Home Patrol-1 Mode Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Thanks for all the previous help.
Not too sharp with this, so please bear with me.

Have a Home Patrol-1

Trying to receive my local P.D.
Live in Sudbury, Mass. (Middlesex County)

Apparently our P.D. is now P25

I went to Sentinel to put P25 in the Mode column
for it, but there is no P25 option.

Only:
Auto
AM
NFM
FM

I selected Auto, and downloaded to the HP-1, but hear nothing on
the local PD channel (852.9125)

Why no P25 option ?
*Should I be using Auto for mode, or...?

*Also I set IT to NAC Search. What is this, please ?
Is this correct for what I want to monitor ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks for help.
Much appreciated.

Sure is a lot to know.

I don't have the Extreme option.
Just the basic HP-1

Regards,
Bob

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Thanks for help.
Much appreciated.

Sure is a lot to know.

I don't have the Extreme option.
Just the basic HP-1

Regards,
Bob

Let me think about how to do this without the Extreme Upgrade. I've always had it on both my HP-1 and HP-2...

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Ok.

1. Use Sentinel to create a new Favorites List "Sudbury PD".
2. Edit/Program the "Sudbury PD" Favorites List.
3. Click on the green + (Append) under "Systems"
4. For System Name enter Sudbury PD
5. In the System Type pulldown, choose P25 One Frequency
6. In the Left Column click on Sudbury PD (2nd one down)
7. Under the Departments Tab, click on the green "Append"
8. Under Department Name, type Sudbury PD
9. Under the "Sites" tab, click Green append, name site "Site"
10. Choose Site in the left pane and under the Channels tab append Chanel to add 852.9215.
11. In the left pane, 2nd item down with Departments, Sites, Unit ID,s, Options tabs, under the Options tab select 443 under P25 NAC.

Save changes to the Favorite List then write it to your Home Patrol.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
See pages 19-21 in the Extreme Owner's manual:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/HomePatrol/WebHome/HomePatrol_OM_V2_Extreme.pdf

Program Sudbury PD as a P25 One Frequency Trunked system as noted and use the frequency 852.9125. Then go back and edit P25 NAC Option to set the NAC to 443.
Actually, unless you know for sure that Sudbury is using talkgroups on their digital frequency, it's not necessary to enter as a One Frequency Trunked System.
Hello,

Thanks for all the previous help.
Not too sharp with this, so please bear with me.

Have a Home Patrol-1

Trying to receive my local P.D.
Live in Sudbury, Mass. (Middlesex County)

Apparently our P.D. is now P25

I went to Sentinel to put P25 in the Mode column
for it, but there is no P25 option.

Only:
Auto
AM
NFM
FM

I selected Auto, and downloaded to the HP-1, but hear nothing on
the local PD channel (852.9125)

Why no P25 option ?
*Should I be using Auto for mode, or...?

*Also I set IT to NAC Search. What is this, please ?
Is this correct for what I want to monitor ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
In Sentinel, I presume that you already have a conventional system for Sudbury, perhaps as part of one for the various municipalities in Middlesex County. If so, you probably have a frequency already entered for Sudbury. If they've changed frequencies when they went digital, then edit the entry for Sudbury (probably entered as a Department within a conventional system covering the county) to update the frequency.

Once you've updated the frequency field to the new value, choose NFM for the Modulation field. Then, in field for Audio Option, make that field say Digital, instead of Analog or Search. On the same window that pops up, when you change to Digital, you'll see a column (in Sentinel) labeled as Digital Option. Select the bullet point next to P25 NAC. Then, in the field next to P25 NAC, choose the NAC value of 443. Then, be sure & save your changes before exiting the editor & writing the updated information to your scanner.

If you simply want to add the frequency, without replacing whatever the old channel was, then, in Sentinel, edit your Middlesex County conventional system. Click on the system name in your Favorites list, then, in the list of Departments that are displayed, select the one for Sudbury. After you select Sudbury, you'll see the currently programmed channels in the right side window. Click on the large green plus sign at the top of the screen in the right side window. That adds a channel.

