sds 100 or HP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
If you have simulcast issues you might need to check out the sds100. If you don't have simulcast issues the HP-2 will work fine. If you need to monitor dmr the HP-2 will not be you're choice. Bottom line it all depends on what you want to listen to.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Which one should I chose?
Thanks
A lot will depend on what you want to listen to. The HP2 will not receive DMR, NXDN or Provoice digital systems while the SDS-100 will (with paid upgrades). The HP2 does not receive Simulcast P25 systems reliably while the SDS-100 will (in most cases). The SDS-100 is a brand new design and is still going through growing pains, like all new models have.

Beyond that these two models were designed for different users. The HP2 as a simpler user interface (with a touch screen) and is missing some of the traditional scanner features.

Do you have a scanner now and if so, what model?

bee

I have the HP 2. It seems to excellent here in northeast Mississippi.

what am I missing?

Thanks

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
To see what you might be missing have another look at the recent post I've quoted. If you don't have simulcast distortion issues and are not interested in the added digital formats you should be fine.

A lot will depend on what you want to listen to. The HP2 will not receive DMR, NXDN or Provoice digital systems while the SDS-100 will (with paid upgrades). The HP2 does not receive Simulcast P25 sy stems reliably while the SDS-100 will (in most cases). The SDS-100 is a brand new design and is still going through growing pains, like all new models have.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
But I wonder, if I am missing anything here in Mississippi>
Looking at the Mississippi counties near enough to you that reception might be possible, I don't see any DMR systems listed. Public safety is either on the statewide P25 system or conventional (not trunked) which your HP-2 can receive.

For Alabama, I only see a business DMR trunked system in the counties just across the state line from you.

For Tennessee counties along the Tennessee, Mississippi, & Alabama border areas, I see several counties using DMR for their public safety.

So, if you are receiving the Mississippi agencies in range, and not having simulcast issues on the statewide system, your HP-2 should cover the area without issues. If you also want to be able to listen to some of the Tennessee counties just across the border, then you may want to consider getting either the SDS100 or a 436HP (536HP if you want a desktop unit). You would also need the DMR upgrade. As you have not indicated any simulcast issues with your HP-2, one of the x36HP scanners should work, and would be cheaper than the SDS100. But if you are having simulcast problems at times, or perhaps travel, taking your scanner, to areas with simulcast problems, then the SDS100 might be a better choice.

Also note that, although there are no DMR systems listed for your area, that format may still be in use, just not yet documented & submitted to the database. The most likely users would be businesses. I do see that Iuka is licensed for DMR on their PD dispatch frequency, but may not yet be using it.

Hit_Factor

I sold two HP2s to buy two SDS100s. The SDS100 does so much more and I like that. The HP2 is really easy to operate in a vehicle. Best display out there in my opinion. The SDS100 can be tricky, there is a thread from a guy saying he has had a SDS100 for 3.5 months and can't get it to do what he wants. You never see a thread like that for a HP2.

Factor in how hard you want to work on programming a scanner. Do you want to snoop for undocumented systems? Earlier posts say they checked the DB and there may not be anything around you. I bet there is plenty of monitoring to be 'discovered'.

I used the HP2 in my cars to monitor law enforcement. Pretty simple task and the HP2 was very good at it where I live. As I travelled I ran into systems with long squelch tails and simulcast. The SDS100 eats those up.

CQ

Do you have the money to spend on another scanner?

HP II
Has a larger screen and easier on the eyes
Made for simple operation

SDS100
Is an SDR so different technology than previous generation scanners
More complicated and customizable
More options for different modes

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Tramagod is right. Valid criticism should come from people with real life experience. I have an HP1, HP2, 436 & SDS100. All have certain limitations but all of mine do what they're supposed to and do it well. I would opt for the SDS100 if I were you. It covers more of the newer technology than the others and who know what might happen to the systems in Mississippi in the next year or two?

scannersnstuff

I have heard nothing but bad reception report's for the hp-2. The jury is still out, on the sds100. This is IMHO.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Valid criticism should come from people with real life experience.
This.

I just deleted several posts which did not answer the OPs question or were otherwise non-contributory to the thread. If you have owned or used the two scanners in question, your opinions and observations will probably be useful to the OP. If not, well, maybe not so much.

Tramagod

I have had the HP1 in the past but because of changes made in my listening area it no longer met my needs so I had to upgrade scanners because the HP1/2 can’t be upgraded to receive other services/systems such as ProVoice, dmr, and NXDN. This is something you may want to consider. You may not need those now, but if you need them in the future it would mean a new scanner instead of just a paid upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdp278

Feed Provider
I had a HP2 & sold it a few days after I received my SDS100. Main issue is the simulcast systems here in my area. The HP2 just couldn't handle those systems, & the SDS100 does a better job of reception, but the Unication G4 exceeds the SDS100 when it comes to the simulcast systems here. So I keep my SDS100 at home, & use the Unication G4 for my vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.