. Another question.........what should the delay be set at? Seems like I'm missing a lot of comms, compared to my HP-1, using an identical rubber duck. At least my SDS100 is no longer a $649 brick!
Thanks to all who helped with my questions........I'm sure there will be many more.

Bob
N2OAM

garys

Premium Subscriber
These are very capable scanners, which means that they are very complex scanners. More than once I've done the exact same thing as you. Made a change on the radio and not made the change in the software.

Since I generally use ARC536 to program, I make a practice of doing frequency uploads to Sentinel as an additional back up. If I forget to do that and then for some reason use Sentinel to program the radio, I lose whatever updates I might have done.

I also sometimes get confused with FQKs and SQKs. If this is a separate favorite, you want a Favorites QK. If it's a system you want a System QK.

Then you also want to think about what Favorites you want to load with which Start Up Key.

For me at least, it takes several revisions to get these scanners up and running the way I want them too as opposed the way I thought I programmed them to. :roll:

First, thanks to all who replied to my post. I'm always amazed at the wealth of info available on RR! Here's some answers to questions posted:
No, the system is not encrypted
The links posted are what put me on track to find the problem
Download and monitor were both turned on
Location was not enabled for this FL. This system is in 35 counties. I can hear the CC's from a few sites. The scanner just zips by other sites because it can't hear the CC's. No messing wth QK's......If it can hear the CC's, I'll hear comms.

Turns out the problem was not turning on the proper services in Sentinel. I had it turned on by the menu in the radio, but every time I uploaded to the radio, it changed to "off" the service I had turned on via the menu in the radio. My next issue is getting a QK set up to turn the FL on & off with one key press. SQK??

The system I'm trying to monitor is NY State Electric & Gas:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6033
What makes it difficult (trying to set up the SDS100) is long periods of inactivity, especially if the weather is nice. Another question.........what should the delay be set at? Seems like I'm missing a lot of comms, compared to my HP-1, using an identical rubber duck. At least my SDS100 is no longer a $649 brick!
Thanks to all who helped with my questions........I'm sure there will be many more.

Bob
N2OAM

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hang in there, you'll get it. Sometimes it's the challenge that makes the hobby worthwhile. Transitioning to the new digital scanners was very frustrating for me, bought the 436 and gave up after a few weeks and sent it back to Scannermaster. Then this old fogey got just as frustrated with myself and decided to conquer the learning curve. Bought a BCD536HP, a Whistler 1065, and a TRX-1 at the same time. I was determined to learn the radios and the respective programming software. Thanks to a couple of very kind folks here who were very patient and understanding, I finally 'got' it - on all 3 radios, and while I may not have them mastered, I have them mastered enough for what I want to do with them. I recently acquired the SDS100 and got it down pretty fast. If this ol' fogey can go digital, anybody can!

Don't give up!

JD
kf4anc

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Almost makes you wish for crystals again.

I wish for crystals again! Only because everything was in the clear back in the golden days of scanning. Wow, to only live through hearing FBI, DEA, CIA, NSA, everybody and their cellphone IN THE CLEAR.

Medic444

Premium Subscriber
Start by looking at the information on this Wiki page:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Nothing_to_Scan
The section labeled as DMA 3-Tier would apply to your SDS100.

You indicate that you had created a Favorites list in Sentinel. Did you create that by entering the information, for your systems of interest, manually, or did you append the systems from the main database? If you created them by hand, did you also manually update the location information? If not, and if you are using 'Location Control', you would get "Nothing to Scan" since without the correct location being added for the systems, sites, and departments, the scanner would use the "0 degrees' for both latitude & longitude as your location. That is off the coast of Africa, in the Atlantic Ocean. If you had appended the systems from the main database, the correct location would be present for the list, systems, sites, and departments. If you have Location control, make sure, as Doc Daddy noted, that your correct location is set. Also make sure that, if Location is being used, that all your lists, systems, sites, etc, have their correct location entered.

As Citywide noted, Service Types are additional items that can be overlooked, By default, only the 'dispatch' types for Public Safety uses are enabled- Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. Be sure that the 'Talk' and 'Tac' types for each of those are also set to be monitored.

In your Profile, in Sentinel, be sure that your Favorites list is set both to Download and also for Monitor. If your list(s) are being downloaded to the scanner, but Monitor is set to No, then you would get Nothing to Scan.

As Troy has suggested, exporting your Favorites list and attaching it to a post would allow someone to check for any simple error or omission. Extended instructions for doing that:
Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

so I am at a complete loss and feel as though I am overlooking some minor check box. I am uploading a copy of the FL I tried to create and I am getting the nothing to scan error. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Lexington city.txt.txt
    800 bytes · Views: 6

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The only thing that could be when you see nothing to scan is the service types are not turned on and or your favorite list are not turned on. Why don't you go to your local state forum, to your County and try to establish a relationship with someone who lives nearby you and has your radio and meet with them and have them look at it.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I just looked at the dates here. The fact we have not heard from the o p I would assume he has the problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.