On the new channel line, enter the text tag you want, then the frequency in the labeled field. Then, select NFM for Modulation, and Digital, as noted above, and also set the P25 NAC value.

Note that if you were going to simply create a new Favorites list in Sentinel, you could click on US in the left side window, then scroll down and select your state, Massachusetts. Under the state, scroll down till you find your county, Middlesex.

Under Middlesex, select the County Systems folder, clicking on the "+" (plus sign) to expand the folder comments. The item labeled as simply Middlesex contains all the conventional systems and frequencies used by the various agencies and municipalities in your county. Using the Favorites list editor, you could then trim or rearrange the systems as you wish. (Note that this would basically create the same type of system I mentioned at the top of this post, one with the conventional frequencies in use in your county.)

BOBRR

From OP Again (for Steve, et al): Clarifications ?

Hi,

Sure is a lot to know.
Will blame all my dumb questions on my age now.

Have changed my Sudbury parameters as you suggested in the Favorites List I have for Sudbury.
Now have:

NFM for Modulation
NAC 443

Have looked at the Database, which I should have a long time ago,
and noticed for Sudbury (under Mass/Middlesex County) is says:

FM for Modulation
Audio DCS 023

Really want to learn as much as possible, so let me please ask:
Haven't downloaded or evaluated yet on the HP-1, but was wondering
about the significance of the differences. Is it simply "whichever works best, or...?

And,

What are the differences between all the NAC number options, which I imagine
is Audio related ?

And, the difference between NAC and DCS for ?

I see that the System Type is listed as Conventional for "Sudbury" at the
highest level. Does this have any implication for the fact that the actual modulation
scheme for the P.D. is apparently digital ?

Much thanks,
Appreciate the time you have taken to explain this for me. Truly.

Bob

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've said it before: Almost makes you want to go back to crystals. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Sure is a lot to know.
Will blame all my dumb questions on my age now.

Have changed my Sudbury parameters as you suggested in the Favorites List I have for Sudbury.
Now have:

NFM for Modulation
NAC 443
That's the way Sudbury PD should be set, and is the same in the HP's database; the frequency should be 852.9125 with the Modulation set to FM (Auto would also work).

Have looked at the Database, which I should have a long time ago,
and noticed for Sudbury (under Mass/Middlesex County) is says:

FM for Modulation
Audio DCS 023
For your county (Middlesex), I only see DCS 023 listed for several frequencies used by Mulberry.
Really want to learn as much as possible, so let me please ask:
Haven't downloaded or evaluated yet on the HP-1, but was wondering
about the significance of the differences. Is it simply "whichever works best, or...?
Back in 2013, radio users were required to start using narrower transmission channels. The closer spacing allowed the creation of some additional frequencies available for assignment. Sort of re-striping a multi-lane stretch of road, making each lane narrower, and using the space "gained" to add one or more additional striped lanes.

See this Wiki article for more information: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Narrowbanding

And,

What are the differences between all the NAC number options, which I imagine
is Audio related ?

And, the difference between NAC and DCS for ?
For analog frequencies in use on a conventional system, you may see either a PL tone (alternate term is CTCSS) or DCS code in use. For conventional (non-trunked) digital frequencies, such as Sudbury PD, you may find a NAC code assigned. All of these perform the same function, They restrict reception of the channel to units using the same tone, code, or NAC. As frequencies are often assigned to more than one user, the tone or code allows them to ignore transmissions from another agency, on the same frequency, who is using a different tone or code. Other than the fact that are many more available choices available for NAC codes, they still are used for the same purpose, to reduce interference from other units on the same frequency, but at a different location (like an adjacent county, or one where farther away, has a signal strong enough to be heard over a wider area.
I see that the System Type is listed as Conventional for "Sudbury" at the highest level. Does this have any implication for the fact that the actual modulation
scheme for the P.D. is apparently digital ?
No effect at all, A Conventional system may contain one or more frequencies, in various transmission types- Analog, digital (P25), as well as DMR (a different form of digital transmissions).

Much thanks,
Appreciate the time you have taken to explain this for me. Truly.

Bob
You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.