Why would I want an R30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
No, I'm not a troll, and no, I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious. Other than "because I like to spend large sums of money on new electronic toys", why would I want an R30?

I currently have ... let's just say "several" ... scanners from both Uniden and Whistler. I pretty much just listen to public safety, which around here is a mixture of analog and P25 VHF Hi and UHF with a couple 700/800 P25 trunking systems thrown in. There are a couple DMR trunking systems used by businesses (which frankly I don't find exciting) and a couple more DMR public safety frequencies that I do listen to. The only NXDN I've found was one of the local garbage companies.

I've tried air band but it just doesn't do much for me, (which might partly be because I cannot hear much) and the few times I've put local ham repeater frequencies in I quickly become bored listening to conversations which I'm sure are fun and meaningful for the participants but to me are just noise that drowns out all the other scanners that are 'talking' at the same time.

So what would buying an R30 get me other than having another cool new toy to play with? What am I missing? I'm always open to new things to listen to. Be honest. If the answer is "nothing", then I'll save my pennies for a different toy!

Thanks.

kf6gpe

Ray, KF6GPE
The R30 might even be a step back for you, then, as it doesn't do DMR (although it does P25 and D-STAR), and can't directly follow trunks. It probably receives at higher frequencies than your current scanners, but there may or may not be stuff for you to listen to up there anyway. The Bluetooth and remote control are nice features, but certainly not must-haves at the price, especially if you are serious about DMR.

Don't get me wrong --- I love mine, and am showing it to everyone I know. But at first blush, it sounds like what you've got has got you covered. I graduated from a (now-dead) VR500, and it both scans faster and just plain does more, so I'm happy. And yeah, it's up there in the "cool toy" department. But if your receivers are working for you, it may not offer much more to you.

bgav

Sounds like you already talked yourself out of it. If you don't need a DC to daylight wideband handheld receiver with dual VFOs that can both receive (search/scan) & record simultaneously, has excellent selectivity and sensitivity, fast scanning/searching, sounds great receiving digital (P25, D-STAR, NXDN), has an iOS mobile remote control app (Android coming soon) built-in Bluetooth, etc. then don't talk yourself into buying one if you don't need one ;).

bgav

Oh thanks. I'm sure my wife will TOTALLY understand!

Seriously, as you can see from my signature I also have a BCD436HP and PSR-800 that handle monitoring of conventional and trunked/digital public safety systems. My R30 compliments them well for frequency discovery, civ/milair, and rail monitoring. It also does a good job DXing SW bands. It’s truly a world class handheld wideband communications receiver and ICOM has been releasing frequent firmware updates to add features that include the remote control mobile apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
So what would buying an R30 get me other than having another cool new toy to play with? What am I missing? I'm always open to new things to listen to. Be honest. If the answer is "nothing", then I'll save my pennies for a different toy!

Thanks.

Back in the day scanning was about searching and discovering new frequencies. When analog was the norm there was no better way then having a wide band receiver. There was no limit to what you find , then digital came along and that was the new excitement. Unfortunately wide receivers never kept up with the ever changing digital age.

Fast forward to 2018 and we now have a wideband receiver that scan very fast, decode multiple digital modes, simultaneously scan or search in dual mode. It can record audio,and support bluetooth accessories while using a wireless App. Amazing battery life, 3 power options and 3 software programs. It just brings the fun back into scanning.

pb_lonny

Back in the day scanning was about searching and discovering new frequencies. When analog was the norm there was no better way then having a wide band receiver. There was no limit to what you find , then digital came along and that was the new excitement. Unfortunately wide receivers never kept up with the ever changing digital age.

Fast forward to 2018 and we now have a wideband receiver that scan very fast, decode multiple digital modes, simultaneously scan or search in dual mode. It can record audio,and support bluetooth accessories while using a wireless App. Amazing battery life, 3 power options and 3 software programs. It just brings the fun back into scanning.

You have almost sold me on this now :)

bgav

You summed up it up perfectly. Dual mode adds incredible monitoring and frequency discovery capabilities. You can scan edge (search), memory scan, or park on a single frequency (a memory channel or direct frequency entry) in either A or B at the same time. You can also store new frequencies into memory (Auto Memory Write Mode) as they are discovered during a scan while also audio recording. Incredible capability.

Set the R30 to search, store, and audio record while unattended then review the audio to determine which newly found frequencies have interesting audio traffic...

43890254435_ba30067eda_b.jpg

I know the OP isn't into monitoring civair but this shows dual mode in action. Receiver A (bottom) is parked on a frequency and Receiver B (top) is scanning.

Click to play:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.