• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Switches - XTS3000-II: 3-pos ABC Toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some assistance with setting up Zone selection using the ABC toggle switch.

The rotary is set for channel selection and the concentric ring for scan mode; both work fine. Inputting Zone Select into any or all of the Three Position Toggle fields results with an invalid fields error pointing back to these same fields for Conventional and Trunking. The Trunking values are set to blank (also tried unprogrammed) for the Three Position Toggle fields.

The Zone Channel Assignment is:
Z1: Tac1
Z2: Tac2, Tac22
Z3: Tac3, Tac31, Tac32, Tac33
Z4: Tac4
Z5: Tac5

The Zone selection works fine on the soft buttons, but Id like to use the ABC switch to pick Zones 1-3.

Is this possible?

ME801

It's been a while since I programmed a 3K...have you tried removing the Zone Selection from the soft buttons, then adding it to the ABC switch?

Ive tried the experiment of removing Zones 4 and 5, and their reference in the scan list, and now with only 3 zones; the same invalid errors come up pointing to the ABC assignment fields. So it appears that theres more behind this than the number of zones being equal or less than the 3 toggle positions.

Was worth a shot. Anything else that might unlock this assignment mystery?

Experiment 2: same as above experiment plus removing Zone from soft button menu.
Same invalid result.

akardam

If you sent any of the 3-position toggle switch positions to Zone Select, you need to set them ALL to Zone Select, for both Conventional and Trunking (even if you're not using trunking).

And, since you indicate you have a model II (which has a limited keypad), you'll be able to use the keypad to select zones higher than 3, but if you move the toggle switch it'll dump you into whatever zone (A=1, B=2, C=3) you just selected. In other words, if you're in a zone higher than 3 and you bump it accidentally, you'd need to re-navigate to the higher zone using the keypad.

And...
Indeed setting all Conventional and Trunking fields to Zone Select results in a clean save. I had tried the 3 Conventional before, but being i didnt use Trunking, i had left those as Unprogrammed.

Thank you very much. Everyone.

Just tested it, and it works exactly as suggested, awesome. The ABC switch selects Z1-Z3.

So the ABC switch will only effect the first 3 zones (regardless their names), yes?

No way to have it pick Z2, Z3, Z4?

I guess the workaround would be to populate Z1-Z3 with the Channels of Z2-Z4

mastr

You cant have zone in two places..Its ABC or on the soft keys but not both

I am reasonably sure that you are mistaken. I have programmed countless XTS3000 with both toggle and soft key for zone selection. They work as described below.

...you'll be able to use the keypad to select zones higher than 3, but if you move the toggle switch it'll dump you into whatever zone (A=1, B=2, C=3) you just selected. In other words, if you're in a zone higher than 3 and you bump it accidentally, you'd need to re-navigate to the higher zone using the keypad.

It turns out that it works exactly as Akardam described. The ABC and soft buttons work together for Zone assignments. This Allows more than 3 zones to be used with only the first three listed (regardless their name) accessible via the ABC toggle switch. Effectively making them hardware priority Zones, from a quick access perspective.

And that's what we (motorcyle traffic officers) need b cause we cant always futz with buttons and displays on the bikes or off. Basically the toggle will be used as thus:
A: ERC (base)
B. Ride channels
C. Aux channels (some LAPD, some shared organization Ride channels, some lesser used channels)

And theres other zones/channels for city, county, Fire, Emergency, weather, radio. So its good we can access those with soft buttons when needed (rarely when riding and reaching to ones belt)

Then...

Regardless the Zone accessibility via the ABC switch and soft buttons/menus, the Scan list is not limited by the Zone button assignments. Which makes any Zone/channels available for monitoring. I use the concentric ring switch as the Scan toggle. I have to go back and set priority values.

These Moto XTS3K-II UHF radios play well with our Kenwood 8180 bike mounted and 2180/3180 portables. The programming software for the Motos is more complex than the Kenwoods, but theres more flexibly and depth with the Motos. The drag and drop mechanism between two CPS windows was a huge time saver in reimagining a radio.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Ill second the Zone toggle ABC as well as having them programmed in the menu feature for soft keys.
Its how i am amble to get to my 10 other zones when needed. Soft key zone up zone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.