• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-D1N Software Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6HMS

Okay, I'm a noob and I know it. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did some searching and didn't find an answer to my question.

A few years ago, my company began the process of purchasing a new 700MHz P25 system. I was comparing the NX-5000 series with the Moto APX 4000 series radios. I bought an NX-5200 so I could test the audio with an APX-4000 that I already had set up in the 2m ham band. I bought the license key for the software, and installed KPG-D1N as well as KPT-300LMC on my laptop. I was so impressed with the radio that I bought a second unit for my wife to use. I built a codeplug for the radios and haven't really messed with them since.

Unfortunately EF Johnson/Kenwood didn't submit a proposal when we flew the RFP (dummies), so my company went with Motorola. I'm pretty familiar with their CPS, as I use it regularly to tweak the codeplug for my APX-8000 that I now have. I love having multi-band capability, but I can't afford the $9700 price tag for personal use. Anyway, I did the math and figured it'd be much less expensive to get a NX-5700 and a NX-5800 configured in the multi-deck setup for use in my personal vehicle. I've since purchased an NX-5700, as well as the components for separating the control head (I'll add the NX-5800 later). I powered up the deck a short while ago, but I got an error message when I tried to read it, indicating I need an updated FPU. This doesn't come as a surprise, since I'm running version 1.65 of the software... LOL.

So my question... How do I update my KPG-D1N software? With Motorola I simply login to my account and download whatever I need. I looked around on Kenwood's site but couldn't find any kind of customer portal. Also, I don't see a way to check for updates using KPG-D1N or KPT-300LMC. Oh, and when my company when with Motorola it irked the local Kenwood guy... asking for his help really isn't an option.

Regards,
Trace

W6HMS

Need to get the software update from a dealer.

Do you happen to know if I can use an online dealer? Would they be able to send a zip of the latest software via email? Do I have to pay for it even though I have a valid license key?

It seems odd to me that Kenwood doesn't offer some sort of customer download for their software. They protect the software with the license key, so I'm not sure what limiting it to dealers does. Most of the vendor applications I use can be updated with a link. You'd think Kenwood would include that with their newer platform. Odd...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As long as your software is installed you can get radio firmware and software updates from any dealer. As far as I remember you have to buy RADIO UPGRADES P25 DMR from the dealer you bought your software from EVANS can answer that better than I can.

AD0TY

I can get the updated software for you if you need. I always recommend finding a local dealer if possible. You should have a relationship with a local dealer. If you can't find one, or don't get along with them for some reason, there are a few of us bouncing around on here that would be happy to help.

W6HMS

I can get the updated software for you if you need. I always recommend finding a local dealer if possible. You should have a relationship with a local dealer. If you can't find one, or don't get along with them for some reason, there are a few of us bouncing around on here that would be happy to help.

I completely agree, AD0TY. I wish I had a better relationship with the local guy. Unfortunately, he's the only guy in this region (large part of southern California). I guess I could give the sales rep a call and see if he has a contact in the LA/Orange County area. If you have any dealer recommendations please let me know.

W6HMS

Depending on the system, you may be required to use an advanced system key to edit the radio's codeplug.

My apologies, RocketNJ, I should've clarified a bit. I added some unrelated background in the OP... bit of a tangent I guess. The system I installed at work is a 700MHz Astro 25 system which requires a Motorola Advanced System Key. We don't have any Kenwood subscribers on this system.

The NX-5700 I purchased will only be used on conventional channels (mostly amateur use)... no trunked systems. The same will be true for the NX-5800 once I purchase that deck. I was able to program the two NX-5200 portables I have without a system key, so I'm guessing the same is true for the mobiles. Again, I just wanted a less-expensive option for multi-band that I could use in my personal vehicle. I like the APX-8000 multi-band portable I have for work, but spending $5k-$10k on a Motorola APX-8500 was a little out of my price range... LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.