• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Newbie questions about programming and licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am a total newb!!! I have access to a VHF radio to put into my semi but it’s on hold until I solve a couple of logistical issues.

I was checking online for various frequencies and ran across this forum and saw some things that I need to address.

My forum handle should make it obvious, but I’m going to state it so that the replies address MY questions: I am from Canada and drive exclusively in Canada.

Do I need a license to operate a VHF radio in Canada?

Is it legal to own and use a PROGRAMMABLE VHF radio in Canada?

I’ve seen mentioned in various threads but I’d like definitive answers on both.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoaster

Yes you do need a license to operate VHF in Canada. Since you are in a truck that has to hit the scales, it might be advisable to get one. I believe that's a favorite haunt for the radio cops.

No, a self programmable radio is not legal. (one that a frequency can be programmed by a sequence of button presses) see the last line in the cut and paste from a license.

What radio would you be using?

Appendix 6 on the radio license will provide the following frequencies.

Licence conditions & additional frequencies
The following WIDE AREA FREQUENCIES are available for general truck to truck
communications in the areas indicated:
Frequencies
Transmit - Receive Frequency and Conditions in MHz

153.05000 153.05000 Licensed mobiles, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT and Nunavut only, excluding a 90 km radius of Strathmore, Alberta.

154.10000 154.10000 Licensed mobiles, B.C., Yukon, NWT and Nunavut only, excluding
Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, B.C. (LAD-1)

154.32500 154.32500 Licensed mobiles, B.C., Yukon, NWT and Nunavut only, excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, B.C. (LAD-3)

158.94000 158.94000 Licensed mobiles, B.C., Yukon, NWT and Nunavut only. (LAD-2)

162.21000 162.21000 Licensed mobiles, Alberta, NWT and Nunavut only.

163.05000 163.05000 Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba only, excluding Saskatchewan north of 53 degrees latitude and east of 104 degrees longitude.

165.48000 165.48000 Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba only, excluding a 80 km radius of Weyburn, Saskatchewan and a 50 km radius of Grande Prairie, Alberta.

166.62000 166.62000 Licensed mobiles. Alberta and Saskatchewan only, excluding a 50 km radius of Calgary and Magrath, Alberta.

168.12000 168.12000 Licensed mobiles. Alberta wide only, excluding a 50 km radius of Lake Louise, Alberta.

173.37000 173.37000 Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan, B.C., Yukon, NWT and Nunavut only, excluding a 50 km radius of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. (LAD-4)

The use of marine, amateur and user programmable radio equipment is not permitted.

Thanks for quick reply. Radio is generic programmable radio, probably from China. [emoji16][emoji16] The price is right, probably due to issues with use in Canada.

How does one obtain a license, all I see are marine radio license.

What is the risk of using an “illegal” unit in Canada?

Why are programmable banned?

westcoaster

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf06052.html
Fill out the form and submit to Industry Canada

I'd suggest calling them first to make sure you are on the right track

Manitoba Manitoba District Office
400 St. Mary Avenue, 4th floor
Winnipeg MB R3C 4K5
Telephone: 1-800-665-3421
Fax: 204-984-6045
Email: ic.spectrumwinnipeg-winnipegspectre.ic@canada.ca
(By appointment only)

I'd be surprised if they did license the chinese radio. While not everything that comes out of that country is junk, there can be quite a few technical issues that would prohibit their licensing. User programmable would just be one of them....

Administrative Monetary Penalties
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10972.html
It was a quick google search... may or may not apply...

As for why user programmable radios are illegal...

I don't know the exact reason, but would suggest that the radio service would be rendered virtually useless if users were able to program whatever, wherever they want.

Picture that police/fire/ambulance radio not working because some joker wants to either be on that frequency or just a hair off...

westcoaster

Thanks for quick reply. Radio is generic programmable radio, probably from China. [emoji16][emoji16] The price is right, probably due to issues with use in Canada.

How does one obtain a license, all I see are marine radio license.

What is the risk of using an “illegal” unit in Canada?

Why are programmable banned?

This thread is pretty much what you want to look at before using the cheap chinese radio...
While the enforcement action is occurring in the states, Canada usually isn't that far behind...

https://forums.radioreference.com/i...nforcement-advisory-non-compliant-radios.html

It would be noted, that a used mobile radio would provide much better value for the money, be compliant, and one less thing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.