Yaesu: RT Systems programming cable problem / VX-8R

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have the RT Systems programming cable for the Yaesu VX-8R. When I plug the cable into the computer's USB port, it shows up in Device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "USB-59 Radio Cable".

The problem is that it apparently has no COM port assigned to it, and the software doesn't get a response from the radio when trying to download or upload from the radio; the software doesn't see the radio.

I did download and install the drivers (USBComDrivers21.exe) from RT Systems web site for their programming cable, but it doesn't work.

I have tried this arrangement on four different PC's with the same results. Both Windows 10 and Windows XP. The programming software I have is FTBVX8 from g4hfq. I also tried CHIRP, but I then read it doesn't work with the RT Systems cable.

prcguy

I believe the RT Systems cables are specific to their software and will not work with Chirp or the fine software from G4HFG. That and the very high cost of RT Systems cables and software is why I will never give them any business. How can they charge more for their precious software and cable than some radios cost new?

For my VX8R and several other radios I got a cheap Chinese cable and use Chirp for some radios and G4HFG for a few others and it works perfect every time.

I have the RT Systems programming cable for the Yaesu VX-8R. When I plug the cable into the computer's USB port, it shows up in Device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "USB-59 Radio Cable".

The problem is that it apparently has no COM port assigned to it, and the software doesn't get a response from the radio when trying to download or upload from the radio; the software doesn't see the radio.

I did download and install the drivers (USBComDrivers21.exe) from RT Systems web site for their programming cable, but it doesn't work.

I have tried this arrangement on four different PC's with the same results. Both Windows 10 and Windows XP. The programming software I have is FTBVX8 from g4hfq. I also tried CHIRP, but I then read it doesn't work with the RT Systems cable.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I believe the RT Systems cables are specific to their software and will not work with Chirp or the fine software from G4HFG. That and the very high cost of RT Systems cables and software is why I will never give them any business. How can they charge more for their precious software and cable than some radios cost new?

For my VX8R and several other radios I got a cheap Chinese cable and use Chirp for some radios and G4HFG for a few others and it works perfect every time.

Thanks for the response. That would explain why it won't work. I guess I will locate a cable from another source and hopefully have success.

CQ

$25 for RT Systems software only

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/VX-8-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/1919.htm

If you purchased this item new way back when it came out then the price is definitely reasonable.

I have close to 800 frequencies in my radios, and with RT Systems software it's pretty close to copy and paste between different models. Well worth the price of admission to play. The newer radios don't need proprietary cables and can be programmed via MicroSD cards and swapped between radios.

k6cpo

"How can they charge more for their precious software than some radios cost new?"

In a nutshell: Their stuff works. I've tried other cables and software and it's junk by comparison. I want to be sure that when i need to change the programming on a radio, it will work and I don't have to worry about COM ports or any of that other crap. And if you buy a radio for what their software and cables cost, you get a piece of Chinese junk...

You can always go for handouts. If this idiot can...

https://www.gofundme.com/peterstrzok

Don't succumb to online beggars...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
How can they charge more for their precious software and cable than some radios cost new?

CHIRP has it's place and I use it on some radios but RT Systems also has it's place. I travel a lot to visit family, go fishing, go golfing, with my band, etc. and I like the idea of having a quality program that can set virtually everything in the radio for a particular trip. RT has a definite place in the market. Their software works.

I install all my programming software (Sentinel, RT, CHIRP, etc.) on a 10-year-old Acer 10" computer. That's all I use the computer for. There are more RT programs on there than anything others. In addition, I program certain radios in the city's mobile command post with the same computer (see avatar).

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I was just able to get the RT Systems cable to work with the FTBVX8 software from g4hfq. I had to go into "settings, FTDI cable Detector". Using this worked, whereas I previously was trying to use the COM port detector.

Amazing what you can find by reading the help file. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.