SDS100/SDS200: Is This A Good Time To Buy The Uniden SDS100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was following the threads here regarding the SDS100, but then other things sidetracked me. I recall some criticisms that it wasn't as sensitive as some had hoped. There is, or at least was, a battery issue, but perhaps that is resolved now.

Anyway, now that some more time has passed, is this a good time to buy the Uniden SDS100? I assume that the street price is holding pretty steady. I am not necessarily in a huge hurry to buy it, so if potential deals come around on Black Friday, that would work for me.

Also, can anybody recommend who/where has the best reviews of the Uniden SDS100? Obviously I can Google that, but with something like this is seems to run the gamut from one extreme to the other. Some will say it is the best thing since sliced bread and others will trash it for what ever reason(s). So, who seems to have the most un-biased review of it?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You could spend hours (or maybe even days) reading the comments about the SDS100. All I can says is, it's my fifth Uniden scanner (396, HP1 & 2, 436) and they keep getting better and better.

I've had no trouble with any of them. The learning curve on the 396 was a little tough (especially coming from crystals) but it still works great. I had the clock malfunction on the 436 fixed but it really didn't matter to me. I almost never recorded and certainly didn't use it to tell time,

My recommendation? Go for it!!

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I would

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

scannermike11

Banned
well i am glad i am waitto see what Whistler can do

well i am glad i am waitto see what Whistler can do

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was up in the Twin Cities over Labor Day and use both a 436 and a SDS 100. It seemed to me that the 436 "latched on" to ARMER transmissions a little quicker than the SDS 100 did. When it did, the SDS 100 was a clearer with respect to simulcast distortion.

Unfortunately I was unable to post here while up there about the problem I was having. When I did, it was suggested some of my issues may improve with a long system hold time. Folks who offered this up said it made improvements for them.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have nothing but good things to say about the SDS100 and I was a very skeptical buyer. Best handheld scanner I have ever owned. I have none of the issues others here are reporting. VHF/UHF works fine, just as good as my BCD536HP and my TRX-1. Does a fantastic job on my local Ohio MARCS simulcast system. I have recommended and suggested this scanner to friends and fellow RVers and I hear no complaints whatsoever other than the programming learning curve which I help them with. In fact, the only time I hear complaints and negative reviews is when I log into the RR forums. I know a 75 y/o fellow RV camper who bought this scanner on my recommendation. I programmed it for him like I have mine and he just turns FLs on and off by individual consecutive QKs and he is off and running.

Whether it's a clunker production run, simple programming errors and oversights, or just too much scanner for some people to figure out, I have come to the conclusion that the SDS100 is not for everybody. I feel for the complainers and their frustrations and wish they could have the same scanning experience with this radio that thousands of us satisfied customers have.

JD
kf4anc

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have nothing but good things to say about the SDS100 and I was a very skeptical buyer. Best handheld scanner I have ever owned. I have none of the issues others here are reporting. VHF/UHF works fine, just as good as my BCD536HP and my TRX-1. Does a fantastic job on my local Ohio MARCS simulcast system. I have recommended and suggested this scanner to friends and fellow RVers and I hear no complaints whatsoever other than the programming learning curve which I help them with. In fact, the only time I hear complaints and negative reviews is when I log into the RR forums. I know a 75 y/o fellow RV camper who bought this scanner on my recommendation. I programmed it for him like I have mine and he just turns FLs on and off by individual consecutive QKs and he is off and running.

Whether it's a clunker production run, simple programming errors and oversights, or just too much scanner for some people to figure out, I have come to the conclusion that the SDS100 is not for everybody. I feel for the complainers and their frustrations and wish they could have the same scanning experience with this radio that thousands of us satisfied customers have.

JD
kf4anc

You and I disagree on a lot of things but I've gotta go with you on this one. My biggest complaint is the learning curve. As far as performance, it's second to none for me. My area is simulcast and I was fortunate in that I had few problems with it and my 436. Now I have no problems.

I've gotta go visit the grandkids so I'm leaving for Michigan (from GA) in a week or so and this will give me the opportunity to check it out with many different systems and with the GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.