Pro-96: Pro-96 Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forrest_H

Hey all, long time lurker but first time poster.

I picked up a Pro-96 for $100 locally. The gentleman didn't include anything other than the radio itself, and I've been on the hunt for a programming cable.

I've seen several threads asking this same question over and over again but years ago. GRE no longer sells the correct cable and neither does Radio Shack (At least, not near me), and I can't seem to find a straight answer as to what cables (aftermarket or not) will work.

I'm a bit of an electronics nerd, so if there exists a DIY solution that is known to work with a pro-96, I'm absolutely game for it and I welcome a schematic.

TL;DR Does anyone know where to buy/how to make a programming cable for the Pro-96?

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FPOWLD

I have a Radio Shack Scanner Programming cable with software # 20546 that that has never been used. I would be willing to part with it. If interested PM me.

Forrest_H

I have a Radio Shack Scanner Programming cable with software # 20546 that that has never been used. I would be willing to part with it. If interested PM me.

Not sure if my previous post went through or not (or if I even made it at all, memory has been failing me lately) but chalk me up to definitely being interested. I was looking for more of a DIY solution just because I was looking for a fun project, but if you have something that is known to work, I'd absolutely take it.

Still welcoming in any DIY solutions as well for that purpose :)

Forrest_H

Did you look here - check the Aftermarket cable section...(which also has a link to a DIY project for the converter...)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

If you only have a few frequencies to program, you can do this manually - we have links to programming shortcuts here...

Getting Started with your PRO-96 or PRO-2096 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

I'll definitely check out the DIY cable in that, wasn't sure if it would work with what I have or not but since I've got a few Arduinos laying around, couldn't hurt to try :) I did manage to figure out how to program it via the keypad a few weeks back, but I'll check that guide again to make sure I didn't screw something up. I'm mostly wanting to play with the unlocked 700mhz to see if I can at least scan some frequencies in that range or not. Otherwise, I'd just have a way of quickly setting the scanner up for road trips instead of doing it manually.

Thanks so much Mike! You've been a huge help.

Ebay has them for sale all the time.

I guess that's where my confusion is since I don't want to screw up or buy the wrong cable; will literally any GRE or Whistler cable work? I could have sworn the 96 used a mono connection but I have no idea, I'm sure even if it did an adapter would work fine.

Thanks so much!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Make a note of this - you don't need to use the mono-stereo adapter (jumper?) that comes with the cable. Only a very few older RS scanners need this.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.