Yaesu: Yaesu FT-70D Weather Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtderby

Premium Subscriber
There's a setting to have the radio periodically check the weather channels for the alert tone. I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the weather channels on the radio just to check the weather. The manual mentions how to get to them via a scan when the alert function is on but I'd like to do it without the alert function and scanning having to be done first. Anyone figure it out?

FKimble

I just program the NOAA frequencies into the highest numbered scan group on my handhelds. Then I can switch to this group any time and select the freq I want. Most of my "weather" comes from the west, so I usually listen to the site about 40 - 50 miles to my west to see what "weather" is headed my way. Sorry but I don't have your model radio, but my method works for me on several different models.

Frank KKyYTM

jtderby

Premium Subscriber
I just program the NOAA frequencies into the highest numbered scan group on my handhelds. Then I can switch to this group any time and select the freq I want. Most of my "weather" comes from the west, so I usually listen to the site about 40 - 50 miles to my west to see what "weather" is headed my way. Sorry but I don't have your model radio, but my method works for me on several different models.

Frank KKyYTM
That's what I ended up doing. Was hoping for a one button solution like the FT-60.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FKimble

Just looked at the manual for your radio. If I understand correctly, if you enable the Weather Alert function, #61 under set mode. then start scanning by hitting F then 2, it will start scanning and every 5 seconds switch to the weather channels. Watch the display and when weather channels are displayed, hit PTT twice and it will scan the weather channels. Or it could be that while scanning with Weather Alert enabled, anytime you can hit PTT twice to switch to the weather channels. Should be easy to try it out.

Frank KK4YTM

kayleesdad

Probably easier to program WX separately.

With F61 "on", the radio appears to check WX frequencies after 5 secs if no receive. If a WX frequency is heard, the lights show green/blue and the display shows a WX frequency.

Then hit ppt once to listen to that WX frequency, and ppt again to resume scanning only WX frequencies.

To break out if WX scan only, hit V/M key then F key then 2 key to scan what you were scanning before with F61 "on".

Probably better to program WX separately.

Maybe there is a better way?

Status
Not open for further replies.