Cherokee Pass VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Since Cheorkee Pass has gone to DMR. Has anyone heard and/or recording any traffic from.
Also got any TGIDs and/or UIDs for them.

Thanks a mega bunch.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Sorty I can't help you with the radio stuff but I must say, I like the town of Cherokee Pass. The name sounds like it belongs to a town in New Mexico, not MO. I have been through Cherokee Pass quite a bit and usually make a pit stop at the gas station right off Hwy 67. For years they had an old white metal bedpan outside the main door filled with sand to put cigarette butts in. Always gave a me a chuckle.

It makes me wonder why such a small and very rural area of MO would go through the expense of getting radios that are so hard to monitor. That must be very frustrating to all the volunteer personel in the area that now, for the most part, can't even monitor their own calls. Does not sound progressive to me.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Same here. Last time I visited the FD that they had an open house. I show a young lady that was looking some of the radios. I asked her if they had gone to DMR. She said yes.

Did not want to ask to many questions since there were others around at the time.

iamhere300

Kind of confused here. Almost all, if not all of the rest of the county is DMR or DMR capable. Range is better than analog. Coverage is very good. Radios are cheap, and the initial radios came on a grant.

What is not progressive there?

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Just thinking that such a rural area, sparsely populated with not a lot of money would spend any extra money on a new radio system. Not sure if the volunteers down there have the finances to be spending nearly $800 bucks on a scanner to monitor radio traffic in their county. Not sure if every member is assigned a radio from the county so they may not have one by their side at all times. No big deal, just an opinion.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Update : Today I heard Madison testing DMR on 154.250 S1, CC9 with Cherokee Pass VFD. The Talkgroup was 6 and from what I have seen thus far. the UIDs are 29,41,51 and what seems a Dispatch UID of 5602.

Note: The DSNs for Cherokee Pass are : 1-59 and Marquand VFD are 60-83 at least.

Hopefully we can nail down more.

iamhere300

Just thinking that such a rural area, sparsely populated with not a lot of money would spend any extra money on a new radio system. Not sure if the volunteers down there have the finances to be spending nearly $800 bucks on a scanner to monitor radio traffic in their county. Not sure if every member is assigned a radio from the county so they may not have one by their side at all times. No big deal, just an opinion.

DMR radios are cheap. Realy cheap.

For that 800 dollar scanner, they can get 4 DMR radios, or more.

They got the system on a grant, and they are on a damned fine tower in the county. Damned fine. Who ever let them on their tower at no charge must be a really nice guy. A prince even.

Status
Not open for further replies.